Gameday Tigers

Eligible Football Players Returning For The 2021 Season

LSUDad

LSU Center Liam Shanahan Announces Return for 2021 Season

Retaining veteran offensive lineman becomes first big win for Ed Orgeron this offseason
GLEN WEST
DEC 24, 2020

For the last few weeks of the regular season, Ed Orgeron has talked about how much he'd like for some of LSU's more veteran players to return for another season in Baton Rouge. One of the biggest areas Orgeron tried to re-recruit in recent weeks was the offensive line. 

Well Christmas came a little early for the purple and gold as center Liam Shanahan announced on Twitter that he'd be returning for the 2021 season. 

• Like 2

I guess I'm happy to see this, but early in the season, weren't defender just running untouched between Shanahan and Hines?  He has been criticized for being an undersized Ivy League player trying to make it in the SEC.  They say he's smart, that's good.  Maybe a year with Moffett will put some more muscle on him.  I guess for Shanahan, he must want a shot at the NFL, but feel he's not physically ready yet and another year of bulking up and good film fighting in the SEC is to his advantage to be noticed by the NFL, and that is probably a correct assessment.  But, experience is good for LSU, we all saw what lack of experience cost us.

Liam looked better as the season went on. I remember seeing Lloyd Cushenberry in the Spring Game, thinking, they better get another guy in there soon. The off season, they transformed him. The guy I saw against Miami was light years better. Then last year, he continued, so well, he’s the starting center for Denver. 
Damion Lewis is starting next to Pocic in Seattle.

Liam can make that jump into the NFL. 

12 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Liam looked better as the season went on. I remember seeing Lloyd Cushenberry in the Spring Game, thinking, they better get another guy in there soon. The off season, they transformed him. The guy I saw against Miami was light years better. Then last year, he continued, so well, he’s the starting center for Denver. 
Damion Lewis is starting next to Pocic in Seattle.

Liam can make that jump into the NFL. 

Cushenberry transformed his body over his last two years at LSU, by his Sr. year he looked much bigger.  My hope for Liam is that Moffitt helps him transform.  LSU would then benefit from his experience.  Here's hoping....

• Like 1

Sources: Racey McMath declares for 2021 NFL Draft

ByBILLY EMBODY 84 minutes ago 

LSU wide receiver Racey McMath has signed with an agent and declared for the 2021 NFL Draft, sources confirmed to Geaux247 on Tuesday. The Athletic's Brody Miller was first to report the news.

During LSU's run to a National Championship, the former Edna Karr star hauled in 17 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns. A special teams star, McMath finished with 33 receptions for 522 yards and four scores in 34 games, averaging 15.8 yards per catch. McMath was part of a talented group of wideouts that helped Joe Burrow to the Heisman Trophy and the No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Coming out of the New Orleans area, McMath inked with the Tigers over offers from Arizona, Kansas, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and others. According to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, McMath was the 90th best wideout in America and No. 22 overall prospect in the state of Louisiana.

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron said towards the end of the season that younger players are poised to take an even bigger role on the team moving forward. Many true freshmen saw the field in 2020, especially at receiver with opt outs, injuries and production levels, while McMath played in just six games as he tried to battle through injury.

"I really believe last year's recruiting class is phenomenal. A lot of guys are playing already," Orgeron said before the Ole Piss game. "The sophomores are doing a very good job. We never talked about the future and what we were going to do. We wanted to finish this year strong. But as you look at it, all those guys are coming back. Maybe we can recruit some guys with the extra year eligibility. For next year we should have a very strong team, a very strong nucleus along with this recruiting class we're going to have this year."

5 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

6’ 3” , 225 , 4.3 speed  

somebody taking a gamble on that  

I hope somebody does but he never made the leap everyone expected he would this year after showing flashes last year. Only averaged 32 yards / game before he got hurt.  Really 3 true freshman (Boutte, Moore and Gilbert) played better than he did.  Honestly, his best chance to get drafted  is as a special team's player. 

LSU FB Tory Carter announces 2021 plans

Andrew Olson | 43 minutes ago

After four years at LSU, Tory Carter is off to the NFL.

The senior fullback/tight end shared the news Wednesday night on Twitter. He posted a graphic with a note addressed to Tiger Nation.

EqhkdO3XAAAM5RY.jpg

The Georgia native joined LSU as part of the 2017 class. Over the last four seasons, he appeared in 42 games, including 7 this season. Carter recorded 16 catches in his LSU career for 157 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also contributed on special teams.

Traditionally, NFL decision announcements don’t come from seniors. They are happening this year, however, after the NCAA ruled that all players are allowed to return in 2021 with the same eligibility they had entering this fall.

