Gameday Tigers

Brennan Left Arm Injury Will Have Surgery

Hatchertiger

Myles Brennan Suffers Left Arm Injury

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29t
fanatics-sideline-gear

BATON ROUGE – LSU quarterback Myles Brennan suffered a left arm injury that will require surgery, head coach Ed Orgeron announced on Monday.

“Myles Brennan suffered a severe injury that will require surgery,” Orgeron said. “His timeline is yet to be determined. Myles has done everything we have asked of him this summer and was in the fight to be the starting quarterback at LSU.”

Brennan, a senior from Long Beach, Mississippi, started LSU’s first three games last year, passing for 1,112 yards and 11 touchdowns before an injury against Missouri sidelined him for the remainder of the season.

Because of Covid, Brennan has 2 seasons of eligibility remaining and a medical redshirt also could now come into play.

Dude is a gamer...had 1200+ yds passing in 3 games last year before he was injured.

He is also draft eligible and I wish for his sake he had a longer game film tape. He might turn out to be a 'Tom Brady' type of bargain for some team.

2 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

I think he will decide after this season what to do. If Max tears it up he may transfer and hopefully start and play a full season for another team.  

Yes, next year we'll have Johnson as Jr. with a full year of experience under his belt, with Nussmeier behind him and hopefully Garrett has gotten playing time this year in case he has to step in.  Then we'll have Walker Howard as a true frosh, the kind of QB room we have wanted for a long time.  Brennan will have to do what he thinks will get him to the pros, and that is playing the following year, somewhere.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

For some reason we're not talking anymore. 

He's trying to figure out a detour for I-70.

Hopefully, he doesn't pull off the road and pull all of thr trout out of a stream with a seine net next to some yuppie fly fishermen.

• Haha 1

LSU QB Myles Brennan shares update after arm surgery

ByBILLY EMBODY Aug 3, 4:02 PM

Ed Orgeron Names Max Johnson LSU Starting QB

max-johnson.jpg

LSU quarterback Myles Brennan underwent successful surgery on his injured left arm, he said in a tweet on Tuesday. 

"Surgery went really well," Brennan tweeted a day after it was announced he'd injured the arm. "Thank y’all for all the prayers. Gods got me."

The redshirt junior was competing for the starting quarterback job with sophomore Max Johnson, but now it'll be Johnson who starts the 2021 season for the Tigers with Brennan's injury. LSU opens its season on Sept. 4 at UCLA.

"Very unfortunate. You know Myles was competing, was fighting to be the starting quarterback at LSU, fought Max, had a great spring, had a great summer. Unfortunate accident," Orgeron said Tuesday morning on 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge. "He's getting operated this morning. Our prayers are with Myles and his family. His dad, his mom took it hard, I'm sure Myles took it hard. I didn't get to talk to him yet, I called him yesterday, but I'm sure he's very upset, but we're going to follow him all the way through this.

"The first thing that Myles' family, such a competitor, first thing they wanted to know is eligibility left, what is the timeline for him to come back, when can he compete to come back and finish his career at LSU? You got to appreciate that."

TJ Finley transferred to Auburn this offseason, meaning LSU is left with 2021 signee and former four-star recruit Garrett Nussmeier as the lone other healthy scholarship quarterback on the roster.

"Next man up, this is a great talk to the team. You never know when your time's going to come," Orgeron said on Off The Bench Tuesday morning. "I told the team in the spring we're going to need everybody and stuff happens during the season. Here's something that happened right before we start, it's very unfortunate, but hey, we've got to move on, move forward.

"Garrett's going to step up and look, he's a coach's son. He's a great young man, he's going to step up, he's going to be ready."

In 2020, Brennan suffered a season-ending injury, but was one of the SEC's top passers when he suffered it on the road at Missouri. The Long Beach, Miss. native passed for 1,112 yards, 11 touchdowns and three interceptions while completing 79-of-131 passes in his first year as the starter.

Johnson's freshman debut in 2020 helped the Tigers prevent the first losing season for the program since 1999. Sitting at 3-5 on the year with two games remaining, Orgeron turned to Johnson as the team's starter. Myles Brennan had started the first three games before his injury, then Finley stepped in to go 2-3 over his five starts.

Johnson's first start came in The Swamp against a Top 10 Florida team that had eyes on the College Football Playoffs, but those hopes were dashed when Johnson passed for 239 yards and three touchdowns while also turning in 50-plus yards on the ground with no turnovers in the win. One week later, Johnson scored five total touchdowns in a shootout against Ole Miss, which put LSU at 5-5 on the season.

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

So Brennan could be back during the meat of our schedule?

Most of what I hear now is 8 - 10 weeks recovery.  The good news is that it was his left arm, not his throwing arm.  So he misses fall camp, that's 4 weeks.  Then regular season, he misses 4 - 6 weeks.  I checked and our bye week is after week 8, after Ole Miss and before Bama.  So there is no help for Brennan, maybe he could have healed for a week without missing a game, but no such luck.  He could be ready to come back between the Auburn and Fla. games.

However, when he returns, if Johnson is doing well, I think Brennan backs him up, maybe plays a little if we have a big lead.

Edited by houtiger

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...