Gameday Tigers

ESPN femaledog, Bill Connelly

LSUDad

LSU Football: ESPN hits Joe Burrow with the ultimate disrespect

http%3A%2F%2Fallfortennessee.com%2Ffiles%2F2013%2F09%2FZach-Ragan_avatar.JPGby Zach Ragan8h ago

Former LSU football quarterback Joe Burrow put together the greatest offensive season ever in 2019.

Burrow put up mind-blowing numbers against the best competition in college football.

When I think of the best college quarterback of the last 20 years, there’s no doubt that Burrow is at the top of my list.

I assume there are a lot of folks who share the same opinion as me about Burrow — it’s not exactly a hot take.

That’s why I was surprised to see ESPN hit Burrow this week with the ultimate disrespect.

Joe Burrow is the best college quarterback of the 2000s according to ESPN.

According to WKYC, ESPN’s Bill Connelly has former Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield ranked as the best college quarterback of the 2000s (He has Burrow ranked No. 5).

There’s a lot to unpack here.

Mayfield certainly had a great career at Oklahoma (and a good freshman season at Texas Tech), but he never even played for a national championship.

Burrow only has two seasons to really judge (he didn’t play much at Ohio State before transferring to LSU), but those two seasons are pretty incredible.

In 2018, Burrow won the starting job at LSU and helped the Tigers win 10 games (including five wins against ranked teams). Burrow’s numbers in 2018 weren’t eye-popping, but they were quite good for a first-time starter in the SEC. The former Buckeye quarterback tossed for 2,894 yards, 16 touchdowns, and only five interceptions in 13 games in 2018.

Good, not great.

2019, however, was unlike anything we’ve seen before. And unlike anything we’ll probably ever see again.

Burrow was almost perfect as a quarterback in 2019. He had a 76 percent completion percentage (higher by six percent than Mayfield’s career-high), passed for 5,671 yards (over 1,000 more yards than Mayfield’s career-high), 60 touchdowns (17 more than Mayfield’s career-high), and only six interceptions. Oh, and the Tigers won a national championship in dominating fashion.

And Burrow did all of this against SEC competition (you know where teams play defense, unlike the Big 12).

The only quarterback I can see having a legit claim to being above Burrow is maybe Cam Newton (he pretty much single handily won Auburn a national championship in 2010), but I’d still give Burrow the edge.

I’m amazed at the disrespect Burrow continues to receive from various national media talking heads. He’s a kid that does everything the right way, plays the game the right way, and is a great teammate/leader.

The Cincinnati Bengals are lucky to have him as the face of their franchise. The AFC North is going to be fun for the next several seasons, watching Burrow, Mayfield, and Lamar Jackson compete multiple times a year.

Crazy disrespect.

I think the only QB you could possibly put ahead of Burrow is Mahomes in the last several years. Even then, there is not enough data to make that assertion.

Wasn't Burrow was on pace to break rookie QB records before he was injured?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Crazy disrespect.

I think the only QB you could possibly put ahead of Burrow is Mahomes in the last several years. Even then, there is not enough data to make that assertion.

What he did in 2019, was something I’ve never seen before, an it’s not close.

The number of ranked teams, at times, they took the foot off the gas. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LSUDad said:

What he did in 2019, was something I’ve never seen before, an it’s not close.

The number of ranked teams, at times, they took the foot off the gas. 

I've seen stronger more physical QB's like Cam Newton or Michael Vick, I've seen stronger arms like Terry Bradshaw or Brett Favre, but mentally I think Burrow rates way up there with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.  I think Burrow runs better than Manning or Brady.  With the knee injury I think Burrow will be told not to run very much, although it had nothing to do with his injury as he was hit while standing in the pocket (bad mental image there).  Sometimes when you take away one capability, the person improves on the skills he can execute.  That will be interesting to watch.

The amazing thing about Brady is how ALL the players on the team LIKE and RESPECT the man.  Even Tampa players on the defense said after practice, Tom would come to them and say, "when I was in the pocket I saw you do this which gave me an advantage so in that situation why don't you try and do that instead".  They said they have never seen a QB to that, go try to help the defense after practice.  They said it showed he would do everything he possibly could to help the team win.  I always thought Brady's success was a lot due to Belichek and the team he provided around Brady, but with just one pandemic shortened season in Tampa, Brady earned such respect it is amazing.  It will be a LONG time before any QB wins seven SB rings again and that is why Brady is the GOAT.