• Like 1

Another one: Second LSU defender announces decision to return for 2021

Andrew Olson | 4 hours ago

LSU doesn’t have a defensive coordinator at the moment, but that isn’t stopping Tigers defenders from committing to return in 2021.

Following an announcement from Ali Gaye, fellow defensive lineman Neil Farrell shared that he is also returning for another season in Baton Rouge.

Farrell made his announcement via his Twitter account:

The Mobile, Alabama, native played in all 10 games this season. He recorded 25 total tackles, including 7, his season-high, in the finale against Ole Piss on Dec. 19.

With NCAA’s eligibility policy for the 2020 season, Farrell will again be considered a senior in 2021. He has not used his redshirt year in his college career.

LSU DE announces return for 2021 college football season

The LSU Tigers will have defensive end Neil Farrell Jr. back in action when they hit the turf this season.

The senior took to Twitter on Thursday night, announcing he would return for another year of eligibility.

Farrell, from Mobile, Alabama, appeared in all 10 games for the Tigers in 2020, starting six of those contests. Over a four-year career at LSU, Farrell has racked up 99 tackles (35 solo), 5.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and three passes defensed.

Like all other seniors, Farrell is eligible to return for an additional year because of an NCAA waiver that was granted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

• Like 1

I did talk with a friend that scouts college players, he thinks that McMath has a good shot in the middle rounds. We discussed the lack of this years film on a bunch of players. He also told me, they have canceled the East West Bowl game. 

The East–West Shrine Bowl is a postseason college football all-star game that has been played annually since 1925; through the January 2019 playing, it was known as the East–West Shrine Game. Wikipedia

Stadium: Tropicana Field

Operated: 1925–present

Next date: Canceled<—

5 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Doesn't Ed Ingram have a big decision to make?  Play or leave?  I know nothing about the guy, but my uninformed feeling is he would leave.  It would be good for the team if he returned.

Ingram, is the one that could leave. He has played the best, Sets up well, plays the position. Remember he came in as a True Freshman and started 12 games. 

• Like 1

Big one! 

LSU Guard Ed Ingram to Return for 2021 Season

Adding Ingram to 2021 roster a major addition to the roster
BY GLEN WEST , JAN 2, 2021

Nbvz5ulI-720.jpg

It was the decision that LSU coaches and fans alike were on pins and needles waiting for and on Saturday evening, the answer was extremely positive. Junior guard Ed Ingram announced on Twitter that he'd be returning for the 2021 season to anchor the left side of the offensive line.

The return of of Ingram is the most anticipated and perhaps most meaningful to this point. In addition to Ingram, LSU will see center Liam Shanahan, guard Chasen Hines, defensive lineman Neil Farrell and edge rusher Ali Gaye. 

As a potential mid to late round draft pick, there was plenty of uncertainty centered around his potential return to the program. For Ed Orgeron to get that anchor back to the unit is a tremendous addition and now this offseason will be about further building that chemistry. 

• Like 3

LSU Guard Ed Ingram to Return for 2021 Season

Adding Ingram to 2021 roster a major addition to the roster
GLEN WEST
2 HOURS AGO
  •  
  •  
  •  

It was the decision that LSU coaches and fans alike were on pins and needles waiting for and on Saturday evening, the answer was extremely positive. Junior guard Ed Ingram announced on Twitter that he'd be returning for the 2021 season to anchor the left side of the offensive line.

The return of of Ingram is the most anticipated and perhaps most meaningful to this point. In addition to Ingram, LSU will see center Liam Shanahan, guard Chasen Hines, defensive lineman Neil Farrell and edge rusher Ali Gaye. 

As a potential mid to late round draft pick, there was plenty of uncertainty centered around his potential return to the program. For Ed Orgeron to get that anchor back to the unit is a tremendous addition and now this offseason will be about further building that chemistry. 

0:37/1:21
logo.png

Remember two years ago in 2018, the offensive line was one of the bigger weaknesses on the program but an offseason of development and a truly special offensive season turned Lloyd Cushenberry, Damien Lewis and Saahdiq Charles into high draft picks. That's obviously the line of thinking here as Shanahan, Ingram and Hines will look to build a similar rapport after a year of inconsistency. 

It should be one of the more veteran units in the SEC next season with Dare Rosenthal also expected to return. Right tackle is still a bit up in the air as the offense will welcome Garrett Dellinger to the group to compete with Marcus Dumervil for snaps. 

0:23/2:09
logo.png

"I think you're gonna be surprised by the retention level that we have," Orgeron said after the Early Signing Period. "I've talked to a lot of guys, now a lot of things can happen, but right now a lot of them are leaning on coming back. I'm recruiting the heck out of the offensive line which would really help us."

• Like 1