Gameday Tigers

Title IX Independent Investigation

Fishhead

Verge suspended without pay for 30 days

Miriam Segar 21 days without pay

Seems light...I dunno

There was a young lady at the beginning that pulled no punches. Scathing. 

She said I hope I hurt some feelings

From the report:

"The errors made in athletics cases are the same mistakes seen in non-athletics cases."

Also said since Woodward took over, there's been "modest improvement" in the handling of these issues. 

23 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Thanks Fish and Nootch for this reporting.  It is not a good situation, but hopefully we will get better.

from an athletics standpoint, this is probably over now. 

this being a campus wide problem will more than likely keep the NCAA away from this one. 

but this is obviously a HUGE problem with the university as a whole. 

I got a link and downloaded the entire report.  It's like reading war and peace, 100 times in succession.  It's lllooonnnngggggggggggggggggggggg.  And dry.

Miles comes off looking horrible, from my skimming of the report.  For some reason, they report it started after THE GAME, the loss of the 2012 National Championship game.  Interestingly that is when the program started to slide.  I don't know what happened, maybe he blew a brain gasket.  It is also reported that he signed a new contract after that game, I think that is when Arky mentioned they might want to talk to Miles.

I read a little about Drake Davis, got tired of it after a bit.

36 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Miles comes off looking horrible, from my skimming of the report.  For some reason, they report it started after THE GAME, the loss of the 2012 National Championship game.  Interestingly that is when the program started to slide.  I don't know what happened, maybe he blew a brain gasket.

willing to bet $$$$$$ that it started before that.
1/9/12 pissed off enough people that it became "an issue" after that game.

36 minutes ago, houtiger said:

It is also reported that he signed a new contract after that game, I think that is when Arky mentioned they might want to talk to Miles.

it was actually after the end of the following regular season

Ross Dellinger bringing the heat:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/03/05/les-miles-lsu-allegations-kansas

The report paints an unsavory scene within the university itself, the athletic department and the football program as it pertains to the Title IX process. One sexual assault survivor described the protocols as designed to put survivors in a position to give up because they were worn down by its hurdles.

Comments from a U Kansas message board:

• Well, great. I don’t think anything comes of this in terms of actual consequences, but it’s one more PR black eye for a program running out of eyes.
  • KU isnt Baylor. The masses on campus arent going to be cool with a $4 million coach giving out hush money to cover up sexual harrassment to interns. It's 2021, coaches get fired for a lot less. Should he be? Not based on what we know. But sounds like the lawyers are digging and whatever else comes out likely wont be good. As is, there are enough sensitive folks on the hill to cause a headache
  • Like we need anymore obstacles to overcome. If we lose Miles all this momentum we have is gone and we could potentially be back to square one on the rebuild. This program is cursed.  (houtiger comment:  I was not aware they had any momentum going over there.)
  • Something that happened a decade ago will have no effect on his job status at KU. The team's performance next season will determine whether or not he is fired.

OK, so I wanted to know, what is this Title IX.  Is it a university thing, an NCAA thing, or a federal law thing (animal, vegetable, mineral problem LOL).

It's a federal law thing:

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), 20 U.S.C. §1681 et seq., is a Federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities.  All public and private elementary and secondary schools, school districts, colleges, and universities (hereinafter “schools”) receiving any Federal funds must comply with Title IX.  Under Title IX, discrimination on the basis of sex can include sexual harassment or sexual violence, such as rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, and sexual coercion.

25 minutes ago, houtiger said:
  •  
  • (houtiger comment:  I was not aware they had any momentum going over there.)

it’s Kansas  

having their last game of 2020 cancelled is considered positive momentum  

25 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Something that happened a decade ago will have no effect on his job status at KU. 

have you not been paying any attention to today’s culture?

his seat is likely SCORCHING right now. 

a decade ago ain’t near long enough. 
ESPECIALLY with this subject matter. 

20 minutes ago, houtiger said:

OK, so I wanted to know, what is this Title IX.  Is it a university thing, an NCAA thing, or a federal law thing (animal, vegetable, mineral problem LOL).

