Gameday Tigers

The LSU Quarterback Situation

houtiger

Myles Brennan or Max Johnson?  Jake Peetz and O have a dilemma.  To return to the 2019 offense, you need the QB running threat.  Johnson gives you that, Brennan not so much, although he did take off a few times early in 2020, got injured on one of those runs IIRC.  I think Brennan has a better arm, better passer.  Johnson clearly is the better runner.  Brennan is a fifth year senior, its his last year.  If O named Johnson the starter, and Brennan wants a pro career, Brennan will transfer for an opportunity to play, I think that's a given.  He has to play his senior year, somewhere.  I don't think O can let that happen.  If Brennan left and Johnson got injured, he would be down to a true freshman again, and that would put us in jeopardy of losing 2 more games this year.  I think Brennan will be the starter.  Then comes a different decision, how much do you play Max Johnson?  I hope they give Johnson at least a quarter per game.  The real question will come, what do you have to do to beat Auburn, bama, aTm, Florida.  It would depend on what Johnson has done with his quarters of play.  Of course, maybe Brennan just wins the job and plays all year.

Whachathink?

I need much more to go on other than what I saw last season. Honestly have no idea how it will turn out. Certainly a situation that O has to manage delicately as if could even effect future recruiting of QBs.  Even if he knows now who will be the starter smart not to let UCLA know.

• Like 1

From last week of July:

SEC Network analyst Cole Cubelic revealed his top five quarterbacks last week and pegged Georiga's JT Daniels at No. 1 on the list.

His Top 5 is:

1. JT Daniels - Georgia
2. Matt Corral - Ole Miss
3. Max Johnson - LSU
4. Emory Jones - Florida
5. Bryce Young - Alabama

7 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Well the QB "situation" now is that we only have available 2 scholarship QBs and one of them is a true freshman.  

We went a year with Burrow and Brennan as the only scholarship QBs.  We'll be fine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Well the QB "situation" now is that we only have available 2 scholarship QBs and one of them is a true freshman.  

And the other one is a sophomore with 2 starts under his belt.  This is a much better team with Brennan and Johnson.  If we had an opportunity to challenge for the SEC west, that ship may have sailed.  If Johnson is a dandy and stays healthy, we may be ok, its still possible, but our odds have gone down.  My 10-2 prediction is not that high, I'd notch us down to 9-3.

22 hours ago, houtiger said:

And the other one is a sophomore with 2 starts under his belt.  This is a much better team with Brennan and Johnson.  If we had an opportunity to challenge for the SEC west, that ship may have sailed.  If Johnson is a dandy and stays healthy, we may be ok, its still possible, but our odds have gone down.  My 10-2 prediction is not that high, I'd notch us down to 9-3.

Our DL and secondary (corners) will be the reason we're successful this season. It was never going to be about Myles or Max. 

Myles has Marshall and Gilbert.  Max will have the same crew he had to end the season plus some unknown frosh. 

DL, that's where the fun of this season will occur. And that will lead to opportunities for 1 and 7 on the D.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Our DL and secondary (corners) will be the reason we're successful this season. It was never going to be about Myles or Max. 

Myles has Marshall and Gilbert.  Max will have the same crew he had to end the season plus some unknown frosh. 

DL, that's where the fun of this season will occur. And that will lead to opportunities for 1 and 7 on the D.

This is off the QB thing, but I heard O say we will play more zone coverage this year, it is easier for the whole secondary to learn and play that defense.

I think 1 and 7 are the two best man-coverage corners in college ball this year.

So, with this talent, why go away from man coverage.  We'll still do some man, but more zone.

I'll make a guess.  Daronte Jones.  He has NFL experience coaching the secondary.  I think even though his corners may make some incredible plays in man coverage, they may also give up some big plays.  I think the NFL influence says "let's play good percentage ball, and not give up the big play".

Any thoughts on that?

25 minutes ago, houtiger said:

This is off the QB thing, but I heard O say we will play more zone coverage this year, it is easier for the whole secondary to learn and play that defense.

I think 1 and 7 are the two best man-coverage corners in college ball this year.

So, with this talent, why go away from man coverage.  We'll still do some man, but more zone.

I'll make a guess.  Daronte Jones.  He has NFL experience coaching the secondary.  I think even though his corners may make some incredible plays in man coverage, they may also give up some big plays.  I think the NFL influence says "let's play good percentage ball, and not give up the big play".

Any thoughts on that?

Agree. 

I think 1 leads the country in interceptions this season too. 

Don't tell Nootch I said that

Before Brennan went down, I had LSU picked 10-2, there are so many unknowns this year with the new coaching staff, holes to fill at LB and safety.  We need improvement at WR except Boutte who is proven, and we need better production from the RB.  The o-line needs lots of improvement, the center and right guard need to figure out how to not let DT's run in on the QB without being touched.

With a lot of questions out there, to assume the worst is not right.  I hope MOST of the questions get good answers, from the new coaches in many cases.

I would feel much more comfortable going in with Brennan at QB and Johnson as his backup.  But that is not what we are going to have, at least for a while.

If Johnson plays like a soph with 2 starts under his belt, I could see this team go 9-3.

On the other hand, if Johnson gets sharpened by getting all the first team snaps, and his two games last year, and he turns out to be a smart dandy of a QB and plays better than most soph's do, we could be back in the 10-2 picture, or even 11-1.

A lot always depends on the QB play, what can he do.  I hope Johnson turns out to be a smart dandy of a QB.  He played very well for a true frosh last year, but he needs to get better if we are going to win the west.

Whachathink?