Gameday Tigers

LSU Vs UCLA, September 4th Prime Time!

LSUDad

3 point underdog according to this site:

Week 1: LSU (-3) at UCLA

The SEC will go on the road to take on the Pac-12 in this LSU-UCLA west coast matchup. That line may seem a little low, but it shouldn’t. LSU should bounce back from a rough 5-5 campaign last season, but things are trending in the right direction for Chip Kelly and company.

The Bruins’ offense is returning nine starters while the defense is returning 10. That experience should help them. Plus, they’ll have a tune up game against Hawaii on Aug. 28 before they welcome the Tigers to Pasadena.

UCLA has its quarterback situation figured out with Dorian Thompson-Robinson, while LSU doesn’t. That could also have an impact here.

https://www.outkick.com/some-of-fanduel-opening-betting-lines-for-college-football-might-seem-interesting/

I was in Dallas in 2011when we last faced a Chip Kelly coached team , I'm hoping for the same result.

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Week 1: LSU (-3) at UCLA

The way I read it, LSU is a 3 point favorite.  LSU minus 3 points is considered equal to UCLA, means LSU is a 3 point favorite.

I've never bet on any sports game (I always logon to Fidelity.com to do my gambling), but last time I tried to figure it out, that's what I came up with.

I wonder expect we will see fewer busted coverage in the secondary since their will not be a CB coach and a safety coach.  Ricks is not a freshman, and Stingley is quality when he is on, and that's a good start.  D-line has quality and depth.  LB will be a question mark.  We should be able to find a pair of safeties, the transfer of Major Burns to LSU gives us a guy with some SEC experience.

I don't know the UCLA players, but I'm going to guess based on our recruiting class finishes we have them out-talented.  LSU goes in with many question marks based on last year's play.  O-line needs improvement, RB needs improvement, we need improved QB play, and we have questions in the receiver corp (except Boutte, he's proven).

If those question marks turn out to be erased and the players and coaches turn out to deliver the improvement we hope they will, I think the potential is there for a much bigger win, maybe a margin like 21 points in our favor.  The odds makers may be looking in the rear view mirror, and not looking ahead.  Or, I could be looking through purple and gold glasses.  So many people have so much to prove that I have a positive feeling that most of them will deliver the improvement.  Nobody should have a swelled head on that team.  A couple of times I have heard O talk on the internet, I think he diagnosed some of the "lack of team" issues and he is working hard to fix it.  He indoctrinated the incoming coaches and they have put in place specific steps to stay on top of it.  It's unfortunate that O let it slip up on him without realizing it last year, but it sounds like he learns from his mistakes, pretty quickly.

I'm pretty excited about the season coming up, but I won't smell the football in the air until June 1.

Oh, this was an interesting article:

https://www.outkick.com/alabama-lsu-game-from-2019-included-absurd-amount-of-future-first-round-picks/

Edited by houtiger

53 minutes ago, houtiger said:

The way I read it, LSU is a 3 point favorite.  LSU minus 3 points is considered equal to UCLA, means LSU is a 3 point favorite.

Yes I meant UCLA was the underdog. That surprised me. They will already have a game under their belt and have good amount of experience returning. We have   2 new coordinators and some question marks. Having said that we are going to kick their @ss!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

College Football Opening Lines for Week 1

We're less that two months away from the official start to the 2021 college football season. How big of a favorite is reigning national champion Alabama against Miami?

CHRISTOPHER WALSH
JUL 1, 2021
  •  
  •  

As BamaCentral starts to turn its attention to the upcoming college football season with an early look at Alabama's first opponent, Miami, BetOnline has released the Week 1 opening lines. 

So by how many points are the Crimson Tide favored? 

Here's the full rundown, with more at www.BetOnline.ag 

Saturday, August 28

· UTEP (-10) at New Mexico State 

· UConn at Fresno State (-27) 

· Nebraska (-9) at Illinois 

· Hawai'i at UCLA (-10½) 

Thursday, September 2

· Temple at Rutgers (-11½) 

· Boise State at UCF (-3½) 

· South Florida at NC State (-16½) 

· East Carolina at Appalachian State (-13½) 

Note: The game is at a neutral site…Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte 

· Bowling Green at Tennessee (-27) 

· Ohio State (-14) at Minnesota 

Friday, September 3

· North Carolina (-6) at Virginia Tech 

· Duke (-7½) at Charlotte 

· Old Dominion at Wake Forest (-35) 

· Michigan State at Northwestern (-7) 

Saturday, September 4

· UL Monroe at Kentucky (-27½) 

