Gameday Tigers

DB Quinton Cage, Transferring To LSU.

LSUDad

Nicholls State standout defensive back Quinton Cage transferring to LSU after solid spring

What are LSU’s top five position battles in spring camp? OK, yeah, quarterback, again, but then how about the other four? _lowres
Here is the LSU football helmet, with the old tiger head logo, the Tigers had been wearing for decades.

May 21, 2021 - 8:15 pm

Former Archbishop Rummel and Nicholls State defensive back Quinton "Pig" Cage announced Friday he will be transferring to LSU for the 2021 season.

Cage, a 5-foot-11, 200-pounder, made the announcement via Twitter just two days after being named to the HERO Sports Freshman All-America team.

Cage told The Advocate on Friday night that he will enroll in school and join Ed Orgeron's program as a preferred walk-on after a solid first season with the Colonels.

Cage accumulated 30 tackles, including 11 for a loss, in seven games during Nicholls' 2021 spring season after the 2020 fall schedule was canceled by COVID.

He also recorded 2½ sacks for the season and had four tackles for a loss in his collegiate debut against Lincoln College on Feb. 19.

Cage also had an interception and a forced fumble and he broke up a team-high three passes.

“I love what LSU is offering and what they’re giving me,” Cage said of having the chance to compete for a position. “I’m not scared of competition whatsoever. Some people shy away from competition. That’s not me.”

He noted he passed up offers from unspecified FBS schools to take the preferred walk-on role from LSU.

Cage said playing a season in the spring worked in his favor because it gave him more time to learn Nicholls' defense.

He said he was working "behind a safety" on the Colonels' depth chart in fall practice sessions, but coaches started moving him around — which helped him learn four positions in the secondary.

"Come spring, I was the guy and it gave me a spark," Cage said.

In addition to being a Freshman All-America, he was chosen as one of 16 finalists for the Jerry Rice Award that goes to the nation's top freshman in the FCS ranks.

Before signing with Nicholls State, Cage was a Class 5A All-State first-team pick for Rummel in 2019 and was a two-time New Orleans Advocate All-Metro selection.

A three-star Class of 2020 prospect, according to the 247Sports composite listing, he had 124 total tackles, 19 tackles for loss, six sacks and four forced fumbles in 2019 as Rummel went 13-0 and won the state Division I title.

• Like 1

As I understand it, as far as scholarships, we are done because the 2021 class is full.  It was full before this kid transferred in, that is why he is a preferred walkon.  No scholarship, he has the opportunity to earn one.  By the way, when does our voluntary limit of 81 total scholly's hit, I would think we are under that now.  That schollly reduction was due to the OLL player payment investigation, IIRC.