Gameday Tigers

LSU Vs UCLA, September 4th Prime Time!

LSUDad

24/7 guys talking the game! 

LSU -4 AT UCLA

10554616.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

Hummer: This line is already moving toward UCLA, which makes sense. LSU had to relocate to Houston this week, fleeing Hurricane Ida. The Bruins also looked dominant in Week 0 against Hawaii. But I’m a believer in the importance of the line of scrimmage, and I simply think LSU is better there on both sides of the ball. Another issue for UCLA? Dorian-Thompson Robinson is going to have a difficult time throwing against what is an immensely talented Tigers secondary. I expect LSU to make UCLA one-dimensional on the ground while scoring enough to cover. … LSU 34, UCLA 28.

Crawford: I expect this line to move to five points or so by kickoff. Last week's impressive win over Hawaii could be Fool's Gold for the Bruins, who were better at every position on the field and made quick work of the opposition. LSU is a different animal entirely and will be the most talented team Chip Kelly's squad matches up against this season. Robinson vs. Max Johnson at quarterback is one of the top matchups of the weekend. ... LSU 35, UCLA 27.

Everything UCLA QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson said about LSU

ByMATTHEW BRUNE 9 hours ago

Michael Thomas Placed on PUP List

gettyimages-1291138652.jpg

While the Tigers prepare in Houston before their game against UCLA, the Bruins believe they are ready to meet LSU in the Rose Bowl. 

Head coach Ed Orgeron talked about the relocation early Tuesday morning as his team continues to prepare for a talented UCLA squad, but was focused on the health and well being of the state of Louisiana and its residents.

"Let me say something, first of all, the administration was right, 110 percent behind us to give us the go ahead to come here," Orgeron said 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge. "We're staying at a great hotel in the Hyatt Regency, city of Houston. The Houston Texans were great. They gave us the stadium yesterday, they met us at the stadium, great hospitality.

"I'd like to say that all our thoughts and our prayers are with our great fans in the state of Louisiana,” Orgeron said. “We're hurting for them, but I promise you our guys are focused in, dialed in to play a great game for our fans.”

When looking forward to the game, Orgeron had plenty to say about that as well as UCLA comes off of a strong 44-10 win over Hawaii to start its season.

"We watched it live and I've got to say, Chip Kelly did a tremendous job with his team," he said. "They looked fantastic for an opening game. They played well in all three facets of the game. This is going to be a battle, but we knew that going in."

It’s shaping up to be a fascinating contest, but we want to look at how the Bruins are approaching this contest. Here’s everything UCLA quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson said in his Monday press conference.

ON GETTING FANS TO THE ROSE BOWL FOR GAME AGAINST LSU…

“It doesn't get any bigger than this. I hear they’re handing out free tickets, so free tickets to come watch the Bruins play is definitely a blessing so come take advantage of it.

On the LSU secondary and how they're approaching the challenge…

“They got a bunch of first-round guys. It’s going to probably be our toughest matchup of the season, so we have our work cut out for us, but I think we’ll be prepared and ready for them.”

ON DEREK STINGLEY…

10459112.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Gus Stark/Collegiate Images, Getty)

“He’s very physical. He’s a ball hawk. He has very good ball skills, can cover really well, and just knows how to play defensive back very well. Like I said, we have our work cut out for us with him and Ricks on the other side. It’s probably going to be the best secondary we play all year. If we stay with our assignments and execute on the ball I think we’ll be alright.”

WHAT HE LEARNED FROM THE FIRST GAME…

“Obviously our run game is great, I think everybody in the country knows that, it’s been great for years. Just keeping that rolling is [important] heading into this week and something we’ll definitely lean on again. Just getting on the same page as the receivers [is a focus]. A lot of our passing game is based on option routes, so that’s where you saw a little bit of inconsistency of us not being on the same page and the balls being behind them a little bit. Not knowing where guys are going to be at certain times. We’re cleaning that up in practice and we’ll continue for the rest of the week.”

ON PRACTICE AND GETTING TIMING DOWN WITH RECEIVERS….

“It was really good, coach has done a good job game planning and we’ve been throwing after practice too, so just doing anything possible to get on the same page and I’ll be with those guys later today watching film too.”

ON THE CONFIDENCE LEVEL OF THE TEAM…

“I can say we’re as confident as ever, but we obviously know the task at hand and the caliber of opponent Hawaii was compared to LSU, so we know we have our work cut out for us, but we’re taking it day by day. Our coaches aren’t going to let us slip or look ahead or worry about the past. We watched the Hawaii game, but we’re onto LSU and we are going to take it day by day now.”