· Western Michigan at Michigan (-14½) 

· Penn State at Wisconsin (-4) 

· Stanford at Kansas State (-2)

Note: The game is at a neutral site…AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX 

· Oklahoma (-21) at Tulane 

· Army at Georgia State (-4) 

· Rice at Arkansas (-23) 

· Fresno State at Oregon (-20½) 

· Alabama (-18) vs Miami

Note: The game is at a neutral site…Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA 

· Marshall (-3½) at Navy 

· Indiana at Iowa (-4½) 

· West Virginia (-4½) at Maryland 

· Miami (OH) at Cincinnati (-19) 

· Louisiana Tech at Mississippi State (-29) 

· Central Michigan at Missouri (-11) 

· UMass at Pittsburgh (-36) 

· Louisiana at Texas (-14½) 

· San José State at USC (-17) 

· Akron at Auburn (-34½) 

· Syracuse (pk) at Ohio (pk) 

· Oregon State at Purdue (-7½) 

· Texas Tech (-7) at Houston

Note: The game is at a neutral site…NRG Stadium, Houston, TX 

· Baylor (-10) at Texas State 

· Florida Atlantic at Florida (-24) 

· Georgia vs Clemson (-3½)

Note: The game is at a neutral site…Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC 

· UTSA at Illinois (-7) 

· Northern Illinois at Georgia Tech (-13½) 

· Kent State at Texas A&M (-29) 

· Southern Mississippi (pk) at South Alabama (pk) 

· LSU (-5) at UCLA 

· Nevada at California (-2) 

· BYU (-9½) vs Arizona

Note: The game is at a neutral site…Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, NV 

· New Mexico State at San Diego State (-28½) 

· Utah State at Washington State (-11½) 

Sunday, September 5

· Notre Dame (-9½) at Florida State 

Monday, September 6

· Louisville at Ole Miss (-7)

Note: The game is at a neutral site…Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA

10 hours ago, COTiger said:

Interesting lines.  Particularly Hawaii being a 10 1/2 point favorite over the Bruins.

It’s the other way around. 
Speaking of, a good friend of mine is on that staff. Sam Bennett, some might remember his Dad Phil coaching at LSU. Phil was the DC for a time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LSUDad said:

It’s the other way around. 
Speaking of, a good friend of mine is on that staff. Sam Bennett, some might remember his Dad Phil coaching at LSU. Phil was the DC for a time. 

Thanks.  I thought that was strange.  Guess it's time for the annual eye exam.  :lmao:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, dachsie said:

Oklahoma is playing AT Toolame?  And they want to join the SEC?

To be fair, we're playing McNeese, ULM, and Central Michigan.

Those programs might only be slightly qualitatively better than Tulane.

2 hours ago, Herb said:

To be fair, we're playing McNeese, ULM, and Central Michigan.

Those programs might only be slightly qualitatively better than Tulane.

Yes but LSU isn't going to travel to play them.   With the "new" conference probably going to see LSU play less of these games.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An LSU spokesman said the team has sold 12,000 tickets for the UCLA game on Sept. 4 at the Rose Bowl and the total number of LSU fans expected is around 20,000 per Los Angeles Times. 

The Bruins on the other hand seem to be working hard to generate a home crowd.

993738EE-819F-4239-9337-24475DD2BA11.jpeg.27555331e9e0f21056fcf889853fb787.jpeg

• Haha 1

LSU football relocates to Houston due to Hurricane Ida

By TigerBait Staff
August 28, 2021

The LSU football team is relocating to Houston, leaving tonight. They will remain there until they leave for Los Angeles on Thursday.

Monday's Ed Orgeron LSU football press conference has been canceled due to Hurricane Ida.  

LSU faces UCLA Saturday at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.  Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. CST and is televised on Fox.

The Tigers will conduct their daily practices at the Houston Texans football facility.  

I watched part of the UCLA - Hawaii game, I was not impressed with UCLA.  Hawaii is not a good team so it is hard to say very much.  Chip Kelly does not have a good record in three seasons at UCLA, 3-9, 4-8, 3-4.  In his defense, he took over a poor program.  Today they said when Kelly took over at UCLA, he only had 57 scholarship players.  He took 9 transfers since January and he now has 85 on scholarship.

I was not impressed with the Bruins QB.  His first two passes were off target.  They started a guy named Charbonnet at RB, he transferred from Michigan.  He looked good, but that Hawaii defense could not tackle.

I still like the good guys in this game, and if we find  a second and third receiver, the game may not be that close.