Gameday Tigers

2021 Fall Football Camp

houtiger

Received an email from LSU yesterday essentially saying that they are planning to have full game day and games without restrictions.  I want to believe that but in the back of my mind I'm worried it ultimately will not happen given what is being reported in the media.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Yesterday I got a text from a friend, who had been to practice. The name Dellinger did come up on the OL, along with Wire and Bradford. He said even with the loss of Rosenthal, they have built depth. 

He went over a few position, WR, behind Boutte, this position also is loaded with depth, talent and speed. 

The DL is loaded, they are using a ton of players throughout the front 4. They have a good mixture with the LB’ers. Remember, the leading tackler from last year Damone Clark returns. He and JaCoby Stevens led the team with tackles. 

What we have at DB, I don’t know of another team that anything close to our CB tandem. Sting and Ricks make things way too easy. The UGA transfer Burns, has turned a few heads. Running a 4-2-5, you better have a bunch of DB’s, and we have them. 

• Like 2

LSU's Jay Ward Adjusting to Permanent Move to Safety

Safety position turning into one of the deeper groups on defense because of new additions

GLEN WEST

After the 2020 season concluded, one by one LSU learned what the depth would like at various positions. Receiver, offensive line and defensive line were the deepest groups on the roster. But positions like linebacker and most notably safety were extremely thin for the purple and gold. 

So when LSU hired defensive coordinator Daronte Jones, who has a background in the secondary, the goal was to try and shore up the back half of the defense as quickly as possible. During the spring, the coaching staff had an idea to move Jay Ward back to safety and the decision has really paid off. 

In the span of a few months, Ward, who had never played safety before making the switch in the spring, has brought some stability to the position in the offseason. The techniques of playing safety are much different than that of a cornerback, who is usually right up close with the opposing receiver. Safeties are the last line of defense and need to be comfortable playing zone and need to be quick in order to cover as much of the field as possible. 

Ward said he's been picking up the little nuances of the position quickly and now feels at home at safety after spending his first couple of years as a rotation cornerback. 

"I like playing safety because I get to go down hill more, I get to blitz, come off the edge and just being on the field more than last year," Ward said. 

Right now it's looking like Ward and transfer Major Burns, as well as veteran Todd Harris figure to be a part of the rotation in some capacity. Freshman Sage Ryan will also see a significant role as he's been splitting his time with the nickel cornerbacks as well as the safeties early in this fall.

Of course one of the biggest issues with the defense last season was the lack of communication in the secondary, which is a big reason why Jones was brought in. 

"We must always talk and now that in the offseason we've started to bond more, we're talking more, we're calling out formations and trying to improve on that communication," Ward said. "Major and Sage have both brought depth to this group and are playing tremendous right now. 

The outlook at safety is much brighter than just a few months ago as Jones will now have options and can be more versatile with his rotations moving forward. Ward will be a significant part of this secondary trying to get back on track and he's playing with a lot more confidence because of that growing role in the secondary.

"Those last two games I really found myself, coming back from my previous injury," Ward said. "Derek was out that game, Elias was too so I knew I just had to be the one that stepped up."

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

He went over a few position, WR, behind Boutte, this position also is loaded with depth, talent and speed. 

To your point:

https://deathvalleyvoice.com/2021/08/09/lsu-football-tigers-strange-place-wide-receiver-depth/

I don't think there is such a thing as "too much depth", but it could prompt some kids to consider the portal in order to pursue their dreams.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Ingram and Dellinger were out today also. Bech was in a yellow jersey, still practiced. 

I've been reading some good comments on Dellinger, for a true freshman.

And FH, I like everything I saw last year from McGlothern.  He didn't attract much press, but I thought he played well whenever he was in, especially for a freshman.  He could earn a starters role next year after Sting leaves.

• Like 1

I got this today from Dandy Don, about the linebackers, they like their new coach.  Sounds like the LB coach last year did a lousy job, I thought Pelini was going to coach the LB.  At least they like the new guy, Blake Baker.

Jared Small on what’s behind the improvement he’s shown since the spring…

The new coaching staff. They’re real open to giving everyone an opportunity. Like Damone said, you’re able to sit down with them and talk to them, and you’re able to learn. So that’s a big help. Being able to have that connection with your coach, that was key for me. I think that bond was created in the spring and was able to help me branch out.”

