Gameday Tigers

Bo Jackson

houtiger

Bo was hands down the best two-sport athlete i ever saw.
Deion is not even in the same book, let alone the same sentence as Bo.

Jackson was a legitimate threat to make Baseball Hall of Fame.
Deion never even joked about possibly being Hall worthy.

Through first full seasons of Baseball (pre-hip injury years)

Bo's Averages:
.252 / .309 / .487  ...  27 dingers ... 76 RBI ... 20 stolen bases

Ken Griffey Jr (same stretch of career):
.301 / .366 / .494 ... 22 tanks ... 85 RBI ... 15 stolen bases

other than Batting average, he's right there with a guy widely considered to be in the absolute top handful of players ever.
not just Hall of Fame guy. Like upper echelon private VIP room of Hall of Fame guy.

Bo was right there with them.

Now, Bo probably would not have gotten enough games/touches to get into football hall of fame, but his per game or per touch averages still puts him on that level with guys that are in.

Bo through his only 4 NFL seasons:
5.4 yards per carry ; 73.2 yards per game (splitting time with a Hall of Fame in same backfield) 

Tony Dorsett same stretch of career:
4.5 yards per carry ; 78.4 yards per game (as the workhorse back)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My best friend, who I grew up playing baseball with all the way through college, moved to Kansas City for his post-grad dental degree.  Whenever I went to visit him in KC it would always be when the Royals had a homestand.  We would swing by Authur Bryant's BBQ as soon as they opened, load up on Q and beer, and then travel to tailgate outside Royals/Arrowhead Stadium (they share the same parking lot).   After some bodacious fuel, we would enter the stadium in time for Batting Practice, just to watch Bo unleash hell on the BP pitcher.

I remember one season when KC opened with a 4 game homestand against Detroit, ... when Allen Trammel was playing third for them.  As Bo was loosening up on-deck, he noticed my AU cap as we were seated nearby and he came over to chat. Once he came closer, he recognized me (missus Caddy tutored Bo at AU) and we had a nice chat.  At one point, Trammel was nearby and Bo called him over to tell him a story about me that was hilariously funny, but altogether unflattering in my college days, one that I certainly won't repeat here.  Bo has always been a great dude, and loves to talk hunting and fishing, a real down-to-earth guy. 

Anyway, he got on a roll in BP that day, hitting 8 straight out of the park, 4 of them landing in the straightaway centerfield grass , right over the 410' sign.  Those hits had a unique sound to them that no other hitter could produce ..... it was incredibly impressive to watch, and a vivd memory that I will carry until the day the Lord takes me. 

• Like 2