It gives Burrow something to shoot for.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Herb said:

Crazy disrespect.

If we talking purely college, then Mahomes has no business in this conversation.

the ONLY two who might have a say so is a pair of guys that literally carried damn near their entire teams to titles.
i won't mention either by name.

but that's really the only knock on Burrow is how much talent he had around him.

• Like 2

LSU Football: Joe Burrow is keeping up with who criticizes him

http%3A%2F%2Fallfortennessee.com%2Ffiles%2F2013%2F09%2FZach-Ragan_avatar.JPGby Zach Ragan1 d ago

Former LSU football quarterback Joe Burrow, the No. 1 pick of the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2020 NFL Draft, is keeping up with who criticizes him this offseason.

Burrow, who is currently rehabbing a torn ACL in the hopes of being ready for week one of the 2021 NFL Season, recently “liked” an interesting Instagram post.

According to Bengals Wire, Burrow liked a post from Pro Football Focus that quoted San Francisco 49ers defensive back Richard Sherman as saying Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert was “by far” his favorite rookie quarterback in 2020.

Herbert won the offensive rookie of the year award (which we still think should’ve gone to former Tigers wide receiver Justin Jefferson, who had a tremendous season for the Minnesota Vikings), but only because Burrow was injured in week 10 and missed the final six games of the season.

Is Richard Sherman taking a shot at Joe Burrow?

I don’t necessarily think Sherman is taking a shot at Burrow with his comment — I think he just honestly likes Hebert better.

Now, typically I wouldn’t argue about football with a five-time Pro-Bowl defensive back.

But Sherman is wrong.

(It’s worth noting that Sherman didn’t play against either rookie quarterback this past season.)

Herbert is a great player. And based on what I saw in 2020, I think he’s going to have a terrific NFL career.

Burrow, however, is special. Really special.

Before his injury, Burrow was on pace to pass for 4,300 yards.

Herbert ended up passing for 4,336 yards, but he was also in a better situation than Burrow.

Burrow took over a 2-14 team with a below-average roster. Herbert took over a 5-11 team that went 12-4 in 2018.

There’s no doubt that Herbert had more talent around him last season. Burrow did less with more.

Moving forward, Burrow is the quarterback who has the talent to turn the Bengals from a pretender to a contender.

And he obviously has plenty of motivation. I don’t think Burrow really cares what Sherman says. I think he just likes having that little bit of extra motivation to help him through his rehab.

Whatever works, right?

• Like 1

Bengals QB Joe Burrow named PFF second best all-time draft prospect

The Bengals selected the second-best prospect of the Pro Football Focus era (since 2015) when they drafted quarterback Joe Burrow with the top pick of the 2020 NFL Draft. Former Clemson QB Trevor Lawrencewho is expected to be the top pick of the 2021 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars is ranked first.

Burrow and Lawrence ranked as part of “The PFF Era Draft Big Board: The top 50 NFL draft prospects since 2015.”  The rankings are the ultimate draft big board by the pre-eminent sports metric site. PFF is based locally in Cincinnati and NBC NFL analyst and former Bengal Cris Collinsworth is a majority owner.

PFF summarizes the 2019 season Burrow had leading LSU to the National Championship. Burrow arguably had the best season by a college football history. In a 15-0 season, Burrow completed 76.3 percent of his passes for 5,671 yards, averaged 10.8 yards per attempt with 60 touchdowns and six interceptions.

Burrow began his NFL career as one of the most anticipated entrants into the league in recent memory. Lawrence could be the most anticipated QB entering the NFL since Peyton Manning entered the NFL in 1998 or at least since Andrew Luck in 2012. Lawrence’s best seasons never approached Burrow’s 2019.

2. QB JOE BURROW, LSU
“No other college quarterback has dominated top competition the way Burrow did in 2019. He faced top defense after top defense and put them on the turf, with his lowest-graded game still coming in at an above-average 70.4.”

Burrow had the third-highest completion percentage in the history of college football in 2019. Mac Jones set the record with Alabama by completing 77.4 percent of his pass attempts in 2020. Burrow also had the third-most passing yards, set the record for TD passes and set the passing efficiency record since broken by Jones. 

Should Lawrence be drafted by Jacksonville as expected, he and Burrow will have a showdown for the second time in their football careers. LSU capped their National Championship in January 2020 with a 42-25 victory over Clemson and Lawrence in the Superdome in New Orleans in front of their home crowd.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...