Gameday Tigers

2021 Fall Football Camp

houtiger

Defense shines in first scrimmage 

BySONNY SHIPP 33 minutes ago

Biggest Questions Around The SEC In 2021 (Late Kick Cut)

latekick-biggestquestionssec2021thumbnail.jpg

LSU’s defense, in particular that of the defensive line, shined in the first preseason game of camp for the Tigers on Saturday afternoon in Tiger Stadium.

Saturday’s scrimmage was the first of two for the Tigers before opening the season on Saturday, September 4 against UCLA in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. LSU will scrimmage again next Saturday in Tiger Stadium before holding a simulated game on Saturday, August 28.

“It was an outstanding day,” LSU coach Ed Orgeron said. “There was a lot of hard work and preparation getting ready for today. I thought our coaches did a tremendous job of getting our guys ready.”

Offensively, the Tigers emphasized first, second and third down along with work in the redzone. Orgeron said next week the Tigers will focus on short-yardage, goal line and the two-minute drill.

Sophomore quarterback Max Johnson completed 11-of-19 passes for 127 yards and a touchdown, while true freshman Garrett Nussmeier connected on 11-of-17 passes for 225 yards and three scores.

Among the leading receivers during the scrimmage included Kayshon Boutte and Brian Thomas with five receptions each followed by Evan Francioni with four and Jaray Jenkins with two.

On defense, the play of the ends Ali Gaye and Andre Anthony along with tackles Joe Evans and Neil Farrell Jr. highlighted the day for the Tigers.

“I thought those guys did a tremendous job of pass rush today,” Orgeron said. “They ran around and played well. There were a lot of third down passing situations where they could pin their ears back, but I still thought they did a great job.

“Overall, it was a great scrimmage, mostly dominated by the defense and the quickness of the defensive line. We gave up very few big plays with the first team and I thought we tackled well and put a lot of pressure on the quarterback.”

LSU will take Sunday off from practice and then return to the field on Monday with a walk-through in the morning followed by practice that afternoon. 

• Like 1

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/rise-of-lsu-quarterback-garrett-nussmeier

Good read. I like hearing things like this:

Being just a true freshman, the improvement of Nussmeier in such a short period of time is promising for Tiger fans. Johnson pinpointed Nussmeier’s football IQ during spring camp, specifically the way he can read defenses and make plays out of nothing.

“He’s grown a lot,” said Johnson. “I think just kind of minimizing the mistakes and learning the protections and knowing where to go with the ball. I think he’s done a lot better with that. It’s coming along, you know, we work really well together and it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

With two quarterbacks who have the ability to throw on the run and keep defenses on their toes at all times, the offensive scheme of this Tigers group becomes more enticing. As Johnson continues taking Nussmeier under his wing and showing him the ropes, this LSU team should have no fear at the backup quarterback position.

• Like 1

Four players had Q&A with the press yesterday, via Zoom.  I listened to Neil Farrel, who came in as a 3* and will leave as a starter, kid worked hard to get better.  Ya gotta like him.  He said coach Jones wants more of an attacking defense, which all the players like.  He said the d-line players like coach Carter, and anyone with 80 NFL sacks, they listen to him.

On Dandy Don, there was this:

11.  Cade York on last year’s difficulties…

“Last year was a tough season with a lot of things going on. We came in with Covid and then a bunch of racial awareness stuff going on, so there was a lot of uncertainty and stress. And sometimes it wasn’t handled well. Coach O has done a real good job of getting a good staff in. It’s been a real big focus going through this spring so I think things are definitely trending upwards and looking good.”

The staff, and their relationship with the players.  "sometimes it wasn't handled well", ouch.  I guess that's why O replace so many coaches.  It SOUNDS like the players like this new bunch of coaches a lot better than last year's crew.  Let's hope we get a better result on the field.

On 8/14/2021 at 10:23 AM, Herb said:

That hurts.

I mean, yes...breaking a bone hurts, duh. 😛

But if it was going to happen at any position and not hurt the TEAM as a whole, it's the DL.  LSU goes from 3 deep on the DL to 2.75 deep lol.  

Now can we find out wtf is going on with McGlothern??