ON HAVING THE RIGHT MINDSET GOING IN AS A TEAM…

“It all comes back on the leaders. We have a bunch of them on this team. A bunch of veteran guys, super seniors, current seniors, so it is just about keeping everyone’s head straight and leaning on each other every week. Not letting anyone look ahead or stay behind, so we’re going to keep everyone on track and the coaches will do their job too, so I’m not worried about that.”

DO YOU EXPECT LSU TO PUT MORE GUYS IN THE BOX TO STOP THE RUN?...

“They got new coordinators on both sides of the ball so just like Hawaii, so we don’t really know what to expect. We’re basing a lot off of last year’s film, but we’re always prepared for anything they throw at us. We’re going to execute on our side of the ball and do what we do.”

On having the week 0 game before LSU…

We’d definitely much rather have [our first game] then rather than now. We watched that game, moved past it, working hard to clean up our mistakes and getting ready for Saturday.”

ON WHAT KAZMEIR ALLEN AND KAM BROWN MEAN TO THE PASSING GAME…

"They’re just two more deep threats and we need those down field threats to really stretch the defense and keep them on their toes, so having two deep threats like that will definitely keep them on their toes this week.”

ON WHAT COLSON YANKOFF BRINGS AT WR...

"He's a man of all trades. We can put him anywhere and he knows the offense as well as anyone on the team. He's very athletic and can throw the ball as well too. Coach Kelly is going to whip up something for him and I can't wait to see it."

HOW HE HANDLES HIS MISTAKES AND MISCOMMUNIACTIONS...

4COMMENTS

“It’s a little bit of both [apologetic and encouraging], as well as getting into them a bit. Obviously I want them in the right spots and I have to put the ball in the right spots, so it’s a little bit of back and forth of saying sorry, correcting it and trying to get on the right page. It’s just a coaching thing and we’re getting through it.”

• Like 1

Why LSU's defensive line will bring new life to the defense in 2021

9.7.19 LSU v Texas

LSU junior defensive end Neil Farrell Jr. (92) lines up during the Tigers' 45-38 victory over Texas on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019, at Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium.

Alyssa Berry

Despite the immense disappointment that last season brought the LSU football program, one thing that remained is the talent on the defensive line.

The biggest focus for LSU football this offseason was fixing the defense. At all levels the defense was an utter disaster in 2020 despite there being plenty of talent in the defensive unit. One group where that talent was most evident was the defensive line.

Going all the way back to start of the 21stcentury, LSU has always been known for its hard-nosed style of play and talent in the trenches, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Players like Marcus Spears, Glen Dorsey, Sam Montgomery and Arden Key, just to name a few, have shaped LSU’s identity over the past 20 years of playing hard-nosed football. With the dominance on the defensive line having slightly declined over the past couple of years, this offseason and fall camp has given every indication that the Tigers will be back to having a dominant defensive front.

LSU returns all five starters from its defensive line in 2020, which creates one of the most experienced defensive lines in the SEC. Andre Anthony and Glen Logan return as leaders of the unit both entering their sixth year with the program and are expected to make the biggest impact. Neil Farrell Jr. is another veteran returning the defensive line for his fifth season and ended the 2020 season in great form, posting seven tackles and a sack in the final game of the year. Other talented returners include Ali Gaye and BJ Ojulari, who are arguably the two most talented linemen on the roster and have high expectations going into each of their second seasons with the program.

Head Coach Ed Orgeron considers the defensive line to be the deepest position on the roster and is not afraid to rotate within the group.

“On the defensive line we’re going to go ten deep,” Orgeron said when discussing remaining position battles.

This speaks volumes to just how deep this unit has become over the offseason. Having ten players who can all step in at any given time gives you two separate units that can be on the field allowing far more flexibility in the scheme and blitz packages.

Arguably the biggest change to this group during the offseason was the arrival of new defensive line coach Andre Carter. Carter comes to LSU after having spent the last two years as defensive line coach for the New York Jets. Carter also brings 13 years of NFL playing experience after having a successful career with five different teams. Carter’s success as a player makes him a respectable figure as a coach and his arrival has taken some of the pressure off Orgeron, who specializes in coaching the defensive line.

“I'll tell you what, Andre Carter is one great defensive line coach, I've turned over the defensive line to him,” Orgeron said. “I'm still looking at all the film with the defense, but I'm able to also be the head coach because of the coaching of Andre.”

Bringing in a coach like Carter will also help the Tigers on the recruiting trail when it comes to bringing in more talented linemen. LSU already brought in a very talented freshman class of defensive linemen and having a coach with the reputation of Carter will only benefit LSU on that front. Maason Smith and Savion Jones are the two most talked about of LSU’s freshmen linemen with Smith signing as a five-star recruit as the No. 1 overall player in Louisiana. Both Jones and Smith are expected to make an immediate impact and will only add more strength in depth for the Tigers up front.

