Gameday Tigers

New Schools Wanting To Join The SEC!

LSUDad

Report: Texas, Oklahoma Look to Leave Big 12, Join SEC

BY MICHAEL SHAPIRO , UPDATED: JUL 21, 2021 | ORIGINAL: JUL 21, 2021

texas-oklahoma-sec.jpg

Ricardo B. Brazziell/American-Statesman via Imagn Content Services, LLC

Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to the SEC regarding a potential conference move, according to the Houston Chronicle's Brent Zwerneman.

The addition of the Big 12 powers would give the SEC 16 schools, creating the nation's first "super-conference," per Zwerneman. Texas and Oklahoma's induction into the SEC will be dependent on a "majority vote," per the Austin American-Statesman's Kirk Bohls.

Wednesday's report doesn't mark the first potential rumblings of an exodus from the Big 12. Texas and Oklahoma both nearly left the conference after the 2010 season, but the pair of programs stayed put as Missouri and Texas A&M left for the SEC. Texas A&M president Ross Bjork said Wednesday he hopes the Aggies remain "the only SEC team from the state of Texas," per Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey declined to comment on Wednesday's report. Neither Texas nor Oklahoma officials commented on the matter.

The Big 12's current TV contract with ESPN and FOX expires in 2025. Texas's television station, the Longhorn Network, has a contract that runs with ESPN through 2031. 

Texas legislators introduce bills to require approval for Longhorns to move conferences

Keith Farner | 13 hours ago

The potential move of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC has caused some lawmakers in Texas to file legislation to block such a move.

On Friday, more than 30 Texas lawmakers, some of who represent areas with Big XII schools, filed a bill to require legislative approval of conference realignment, CBS Austin reported. The bill is spearheaded by Rep. Dustin Burrows of Lubbock.

There’s another bill filed by Sen. Brian Birdwell and other legislators who graduated from any number of schools, or represent areas besides the University of Texas, throughout the state.

In a Facebook post about SB 76, Birdwell wrote in part, “Such a move would negatively impact other Big 12 schools in our state like Baylor, TCU, and Texas Tech. These schools and their surrounding communities heavily depend on the financial income that BIG 12 football provides. Without a significant player like Texas, along with the possible departure of OU, the Big 12 becomes a less favorable conference, effectively losing a substantial amount of viewership and attendance.”

Pardon me, but what the hell does conference alignment have to do with any legal matter the TX state legislature may have an interest in????

That's one dumb sounding piece of legislation, probably won't pass, and would probably be knocked down in a court challenge anyhow.

• Like 1

I wonder if TX or Okla. ever make it to the CFP again?  I think if they win the big 12, they had a better shot.  I don't see them waltzing in and winning the SEC soon.  Play an SEC schedule, they may easily have 2 or 3 losses per year.  Did they think this through?  Or do they just care about money and want in on the SEC gravy train, even if they rarely play for championships?  Of course it makes it harder for everyone in the SEC to win a championship, with more teams, and two more tough teams.

Below is a proposal for alignment by Sports Illustrated:

Its structure would include four "pods" with the following four teams making up one of these pods:

LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas

The proposed theory is that each team would play the other three in their own pod every year and two games against each of the other pods that would switch off year to year. It would make for a total of nine conference games and with some conferences exploring the idea of expanding the schedule to nine or 10 conference games each year, it would make sense. 

Of course another option for football would be to just tack on Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC West and slide two teams over to the SEC East. Again, these are just theorized ideas and nothing will come close to being concrete until a million other steps are passed first. 

With the Big 12 TV contracts for both schools not set to expire until 2025, there's time to figure all of this out. 

• Like 1

It just got harder to win the SEC.  Add two teams, both "hard outs".  Unless the end game is to create one giant super conference and say the hell with the NCAA, I'm not getting this.  Unless the SEC gets 2 teams in the playoff every year, TX and OK may be out of it, until they can beat Bama sometimes.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:13 AM, houtiger said:

Pardon me, but what the hell does conference alignment have to do with any legal matter the TX state legislature may have an interest in????

That's one dumb sounding piece of legislation, probably won't pass, and would probably be knocked down in a court challenge anyhow.

i’m not a lawyer, but i’m guessing it’s because UT is a state school and this decision has an effect on other State funded school as well. 

• 2 weeks later...