Kole Taylor, Jack Bech Taking Control of LSU Tight End Room

Tight end still a position in progress but Orgeron, coaching staff are pleased with the options at top of depth chart

GLEN WEST
UPDATED:
AUG 19, 2021
ORIGINAL:
AUG 19, 2021

As fall camp reaches the halfway point for LSU, one of the positions that is still very much in a state of unknown is the tight end spot. The Tigers have narrowed their sights on two players, sophomore Kole Taylor and freshman Jack Bech, who both bring different elements to this LSU offense. 

Tight end has never been a featured position in an LSU offense, primarily being used as almost a sixth blocker during most seasons. But the one year where the position was featured a bit more was that 2019 offense as Thaddeus Moss broke nearly every program record for a tight end that season. 

With offensive coordinator Jake Peetz bringing back much of the same strategy and scheme to this offense, it's a fair question to raise just how involved Taylor and Bech will be in this offense. Taylor is the 6-foot-7, 243-pound Utah native, who earned an opportunity down the stretch of the 2020 season but became infamous for the shoe throwing incident that kept alive that game winning drive against Florida. 

This offseason, he's been in the weight room adding muscle and continuing to grow as a blocker. But his real strength will come as a redzone and short yardage threat in this offense. He's really impressed his fellow teammates, particularly offensive lineman Austin Deculus, who was around for that Moss 2019 season.

"Kole Taylor is going to be an eye opener for a lot of people this season," Deculus said. "He's going to have his name on a lot of boards, top tight end possibly. Coming out of high school he was more of that lanky body type but he got in that weight room, ate that good Louisiana food so he's all good with the weight.

"Overall he's got more aggressive in the run game and also in the pass. He's not going to just be a pass blocking tight end, he also can get downfield. He's like 7-foot-2 he looks like in pads some days but he's up there, he can go up and make those contested catches. He's gonna be a very dual threat guy for us."

Even just watching in practice, there looks to be massive potential for Taylor in this offense when the Tigers get deep into the redzone. His ability to high point the ball will be useful against practically any slot corner or linebacker that tries to take him on.

Then of course there's the freshman Bech, who the coaching staff absolutely loves as a receiving threat from the tight end position. Bech was originally recruited as a receiver but has been making the transition to tight end since his arrival. His route running and speed in the middle of the field has been praised by Orgeron and other players.

Orgeron said that the biggest area Bech will need to work on is being more physical at the line of scrimmage, which is tough becuse not the typical tight end body type.

ADVERTISING

"Jack is a little out of position at tight end when you put him on the line because he's not as physical as you want him to be, it's not his fault," Orgeron said. "He's a great player, has a tremendous catch radius, goes and gets every ball you want him to."

Quarterback Max Johnson has been excited by the development of both Taylor and Bech and the unique abilities they bring to the tight end spot.

"Kole is more of the physical tight end. He's a good blocker. Jack's more of a pass catcher. We can get him out flexed. He's a blocker as well," Johnson said. "Putting them in space and they're big bodies and they're big threats in the redzone. I think they both bring that to the table."

• Like 1

August 20, 2021

College football may be entering a whole new era as officials move closer to expanding the 25-person signing limit, according to Sports Illustrated.

A proposal is being finalized to change the limit for the 2022 cycle until a permanent policy is created. The decision comes primarily so coaches can manage rosters after an influx of transfers. Some rosters are left with too many open spots and others don’t have enough. In the proposal, schools would gain additional signing spots for players who enter the transfer portal on their own, up to a limit.

In 2021, the Gators lost 10 players to the transfer portal and picked up seven. So, under the proposed rules and assuming the limit is seven or above, Florida could’ve signed a full class of high schoolers and still got their transfers.

Those transfer numbers only look to increase nationwide as programs become more crowded due to the COVID-19-inspired rule that gives each athlete an extra year of eligibility. The same players could also leave en masse in a single draft, so the change was somewhat necessary if disaster was to be avoided for some programs.

The biggest knock against increasing the signing limit is that coaches can exploit it by forcing players out and creating additional spots for more talented players. The proposal attempts to solve that issue by making it so that students must enter the portal on their own.

The hope is that the change will bring the focus of recruiting back to high schoolers trying to make it to the next level and allow schools to reach the 85-man scholarship mark.