After a season of massive disappointment on the defensive side of the ball, Tiger fans can expect some the old dominance to back on the defensive front in 2021. A deep defensive line unit along with plenty of experience is a recipe for success at that position and will be one of LSU most talented position groups this upcoming season.

12 hours ago, Herb said:

I'm not a betting man, but somehow I think we'll cover the spread by a multiplier.

I agree Herb.  It's just the feeling in my gut, but I look at our recruiting classes the last 3 years, the guys playing, and I think we should win big.  I am not at all concerned about our skill players, particularly on offense.  The biggest unknown to me is the o-line, which did not play well last year.  If they step up and grow into a cohesive unit, I think we'll roll.  The d-line, with all that depth, we HAVE to be able to find 6 guys that can play well, hopefully 8, maybe 10.  We have to have the best pair of starting cornerbacks in the nation.

• Like 2

Last year UCLA finished 3-4, the three  teams they beat California, Zona and Zona St. had a combined record of 3-10, those teams finished 1-3, 2-2 and 0-5. 

Against Hawaii, UCLA’s QB looked bad, missing wide open receivers, I think he was 0-6 to start the game. A few of the completions were behind the receivers. If he continues this, the back up QB Ethan Garbers will get in early, Garbers was 2-2, for 18 yards. They stuck with the run, seeing the DL of Hawaii was being moved around. UCLA returned all OL from last year.

The RB Charbonnet, a Michigan transfer, he was second in rushing yards at Mich last year. Against Hawaii, he rushed 6 times for 106 yards and 3TD’s, almost 18 yds/carry. Hawaii had a bunch of missed tackles, out of position, at times having a WR running free. The UCLA TE is a big kid that is very talented, he only had one reception for 15 yards, but he could hurt us. 

The other side of the ball, at times, the DB’s were having problems guarding the WR’s of Hawaii. They run more of a 3-3-5, sending a LB, when down and distance is in their favor. Hawaii missed picking up the oncoming LB at times. The OL has to play better for the Tigers, QB protection is a must.

Most everyone is ready to go, health wise, I had wished I could have got into a practice or two, but never did get to BTR, with time to attend. 

And yes, what I’m being told, the offense will have some of the 2019 flair, moving folks around, getting them in space, getting the ball in the playmakers hands quickly. 

Chip Kelly needs to win this one, but so does O. Kelly only lost 7 players off last years team, signed 17, but took in a few transfers. This is his 4th year, they want to see progress. I like the matchup of our DL and DB’s, I want to see who starts a LB, we will see a bunch of rotation on the DL, we will play a number of players, UCLA had 20 players on defense record stats last weekend. 

Every game UCLA lost last year, they were winnable. The losses were by 6pts. 3, 5 and 1 point. 

Travels to the West Coast, Hurricane cleanup, going to Houston on a 10 bus ride, and a few other things, does this play into the game? Young kids adapt. Coaching staff has them together, looks like better leadership within the team. The 5-5 from last year, they want to forget it, a nice win Saturday, that’s a start. GEAUX TIGERS.  🐅 

• Like 1

An so it starts. Just got a call, a friend heading to the Jackson, Ms airport, a connecting flight in Dallas, then landing in LAX. May send a few photos to me, I’ll try to post a few. They have a number of folks in their group, a few parties lined up. I’m guessing around 15,000 Tiger fans, could get more. I remember in 2009, we seem to have a great turnout. I made that trip to Seattle. Chartered a bus, filled it up with Tiger Fans, parked it close to the stadium, tailgated. Spent a week there, a seaplane into Victoria. The Tiger fans did take over the town. Talking with the locals, the ND fans had traveled the season before. They rather the Tiger fans, they said, we ate more, drank more and tipped better than any fan base. 
My bus, picture taken from the Stadium. I kind of told a little fib when security stopped my bus. We were suppose to park with the other busses, on a back lot. I told the security guy,” We are from Louisiana, Mark Emmert the University President, said I could park my bus right near the stadium!” He moved a few cones, opened a slot near the walkway, allowing my bus a place to party. Once we loaded up after the game, he blocked traffic, allowed up to used another exit, making a easy return back to the hotel. 

A picture taken from the stadium, my bus. 

D258A70E-163E-4D8B-8DB4-30368B3CB61D.jpeg.f180e4d460fa2eb4306c1266301cbedb.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm hoping the travelling Tiger Fans take advantage of power, gas, and life in general being available in LA for the game and that they "pause" their recovery efforts in the hopes that when they get back they will likely have many services restored or things will be more readily available.

God Bless LSU fans in their times of need!

• Like 1