My Thoughts: Improved communication and chemistry has been a common theme throughout the summer and spring. For whatever reason, whether it be age or something else, it’s obvious that the players are relating better to this coaching staff than they were with the previous one. But as Small alluded to, it’s about more than just personal chemistry between players and coaches — it’s also about being able to physically spend more time with one another in the same room without the Covid restrictions that relegated lots of last year’s preseason instruction to Zoom calls.

Damone Clark, asked about how he’s regained his confidence after a rough season last year… 

Having coach Jones and coach Baker come in, just having a spring with those guys, being able to sit down and watch film with them. I understand the scheme and that built my confidence up. I give credit to Coach Baker. His style of teaching is just different and he’s able to interact and get the playbook through with all the linebackers.” 

My thoughts: What I said about Small’s comments (above) applies here too. But it was also interesting to hear Clark talk about linebacker coach Blake Baker’s different teaching style, and how he’s teaching the playbook in a way that everyone understands. That was great to hear, especially since last year we heard over and over how LSU needed to simplify things so that everyone could play loose with their cleats in the ground.

• Like 3

Ingram sets lofty expectations for O-Line early in fall camp

ByMATTHEW BRUNE Aug 7, 3:16 PM

It didn’t take long for offensive line coach Brad Davis to set the tone for the entire fall camp on Friday’s opening practice. Players took the field sometime after 4:15 p.m. and by 4:30 it was impossible for anyone within the confines of the practice facility not to hear him.

The offensive line unit appeared sluggish as they transitioned between drills, and Davis was having none of it.

“Things either change or they just stay the same,” Davis yelled as he had his offensive line unit lineup to run. “The standard is (expletive) championships.”

It’s why head coach Ed Orgeron brought him in. It’s not a secret that last year was subpar for the group, and now they’re intent on changing it. 

“He’s a very straightforward coach,” senior offensive lineman Ed Ingram said of Davis. “He tells it how it is. He gets on us for every little thing, because the little things matter. These last two months he’s been beating in our heads that if we want to be the best offensive line, we have to train at the highest level and get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

“He always says we came back for a reason, and that reason is to win a national championship.”

With a group that features three seniors, a graduate senior, and a junior as the five presumed starters, Ingram was quick to explain the differences going into this coming season. From trust, to chemistry, to experience, the unit has all the makings to be one of the best in the SEC.

Orgeron is confident that Davis is the perfect coach to bring them all together in 2021.

“He’s very smart,” Orgeron said of Davis. “First of all, he gets the players to believe in him. He cares about his players. He’s from Baton Rouge, he’s from Louisiana. He recruited most of those guys so he has a relationship with most of them. They respect him. He’s vocal. He’s aggressive. He’s a big guy. He wants to run the football. I'm looking forward to him having a great season with the offensive line.”

Ingram took several questions about how the offensive line will be better in his time at the podium Saturday afternoon, but one particular point of emphasis was the depth on hand. Even with the departure of Dare Rosenthal, the talent on hand goes well beyond the five starters. 

“We’ve had a lot of guys step up,” Ingram said. “Coach Davis made it a big point that we have a lot of guys in the rotation and able to play just in case something goes down. Anthony BradfordMarlon MartinezXavier Hill, we have a lot of guys stepping up and making a big impact.”

Their jobs became even more vital to the success of this team last week when it was announced quarterback Myles Brennan was out indefinitely, leaving LSU with only two healthy scholarship quarterbacks entering the season. Sophomore Max Johnson was named the starter and while he did have two starts last year, there’s still a lot to work on over fall camp when it comes to protection and handling Johnson’s mobility.

“He’s a lot more comfortable behind us this season,” Ingram said. “You can see that he’s built that chemistry with us and he’s a lot more aware and experienced with the playing time he got last year.”

With the combination of experience and talent, the offensive line has no choice but to emerge as one of the best units on this team. There are no more excuses -- but don’t worry, they’re not looking for any.

“Last year we built chemistry and we’ve continued to build on that chemistry this season,” Ingram said. “This year, we’re going to be a dominant force.”

• Like 2

15 hours ago, houtiger said:

I've been reading some good comments on Dellinger, for a true freshman.

And FH, I like everything I saw last year from McGlothern.  He didn't attract much press, but I thought he played well whenever he was in, especially for a freshman.  He could earn a starters role next year after Sting leaves.

