Gameday Tigers

LSU vs Miss. State - 2018

houtiger

Vegas line has LSU a 6.5 pt. favorite.  State has lost 2 games, to Fla. and a good ranked Kentucky team.  State has an expected stout defense, holding most opponents to about 10 pts., except Ky. which put up 28 on them.  The State offense has underperformed expectations, their 23 point production against Auburn being their high point against big boy competition.

13 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I hope we don't sleepwalk this one and let them get a jump on us

It is always interesting with 20 year olds, what their mental state is.  Against Fla., maybe they were overconfident.  Against Ga., they could see the challenge and they showed up motivated.  Now, they know how good they can be, State is a big challenge who took it to the Tigers last year, and I think they should show up motivated.  The question is "do you want to be a champion (of the west), and do you have the talent and the heart of a champion?".  They have played well enough to put themselves in position that they may win a championship.  But the next 2 games will tell the tale.  It is now or never for this team.  I could get motivated for that, and I hope our team goes out and plays their butts off.  Geaux Tigers!

What I have been thinking, practically since an hour after the win over UGA...

This team had two big wins with Miami and at Auburn, that they then had a letdown game, with a team they were supposed to beat decisively, the week after. Yes, they did end up kicking SELU, but not without looking sluggish before deciding it was a game. And LaTech was in the game practically the whole way. Mississippi state is on an upswing, and is coming off a bye week to rest.

While I know Coach O has been preaching to "not look ahead", it is going to take focus to win this one. The cowbells are hungry and rested. LSU is coming off of two tough SEC opponents and needs some rest. While LSU is the better team (at least imo) all of the factors are there for an upset. 

No taking this game for granted, no focus on the next opponent, no letting your ego of beating UGA get in the way. Play the entire game with the complete focus. 

Coach O can preach all he wants about taking one game at a time, about not taking the bulldogs for granted, about not making this a trap game, etc.

But LSU football players will be taking this game for granted. They're gonna think they're gonna win by walking on the field. It already happened twice this year...against Southeastern and La. Tech.

They may easily lose this game. If they don't its because its in Tiger Stadium which will not be death valley like it was last week. The "fans" will be leaving early and it will be quiet. The band won't play Neck either.

Miss. State definitely has the ability to hurt us in a few areas.  Their DLine is a strength and our OLine has been sporadic at best.  Ed Orgeron calls their defensive tackle Simmons "probably the best DT in the nation".  While Ed Oliver would care to disagree, there is cause for concern there with Simmons going up against a true freshman Hines getting his first start ever at LG.  When we are on defense, they have the same QB who ran all over us last season and he's been running on opposing teams again this year.  They may be a bit one dimensional, but I believe they are leading the SEC in rushing.

Keeping the team focused and getting them ready to play is supposed to be one of CEO's strengths.  As others have pointed out, the ass-kicking we took last season should be all the motivation we need to avoid a let down and be ready to go.

Archived