"If stats are the most important result of a scrimmage then you only have to look at the final scrimmage of the National Champion LSU Tigers in 2019. Burrow was sacked twice…threw 2 TD’s but completed only 58% of his passes (14-24) for 116 yds. Brennan lit it up as the backup…throwing for 260 yds but completed only 52% of his passes. He was sacked 3 times and threw a TD. While that defense eventually ended up pulling it together, the first half of the season was a struggle…and the Heisman winner could only muster 116 yds against that unit."

Points to ponder...

Everything Ed Orgeron said after LSU's Saturday scrimmage

• by Billy Embody
  • 11 hours ago

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron spoke with the media on Saturday after the team's latest scrimmage. Here's everything Orgeron said about the day, injury updates and more.

Opening statement: "Preseason game No. 2, excellent job by our team and our coaching staff of getting the intensity up out there, it was a great day. A lot of enthusiasm on both sides of the football. The defense started fast on the first series, stopped the first offense, stopped the second offense. Then the first and second offense went down the field and drived on the next couple series. Outstanding day for both. We ended up with a two-minute drill, a lot of great things. We still had some protection problems, got better. Overall, I thought the offense had a better day today, scored points. Made some big plays.

"Couple of stats for you, Garrett was 18-of-32 for 308 yards, three touchdowns, one interception. Max was 11-of-19 for 125, one touchdowns. Rushing, Josh Williams had seven rushes for 66 yards. John Emery and Tyrion did not practice. Armoni Goodwin had six rushes for 25 yards, Corey Kiner, 5 for 15. Those young backs looked good. Devonta Lee, who I said was having a good camp, had five receptions for 85 yards. Malik Nabers, four receptions. Deion Smith, three receptions. Brian Thomas, Jack Bech all those guys had pretty good days.

"On defense, Jay Ward had eight tackles. Zavier Carter had two sacks. Maason Smith had three sacks. Overall, a good day. Our kicker had a 54-yard field goal and obviously we think that he's one of the best in the country. So I think that we got what we wanted to get done today. The elements were out there today, which was good. Our team didn't blink."

On Mike Jones Jr.: "You know Mike is adjusting from making nickel to middle and he's doing a good job. He's not there yet. Obviously, has some experienced linebackers in front of him. He's still learning how to play the middle, but he's doing a fine job for us."

On if there's any consideration to running a 3-3-5: "No, not at all. We're very strong in the defensive front. Glen's going to come back midseason. We've got some young guys playing well. We're sticking with the 4-3 and that hasn't even been discussed."

On if there's concern with John Emery Jr. and Tyrion Davis-Price missing some of fall camp: "Those guys, hey, Josh Williams did a great job. We need these guys to come out and perform. These young running backs have been out there every day. Tyrion and John, you know, have been off and on. Again, I believe in them, they're great backs, but we need some consistency out of both of them and we haven't got it really in camp."

On recruiting and hosting recruits: "First of all, we're excited about this recruiting class. We feel very solid with most of our guys. We have a ways to go. We're still looking for linemen. Linemen is going to be a priority. We have some top guys in the state of Louisiana who are not committed to us, who we're recruiting and we feel like we're in it with most of them. 

"As far as them coming to games, we haven't gone over the protocol they're going to have to do. I'm sure we're going to meet on that soon, but whatever the protocol is, we're going to follow it."

On pushing the team the last few days and what's next: "We were going to go in pads on Thursday, but we had too many guys hurt so we put helmets on and we only had a walk-thru on Friday. We got a great scrimmage today. We got what we wanted out of them. Today, it was preseason game No. 2, the whole deal was to have a final great scrimmage.

"Now, we're going to next week. Monday is Tell the Truth Monday. We're going to fix LSU, obviously, but it's totally game planning for UCLA. We're going to have a mock game next Saturday against UCLA. Then we're going to go over the game plan again and fly to Los Angeles on Thursday and be ready for the game."

default.png

On Garrett Nussmeier: "Yea, he had some big plays. I think it might've been 4th and 27 or something and he threw a bomb for about 60 or 70 yards. He had some big plays down the field. Max is our starting quarterback you know, but I have no problem if Max goes down with Garrett getting into the game. Now, that doesn't mean that Garrett can't compete for the starting position, but right now, I feel good that Max is our starting quarterback and Garrett's behind him, but I think Garrett is going to be one great quarterback. He is dynamite."

