Gameday Tigers

Who's That Guy? (New Stars-Offense)

Fishhead

A couple of weeks into fall camp, and there's a lot of new faces.  Here's a brief snippet on the ones standing out the most. 

Wide receiver-we have Kayshon Boutte who may be the best in the SEC.  But behind him, there's a few "serviceable" guys we know.  Jontre Kirklin, Koy Moore, Jaray Jenkins, and Trey Palmer.  However, none of those guys has really broken out at the position. Credit to Palmer for his clear athleticism and speed, he has housed a KO return and a punt return in limited opportunities.  
But let's dive into what I believe is the #1 haul of 2021 WRs. 

1. #11 Brian Thomas, Jr
Listen to any interview from camp where they're asking Max, Kayshon, or even Coach O about the WR corps.  The very first name they mention is BTJr.  That speaks volumes.  He's 6'5" and already looks like an SEC WR physically, but he's also polished.  He's winning reps against guys like #1 Eli Ricks in practice.  He's a stud.
Sorry folks, someone already picked him up for their mancrush...congrats, Hatch

2. #8 Malik Nabors
Another guy that is highly spoken of in interviews, a guy that is all purpose, can do it all.  X, Y, Z.  Good hands and decent speed, solid route runner for a true frosh.  He'll get reps, but will probably be a dude in years 2 and definitely 3.

Others to watch are Deion Smith and Chris Hilton.  Hilton in particular was expected to shine right away, but I believe minor injuries have kept him slowed down a bit.  

Running Back-We have TDP and John Emery, and they've shown flashes.  But in order to succeed offensively, we have GOT to get a running game going that's more than just "flashes".  Enter a pair of impressive freshmen backs. 

1. #21 Corey Kiner
In the beginning of camp, especially before pads went on, I heard a lot about his counterpart, Armoni Goodwin.  And for Good(win) reason.  But since they've been in pads, I've seen multiple videos of Kiner, 2020 Football Mr. Ohio, that are more than impressive.  I've seen a video I'll try to share of him planting SENIOR Todd Harris in the indoor practice facility turf with a vicious stiff arm, and then in the scrimmage Saturday, he hurdled a would be tackler like it was nothing.  Now, small sample size, and I have no clue about his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield...but he reminds me in these videos of a pretty good SEC back that gave us nightmares...Najee Harris.  
Let's just say, TDP and Emery better goldenshower or get off the pot.

2. #22 Armoni Goodwin
A very late commit that had been committed to Nootch's favorite team, Goodwin evidently didn't care for the hiring of Brian Harsen at Auburn and jumped in at LSU.  Absolute STEAL.  Nifty feet and kinda reminds me of Clyde when watching him run.  As worried as I was going into this season regarding the lack of production at the RB position (something I think really held us back last year in a couple close losses), I feel a lot better having caught glimpses of these two guys. 

QB-Yeah, QB.  I know I know, Max is CLEARLY the starter.  Myles is out.  We went from having likely the deepest quality depth at QB to the thinnest QB room in the conference just because you shouldn't wear flip flops while walking on a dock carrying a bunch of fishing tackle.  (Get well soon, Myles) 
But shyte happens and here we are with a guy with 2 starts under his belt and a true frosh...

1. #5 Garrett Nussmeier
We saw him in the spring and even then it was clear he has a sort of "it" factor to him that stands out.  He also showed a bit of "int" factor though, throwing multiple picks, leading me to believe he's a feast or famine kind of guy.  
I followed him throughout the summer (social media and such) and found him to be a leader, already has his teammates flocking to him just for his personality.  But personalities don't throw TDs. 
Well now thus far in fall camp and with a scrimmage under our belts, it's clear "Nuss" is not here just to hold a clipboard.  
He's improved his decision making, (credit Jake Peetz), and his talent is elite.  A QBs (and coach's) kid, his footwork is as good as you'll see in a freshman QB, and man he can sling it.  Myles included, I'll say Nuss is without a doubt the most talented QB in the room.  He won't start over Max, but Max better not take his job for granted. (and I don't think he will)

Tight End-I don't wanna spend much time talking about Arik Gilbert.  Kid needs help in a big way.  He's gone from LSU, committed to FU and then back to LSU and then to UGA.  He's no longer practicing with the team in Athens.  It's sad really and I hope he gets whatever help he needs. 

So we have Kole Taylor.  Now, Taylor was a major part of our win in the Swamp last season, but let's face it, it's because his shoe came off at the best time possible and wound up in the hand of the dumbest player for FU.  Victory for LSU!  "WHO THROWS A SHOE???"  
But Taylor is not Arik Gilbert on the physical talent spectrum.  We need help at TE.

1. #80 Jack Bech
An LSU legacy, Jack Bech came to LSU in my opinion as the most underrated player in the class.  Like I mentioned earlier, IMO we landed the top WR haul in the country, and Bech was in that group.  
At 6'2" 207, he's not typical TE size.  Another 10-15 pounds would help him in the blocking aspect of the position.  But he has stood out in drills during camp as a pass catching threat at the position.  Also, the fact that the state's most productive HS WR over the last two years comes in and agrees to a position change to help the team speaks to his commitment to the team.  He has the potential to be a matchup nightmare as a TE/H back and I believe he'll get his chance there.  My only concern is, will the coaches tip their hand by putting him in?  Unless he can truly block, it'll be a dead giveaway that it's a passing play if he's in .

I wish I could talk about a standout freshman OL, but with the injury to Garrett Dellinger, I don't see it.  So that's it for the offense.

Keep track of these numbers and names and if you're in need of a man crush, it'd be wise to grab one of these guys while they're still freshman.  I think everyone on this list is a future star, some sooner than others.

Geaux Tigers!!

• Thanks 1

I don't know if he is trying to light a fire under TDP and Emory but coach O is really talking up the 2 freshman RBs as are some of the players. Probably the toughest thing for a freshman RB to pick up is pass protection.  Wouldn't at all be surprised to see one or both of them getting meaningful carries vs. UCLA

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I don't know if he is trying to light a fire under TDP and Emory but coach O is really talking up the 2 freshman RBs as are some of the players. Probably the toughest thing for a freshman RB to pick up is pass protection.  Wouldn't at all be surprised to see one or both of them getting meaningful carries vs. UCLA

I think it is a combo of the two freshmen are very good, and the two juniors are nicked.  The good news is we should find one or two very effective runners in the group.  Clyde could do it all, run, catch passes, pass block.  I don't know if we have one back that can do it all.

The running backs need the o-line blocking, and that has to improve over last year.  I hope the new coach gets them together, and Shanahan benefits from a year in the Moffitt system.

13 hours ago, houtiger said:

I think it is a combo of the two freshmen are very good, and the two juniors are nicked.  The good news is we should find one or two very effective runners in the group.  Clyde could do it all, run, catch passes, pass block.  I don't know if we have one back that can do it all.

The running backs need the o-line blocking, and that has to improve over last year.  I hope the new coach gets them together, and Shanahan benefits from a year in the Moffitt system.

Did you hear Os comments on TDP and Emery?

He called em out specifically into a microphone. 

I agree with Hatch...maybe to light a fire. They better pis or get off the pot. 

• Like 1

TDP and Emery have both shown "flashes" of being really good. Neither has, however,  really carried the load consistently.  This is their money year.  If they get beat out by true freshman this year that will not bode well for their stock. But you never know. I certainly did not predict that Clyde would explode the way he did his junior year. Prior to the season everyone assumed TDP or Emery would be "the guy" once comfortable with the offense.  Well Clyde was having none of that.  So who you ask is going to emerge this year???? As they say, we fixin' to find out!

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1