It's a federal law thing:

it’s one of the big ones. 

like that’s the one you can’t brush under and make go away once the sharks start circling. 

I was a huge (mo)Les(ter) Miles fan and all of this is the equivalent of having someone cold cock you in a bar with no warning. We all thought that he had represented the university well despite his quirky statements and was overall one of the most effective HCs in LSU football history.

LSU needs to tighten up their act as quickly as possible and become THE model for investigating sexual misconduct. One thought is to have all Title IX investigations conducted 100% outside of the university for the foreseeable future and show no mercy if allegations are even partially true.

Suck that it has come to this.

• Like 1

I think the 30 days for Verge and 21 for Segar is a slap on the wrist, but I wouldn't assume that's over.  Just because they suspended without pay for now doesn't mean they don't stand a chance of getting fired.  

As for Miles, I can almost guarantee he doesn't survive this.  He's toast.  

Other than the young lady that gave the scorched earth intro, nowhere did I see O mentioned.  In blasting the board, she mentioned that in the midst of all this, "you hired a coach with a history of domestic violence".  

Meanwhile, FKing is under scrutiny at Oregon State now due to this report.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

"you hired a coach with a history of domestic violence".  

I find that a bit unfair.  I don't think that one incident in a young person's life should preclude them from ever holding a responsible position, male or female.  Now, I might not hire O to be a marriage counselor, or I might if he showed particular insight into how one makes a mistake, steps to avoid a similar mistake, plus showed a twenty year clear record of no more occurrences.  We do not see any pattern of domestic violence, so I think it is ok to hire him as a football coach.

Ausberry and Segar need to be fired.  They failed in their job, failed the university, and brought great discredit to the institution.  They need to go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

I find that a bit unfair.  I don't think that one incident in a young person's life should preclude them from ever holding a responsible position, male or female.

Every situation is different  

With all of this going on behind the scenes, hiring someone with O’s past is just “one more example” type of thing  

3 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Other than the young lady that gave the scorched earth intro, nowhere did I see O mentioned.  In blasting the board, she mentioned that in the midst of all this, "you hired a coach with a history of domestic violence".  

only thing i saw was a line in passing quoting him about everyone’s girlfriend sleeps around. when discussing the Guice stuff.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

One thought is to have all Title IX investigations conducted 100% outside of the university for the foreseeable future and show no mercy if allegations are even partially true.

well, i think by law we have to have a Title IX department and that department has to be involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

only thing i saw was a line in passing quoting him about everyone’s girlfriend sleeps around. when discussing the Guice stuff.

Right but clearly there's stuff we didn't see in passing lol. 

See the Miles stuff for reference

Miles' retort.  

Peter Ginsberg, an attorney based in New York, issued a statement Saturday on Miles' behalf.

The events of the past twenty-four hours are deeply disturbing.
Eight years ago, LSU hired Taylor Porter, a preeminent law firm, to conduct an extensive and thorough investigation of allegations lodged at Les Miles.
Under the guidance of one of the nation’s leaders in the area of gender discrimination and harassment, Taylor Porter concluded that Coach Miles did not engage in any conduct that constituted sexual harassment and that there were no grounds to discipline Coach Miles. Now, eight years later, LSU, in the wake of enormous pressure from the NCAA for conduct that has nothing to do with Coach Miles, issued a report conducted by Husch Blackwell. The report revealed no new evidence.
Indeed, Husch Blackwell did not even bother to interview Coach Miles or many other key witnesses but, instead, second-guessed the Taylor Porter findings and conclusions without providing any basis for doing so. Bending to the winds of media blowback, Kansas has now decided to put Coach Miles on administrative leave.
Before the release of the reports this week, Kansas had been provided with significant information supporting Taylor Porter’s conclusions. KU also had performed thorough due diligence before hiring Coach Miles. Kansas’ decision to put Les Miles on administrative leave is both disturbing and unfair.
To fail to recognize that a person’s career should not be compromised by unsubstantiated allegations hardly is consistent with the example an institution of higher learning should champion.

https://www.katc.com/sports/les-miles-attorney-calls-university-of-kansas-actions-deeply-disturbing

• Like 2