On if there's concern offensively with players missing time: "Sure, and it all starts with protection. Now, we're going against a pretty good defensive line, but we've got to protect the quarterback. We've got some receivers that can catch the ball. I feel good about our run game. We've got to shore up our protection. I think that the next two weeks that we're able to get most of our guys back, hopefully. I think we're going to be fine."

On design of Nussmeier getting so many passing plays during scrimmage: "Yea, you know it's just the way Jake's calling it. Max is running with the first team. We are starting to try and run the ball with the first team, but it shouldn't be different, but it ends up being different. It all depends on the game and that's the way Jake's calling it and that's the way he feels like it. I'm going to let him do it."

On coaching staff meshing with the players and his hand in the defensive line: "At the beginning, I wanted to have a great hands on with the defense, which I still do, but I'm going to tell you what, but Andre Carter is one great defensive line coach. I've turned over the defensive line to him. I told him that. I told the defensive line, you know, when I leave and I believe that coach Carter's totally got it. He's totally got it. So I'm even able to go over to offense during some periods. I spend some more time with the offense. 

"The hands on stuff was to implement everything, make sure it's right, and I still have an eye on it, I'm still looking at all the film with the defense, but I'm able to also be the head coach because of the coaching of Andre. I think Andre is a great coach. He's a motivator. He's a disciplinarian. Our guys believe in him so he's freed me up a lot."

On Sage Ryan and Derrick Davis: "Sage is not practicing much. He has a nagging injury. We feel that it's going to get better. It's taking a little time to heal. He should be healed in a couple of weeks. Derrick is doing fine for us. He's not ready to play yet. I think that he can take some snaps. He's still learning the position, but both of those young men are going to be fine. They're just not ready yet."

On potential to expand the 25-man limit for recruiting classes: "Yea, we need it. It's about time. If it wasn't because of the COVID, there's no way we could keep up with the 85 and I don't know what they're going to do if they're going one for one. I read the suggestions. One for one or 30. Whatever it is, it's going to help us. It's much needed and I think they know that."

Get the fastest scores, news, videos and more. Download the CBS Sports App and get the latest on your team today.

On the secondary and who all was out there playing in the scrimmage: "I thought that the guys played great. Darren Evans is probably one of the most improved players on our team. He's had a great camp. He's out there every snap competing against some wide receivers, doing well. Cordale Flott, Jay Ward was out there the whole scrimmage, which makes us stronger. 

"Todd Harris was out there the whole scrimmage, which makes us stronger. I thought that those guys today did not let the deep ball behind them maybe once or twice and it was much improved. I don't think there were many missed assignments or missed errors or guys wide open. I think along with the rush and when we get our great corners back, I think that we should be very strong."

Highest-graded returning players for LSU on offense

USATSI_15139520.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Fall camp officially wrapped up on Saturday with the second and final scrimmage. All focus turns toward Sept. 4 and the opening game against the UCLA Bruins in the Rose Bowl. The first trip to the Rose Bowl during the regular season in LSU Tigers history.

For the team to get off to a hot start in 2021, the offense is going to need to be a step better than they were a season ago. The team finished with 32 points per game, which was 39th in FBS. Newly hired offensive coordinator Jake Peetz is likely looking to far exceed that number. His former boss at Carolina, Joe Brady dialed up 48 points per game for the Tigers in 2019.

The Tigers will trot out quarterback Max Johnson, who led the offense in the final two games of 2020. The offense scored 37 and 53 in those two games. Johnson and Kayshon Boutte were a huge reason for those numbers, especially against Ole Miss in the finale.

A look at the highest-graded offensive players that returned in 2021 according to Pro Football Focus:

Chasen Hines, Offensive Guard
USATSI_14997003-e1628183712311.jpg

Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

2020 Offensive Grade: 63.5

Jaray Jenkins, Wide Receiver
1276849313.jpg

(Sean Gardner/Getty Images)

2020 Offensive Grade: 65.4

Austin Deculus, Offensive Tackle
USATSI_13905134.jpg

Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

2020 Offensive Grade: 67.3