Regarding McGlothern, little known tidbit. 

He would've been a 5* CB had he played more CB his last year in HS.  Instead, he played mostly WR and snagged 18 or 20 TDs.  
He changed High schools 3 times and that, along with the fact nobody knew what he would play in college, is why he wasn't higher rated.  But yeah, he's a freak 

• Like 4

DEREK STINGLEY JR. AND ELIAS RICKS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE ONE OF THE COUNTRY’S BEST CORNERBACK DUOS

• By Mark Clements
  • August 11, 2021

Derek Stingley Jr. might be the best player in college football.

You’ll never hear those words come out of his mouth, but ask anyone around the LSU football program—or really, anyone who knows the sport as a whole—and his name will be one of the first ones mentioned.

He’s already topped CBS Sports’ list of the 20 best college football players to watch in 2021. Pro Football Focus ranked him as the No. 1 returning defensive back in the country. And he’s all the way up to No. 2 on ESPN football analyst Mel Kiper’s 2022 NFL draft Big Board.

So it makes sense that the Tigers’ defensive struggles in 2020 turned a lot of heads, both locally and nationally.

LSU, which prides itself on its well-earned “Defensive Back University” moniker, ranked dead last in the entire country, giving up 323 passing yards per game, and second to last as they surrendered 16.31 yards per completion.

Back in 2019, Stingley led the SEC and ranked fifth nationally with six interceptions. Last year, he saw opposing quarterbacks avoid throwing to his side of the field altogether, opting to target the younger, more inexperienced underclassmen around him.

Derek_Stingley_Jr._1055.jpg Photo by Jacob Reeder / Courtesy LSU Athletics

Derekquote.jpg

Oftentimes—as the numbers indicate—this strategy worked. But teams also learned quickly that there was another highly touted talent in the Tigers’ secondary who isn’t to be tested.

It took true freshman Elias Ricks just over three quarters of action to snag his first collegiate interception. He went on to grab two more picks in the next three games and tacked on one more in LSU’s win over No. 6 Florida, placing him second best in the SEC on the year.

“I knew I could come in and do those things if I worked hard and listened to (defensive backs coach Corey Raymond),” Ricks tells 225. “Football is football. If I know what I’m doing, it’s going to get done.”

He had worked his way into a starting role by the season opener and didn’t seem to have too much trouble adjusting to the college game.

Coming originally from California, Ricks did say the size of the players in the SEC took some getting used to. But he used every new opponent and matchup as an opportunity to grow his game.

“The size (of the players) was  
definitely different, and the game was a lot faster,” Ricks says. “But I was learning something new every week. Every week was like a first game for me almost. I was really taking everything from the last week and trying to minimize mistakes.”

Having Stingley around certainly helped Ricks’ rapid development.

The two first met on the recruiting trail back when Ricks was a sophomore in high school. Both athletes were ranked as the best prospects in their respective states and had to learn to handle the pressures that come with being a five-star recruit in the SEC.

FB_CP_121920_26343.jpg Elias Ricks. Photo by Chris Parent / Courtesy LSU Athletics

“When I first came in, he helped me a lot and gave me a lot of pointers,” Ricks says. “He already knew basically what I was going through, and he’s always there for me. We had a lot of similarities coming out of our high school careers with how we were highly touted, so we relate a lot. Talking to him about all the things he went through, and him seeing it from my point of view and knowing that it worked for him his freshman year—I’m just trying to take in everything.”eliasquote.jpg

He seems to be doing a good job so far.

To go along with his team-high four interceptions, Ricks compiled 20 total tackles, five passes defended, and he even scored two defensive touchdowns—which happens to be the same number he surrendered all season.

He was named third team All-American and graded out as the second-best cornerback in the country in man coverage by Pro Football Focus.

“(Ricks) plays with a lot of confidence, which is good to have as a defensive back,” Stingley tells 225. “His passion to win every play is what DBU is all about. DBU is in good hands with Elias.”

Stingley’s comment foreshadows what’s inevitably coming in LSU’s future.

He’ll almost certainly go off to the NFL after this season, being projected as a top-five pick in the upcoming draft. That means he’ll pass the DBU torch onto Ricks, who will become the new face of the Tigers’ secondary.

But for just one last season, LSU fans will get to watch one of the greatest cornerback tandems that’s come through Baton Rouge in recent memory—and arguably the best duo in the country.

