Gameday Tigers

Malzahn on the hot seat

houtiger

I can understand why.

Then they mention this on an Auburn Forum: "You know, for example, "you don't win 6 games in a particular season and your 7-year/$49M contract is null and void."

Somebody should shoot those AD's for extending contracts so long.  How many more years do we have to pay Les for JA's screw up.  That "auto renewal for 1 year" every time he won 8 games was stupid.  Let the contract come in to two years, then talk about a 2 year extension.  Never go beyond 4 years, except for a Saban.

The A&M deal will be interesting, 10 years at 7.5 mil a year.  It could work out well, or really bad.  Jimbo has Aggies looking good so far, vastly improved.  But, looking at Fla. State, the program was going down.  Jimbo went through his divorce back then, it probably had something to do with the fall off at Fla. St.  He seems to be doing better at A&M.

I looked up Miles termination, $9 million paid over 6 years, starting in 2016 and ending in 2022.  That's 1.5 million a year, a bit over $100K per month.  No wonder Les is always smiling!  Les is 64, he's not getting another gig, so this is a pretty nice way to ride off into the sunset.  But I thought 9 million was bad.  

Aubies would owe Malzahn about $42 mil if they fire him this year.

$9 mil actually ain’t bad if you look around the rest of the country. 

its the price of doing business these days. 

O’s buyout is $8.5 mil if he’s fired before Jan 1 .  And that’s with him having next to zero leverage in the negotiations.

there’s more than 20 current head coaches with buyouts north of $14mil this year.

and with the amount of TV money pouring in, those numbers will only go up. 

I'm not saying Gus isn't on the hot seat but I was listening to sports program on the radio and it wouldn't make any sense for Auburn to fire him this year or next unless the wheels come off.  No idea if that is an accurate reflection of his contract but the guys discussing it sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

tenor.gif?itemid=12302949

Archived