Gameday Tigers

Finley Enters the Transfer Portal

Hatchertiger

LSU QB with starting experience entering NCAA transfer portal

SDS Staff | 1 MINUTE AGO

LSU’s quarterback battle appears to be down to two. TJ Finley is entering the transfer portal, he confirmed to Jacques Doucet of WAFB 9.

A former Ponchatoula standout, Finley signed in LSU’s 2020 recruiting class. As a true freshman, Finley started five games for the Tigers. He was 80-of-140 passing for 5 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.

Finley impressed in his debut against South Carolina, going 17-of-21 for 265 yards and 2 touchdowns, along with a rushing TD. He struggled mightily, however, against Texas A&M in his fourth game when he was 9-of-25 passing for 118 yards and 2 INTs. Finley’s final appearance was a 14-of-28 outing with a TD pass against Alabama.

Entering the transfer portal does not bind a player to leave the school but Finley appears to be set on continuing his college football career elsewhere.

“I plan on taking a few trips to other schools before deciding where I will be attending,” Finley told Doucet.

Finley appeared to be No. 3 in LSU’s quarterback battle with Myles Brennan, last year’s starter before a season-ending injury, and Max Johnson, who led the Tigers to wins over Florida and Ole Miss, ahead of Finley.

I hate to see players with talent transfer out, but it is going to happen.  If us fans suspected a QB would transfer, we suspected Finley would do it, so this comes as no surprise.  I said a couple of weeks ago after the spring game, on his best throw, Finley is the best of the four QB's, but his worst throw is a lot worse than anyone else.  It is that inconsistency that we can't live with.

We know both Brennan and Johnson can play and play well.  In an emergency we can call on Nussmeier, and he has mobility that Finley would never touch.

I think 3 is the correct number of QB's on the roster, spread over graduating class so everyone doesn't leave at the same time.  I think we are in the correct place.  Next year if Brennan leaves for the NFL and Howard comes in, we are still in a great place, 3 talented QB's on the roster, properly spaced.

Somehow we have gotten our QB recruiting shaped up, versus the miserable Les Miles era.  We had to change the offense to get great QB prospects to come here, and it is working.  Les Miles had to go, he would never have gotten us to this place.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, transfers are only going to become more frequent.

I like Finley but we have 3 other outstanding QBs on the team.  I wish him well and I hope the speculation on Brennan possibly transferring is nothing but advertisement fodder from the talking heads.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...