Gameday Tigers

Fall Practice Begins

Fishhead

LSU jersey numbers for 2021 signing class

BySHEA DIXON 40 minutes ago

Biggest Questions Around The SEC In 2021 (Late Kick Cut)

latekick-biggestquestionssec2021thumbnail.jpg

The LSU freshman class is now on campus, and the 22 freshmen are joined by two transfers and one junior college signee to make up the 25-man signing class the Tigers hauled in during the 2021 recruiting cycle.

On Thursday, the team reported back to campus for team meetings and equipment fittings, and on Friday afternoon the Tigers kick off fall camp ahead of the season opener against UCLA in September.

When it comes to potential instant-impact names from the class, LSU head coach Ed Orgeron was quick to circle Clemson transfer linebacker Mike Jones Jr. as a player the Tigers could lean on right away.

"He's 6-2, 220 right now. Mike came in and he fit in with our team right away," Orgeron said during an appearance this week on ESPN104.5's Off the Bench. "It's like he's been with us for four years. A great young man. I'm looking at this linebacker board right now, you've gotDamone Clark, you've got Micah Baskerville that's played. You've got Jared Small that's done a tremendous job for us. You got Bugg Strong. You got Mike Jones, you got Josh White, you got Greg Penn, an outstanding freshman. So we've got some talented, talented linebackers."

Orgeron is also expected some early contributions from the defensive line class, which was headlined at the top by five-star Louisiana defensive tackle Maason Smith.

"I'm looking for depth. I'm looking for development. I'm looking for who's going to be the lead dog," Orgeron said. "I'm going to challenge these guys to be the lead dog. I want some young guys. I guarantee you Maason Smith and Bryce Langston and BJ Ojulari are going to challenge those older guys, which is good.

"Competition is good. Ali Gaye should have a tremendous, tremendous season.Joe Evans, Joe has not played a lot of football for us, but coming out of spring, he was our best interior guy. We've got Neil and Glen coming back, Jaquelin Royis in his best shape. We're strong in the middle, but these guys got to be an attacking defense. We need guys to make plays and rush the quarterback."

On the offensive side of the ball, the Tigers welcome a slew of wide receivers who should battle in fall camp for playing time as true freshmen, while a pair of running backs are hoping to make a splash behind the veterans in the room.

"I'm looking for Tyrion Davis and John Emery to show me what I've seen in practice. I want to see it on just the base," Orgeron said. "From what they showed me this summer, they're ready to have a breakout year. Tyrion's in his best shape. I thought he was 230, but he's 225. He's in great shape, John's in great shape. Corey Kiner, Armoni Goodwin are outstanding young backs. Kevin's done a great job with these guys.

"I told the offense yesterday, we have to run the ball. We're the LSU Tigers. We've got to be physical. When we have to run the ball, we have to get that extra yardage."

Ahead of Friday's fall camp practice, LSU's official website updated the team's roster with all of the new numbers for the freshmen.

Maason Smith - 0
Garrett Nussmeier - 5
Derrick Davis - 6
Deion Smith - 6
Malik Nabers - 8
Brian Thomas Jr. - 11
Matthew Langlois - 14
Sage Ryan - 15
Zavier Carter - 17
Chris Hilton - 17
Mike Jones Jr. - 19
Corey Kiner - 21
Armoni Goodwin - 22
Bugg Strong - 22
Damarius McGhee - 26
Major Burns - 28
Greg Penn - 30
Saivion Jones - 35 
Peyton Todd - 38
Landon Jackson - 40
Kimo Makaneole - 55
Garrett Dellinger - 72
Jack Bech - 80
Bryce Langston - 81

Redshirt freshman defensive tackle Eric Taylor no longer with LSU football team: Source

br.lsuspringfootball.040921 HS 839.JPG
LSU defensive lineman Eric Taylor (96) works with LSU head coach Ed Orgeron in a drill at spring practice, Thursday, April 8, 2021, at LSU's outdoor practice facility in Baton Rouge, La. STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

Aug 6, 2021 - 2:04 pm

Redshirt freshman defensive tackle Eric Taylor is no longer part of the LSU football team, a source confirmed Friday afternoon.

Taylor wasn't listed on LSU's online roster as the team prepared to begin preseason practice Friday, as first reported by 247Sports.

A former four-star recruit from Trussville, Alabama, Taylor used a redshirt season last year. He appeared during the 2021 spring game as a backup defensive tackle.

LSU remains deep along the defensive line with returning upperclassmen Glen Logan and Neil Farrell Jr. leading a group that also includes third-year sophomore Joseph Evans and sophomores Jaquelin Roy and Jacobian Guillory.

The Tigers also added five-star freshman Maason Smith and four-star Bryce Langston during their latest recruiting class, and both may push for early playing time.

A little on Jacobian Guillory from dandy don.  He was such a prized recruit, then we didn't hear from him last year.  I wonder what is up?  He's listed as 6' 2" and 326, that's heavy for his height.   There are a LOT of good sounding d-linemen on the team now.

Orgeron was also asked about defensive tackle Jacobian Guillory, who is entering his second season with the Tigers. Guillory has lost some weight, is in great shape, and squatted 650 pounds the other day. “He can be a very good football player for us,” Orgeron said. “He’s not there yet, but he’s coming along.”

The Aggies are talking Natty over here in TX.  Last year they finished 9-1, bypassed for the CFP in favor of ND (I thought the Aggies were better and should have made the playoff).  Aggies won their bowl game, finished #4 in the nation.  Now they are talking "improvement" and taking the next step.  I think they lost a lot off a good team, like we did after 2019.  I hope we kick their ass and WE take a big step back up.  Geaux Tigers!!!