“Honestly, if me and him play at our best,” Ricks says, “that’s all we’ve really got to do. He’s the best player I’ve ever played with.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Appears Brian Thomas has been stating his case to start or at least get on the field!!! That's one thing about O, if you can play he'll put you on the field. Transfer portal also makes that a necessity.

Like I said about depth at WR, his name has come up in conversations. From all the recruiting services, he’s the 3rd best WR signed last class. At 6’4” 195#, he has the college size now. 

Our wide receiver class in Feb. was OUTSTANDING, every one a blue chipper.  Brian Thomas, 4*, some had him with a 5th star, Chris Hilton 4*, Malik Nabors 4*, Jack Bech 4*. Deion Smith 4*.  It would not have surprised me to hear that any one of them had broken out.  I guess the recruiting buzz was about Brian Thomas, then Chris Hilton who is one of those track sprint champs.

We gotta be better than last year, there is too much talent on this team.  I read a comment from a sports guy at practice, he said Armoni Goodwin passes the eye test, he is well put together.  That means he has big thighs, although that didn't make a career for Chris Curry.  We're young and thin at QB, that's a concern.

But, Bama's top 3 QB's, Soph, Soph, Frosh.  I see Bama will start Chris Allen and Phidarian Mathis, both from La.  I remember hot battles over these guys, LSU wanted both.

• Like 1

LSU Defensive Lineman Glen Logan to Miss Time With Injury

Logan reaggravates injury but interior defensive line one of the deepest spots on the roster
BY GLEN WEST , AUG 12, 2021
Loading video

LSU's depth along the defensive line took a hit this week as defensive tackle Glen Logan is expected to miss significant time with an injury. On a WWL radio show in New Orleans, LSU coach Ed Orgeron said Logan aggravated a previous injury and will be out for "a while.”

Logan was seen wearing the gold non-contact jersey for the first few days of fall camp before the most recent injury popped up. Over the last three years, Logan has played a big role along the defensive line but has missed time with different injuries. In four years with the LSU program, Logan has recorded 99 tackles, nine tackles for a loss and six sacks as an interior lineman.

Within the last week, redshirt freshman defensive tackle Eric Taylor has also entered the NCAA transfer portal but the depth at the position remains strong. 

The loss of a veteran so soon into fall camp stings a bit but if there's a position group that can afford to take a hit with an injury, it's the defensive line. LSU can go three or four deep at each position along the defensive line, particularly in the middle with Maason Smith, Jaquelin Roy, Neil Farrell, Jacobian Guillory, Joseph Evans and Bryce Langston all pushing for playing time. 

Orgeron has been extremely complimentary of this group early in the fall camp session, particularly Guillory, who he was asked about specifically during his first media press conference. 

"Hopefully he can play this year, he's deserved a chance to play, I think he's had a very good camp, he's had his best summer," Orgeron said. "He's in the best condition he's been. I think he could be a very good football player for us."

It'll be interesting to see how the interior of this defensive line shapes up without Logan. Orgeron also said that Evans was the most consistent interior lineman this offseason for the Tigers while Smith and Roy are both super talented young players who will see the field a lot next to Farrell. 

LSU still has three weeks to carve out specific roles for these players but even with Logan going down, there are ample options and opportunities at defensive tackle.

Devin White came back to graduate from LSU, congratulations to Devin!  He's the best LB I ever saw for LSU, and he continues to shine in the NFL.  It has a lot to do with his speed, especially in today's wide open offenses, they try to get players the ball in space, and SPEED is required to get them down.

O took the opportunity to have Devin address the team, to pep them up.  It's great to have our former players invest in the team.  I think O has done a better job than most in involving the former players.  The speech is today, 8/14/2021.

Around the 3 minute mark, he talks to "dra", I'm thinking Andre Anthony?

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

I saw an interview with Derek Stingley Sr. and they were talking about Jr.'s size.  His dad says he weighs 195, but he said when son shows up places, people remark how big he looks.  They say he looks like he weighs more than 195.  Not sure what's going on with that.  His dad talked about him playing hurt last year, but I'm not convinced, but he was not up to par.  He looked better as a freshman.

Sting had a better freshman year than PP7, but PP7 was better his soph year.  PP7 was outstanding his Sr. year, so Sting has his work cut out to pass PP7 as the best CB in LSU history.