Gameday Tigers

Who's That Guy? (New Stars-Defense)

Fishhead

LSU returned nearly the entire defense from 2020, and although some may say "aww, that's too bad", our talent level on defense was never in question.  Coaching and other issues killed us last year.  Hopefully the coaching is corrected, but at the very least, it can't be worse.  
And although we returned a ton of talent, we also added some studs that will make immediate impacts for this season. 

Defensive Line-This is a VERY veteran group, literally everyone returned.  Coach O is a great recruiter, but keeping the DL and OL from last season was, to me, his best recruiting job ever.  But he didn't stop there.  He said when he first took the job, depth in the trenches was an issue he had to fix.  It's taken a few years, but at least on the DL, it's fixed.  LSU is at LEAST 2 deep on the DL with legit talent and experience.  We'll be able to rotate guys in and out, and the one I'm looking forward to seeing the most is....

1. #0 Maason Smith

From down the bayou, this is a guy that made Nootch regret not following recruiting.  By the time I told Nootch about Smith, his HS career was over, and Nootch was upset he never saw him play, even though they're from within a few miles of each other.  At 6'6" 292 lbs,  Smith is a physical specimen that I believe has the potential to be a legend at LSU.  I'm talking Glen Dorsey/Chad Lavalais type guy.  Although the DL is loaded with seniority, guys that were a part of the greatest college football team in history IMO, it'll be hard to keep Maason off the field.  I'm not sure he "starts" against UCLA in a couple weeks, but I guarantee he plays a ton.  He's an absolute monster.

Linebacker-This is a position I think it's fair to be concerned about considering last season.  Bo Pelini went from one of my favorite coaches ever to just an outright embarrassment to me.  This was HIS group, he's a LB coach for crying out loud.  He did LSU, the defense, and especially this LB corps a disservice last season. 
He's gone and so is Brillo Cox, so who's our LBs this season? 
We have Damone Clark back and I fully expect him to return to form, at least I hope.  
But Coach O was able to add some key pieces to this unit that I believe will round out into a decent group. 

1. #22 "Bug" Strong 

A JUCO transfer that comes in with a reputation as a thumper.  He'll lay the lumber, but can he be in position to do so?  It's hard to tell from camp clips because they focus mostly on the glamour positions like QB, WR, etc.  But hell, last year we couldn't get anyone to just knock the shyte out of a back coming through the hole.  I'm confident Strong will do just that.

2. #19 Mike Jones, Jr

Former CLEMSON Tiger Mike Jones, Jr came to LSU via the transfer portal.  Talent is there, I've seen him in action briefly, and he's a former Clemson guy, so knows what winning is.  I have one concern about him and it's this:

I heard him interviewed and he says he still has a lot to learn and improve on.  Kayshon Boutte says that as well, but when I hear Boutte say it, I know that's a guy that set an SEC all time record for receiving yards in a single game the last time he played.  Hearing him say it sounds like humility and a fantastic work ethic.  
Not saying Jones, Jr. isn't trying to project the same vibe, but it's a little scary to hear it from someone you don't know much about, but were expecting to contribute immediately to a position of need. 

We'll see a lot of 4-2-5 defense this year, so there's a little comfort in that.  Hopefully Jones Jr. is the real deal.  Sorry for the not so ringing endorsement lol.  Believe me, I'm not saying he sucks.  If I felt that way, he wouldn't be mentioned here.  I just hope he gets it figured out quickly because there's so little KNOWN quality depth.  Thank God Micah Baskerville was able to work his way back onto the team.

DBU-LSU already has without question the top 2 cornerbacks in the nation, period.  LSU always recruits at a high level in the defensive backfield, but I expect #1 and #7 to do their thing and the newcomers will just have to wait.

Safety though...that's another story. 

Although not a new comer per se, I'm going to talk about...

1. #5 Jay Ward

Ward was injured early last season and looked pretty slow and out of place when he was forced to play prior to being fully recovered, due to other CBs injuries.  But we saw toward the end of the year that he's absolutely a representative of DBU!  Like Nootch and I mentioned in podcasts toward the end of the year, "He's a DOG!".  
Ward's move to safety is THE thing I'm looking forward to seeing in action this season.  I absolutely cannot wait!  He's simply a playmaker, and him being able to play the ball from that position is going to provide dividends to a unit that, quite frankly, absolutely sucked last year.  

2. #15 Sage Ryan

From Lafayette, LA, LSU landed 5* safety Sage Ryan.  Immediately, watching his film and realizing our needs, I saw him in the role of the nickel back.  Cordale Flott will start there, but I see Sage getting his opportunities early and often.  Also, Senior Todd Harris better step up his game, because Ryan is the real deal.  

3.  #6 Derrick Davis, Jr

As noted, Nootch does NOT follow recruiting.  That said, I found it interesting right after NSD he called me and asked about this cat.  I haven't been able to see much of him in camp vids or even hear much from interviews, but that's because guys like me and Nootch have yet to receive our press passes.  We'd be the reporters asking about DBs instead of QBs and WRs.  
But the reason DD Jr makes that list is simply because Nootch asked about him.  I can't help but think he's lining up his next mancrush, and the dude can flat out pick a man crush, amirite?  

Just some names to watch on the fun side of the ball...the DEFENSE!  

Geaux Tigers!!

Part of the reason Mike Jones transferred from Clemson to LSU is to make the move from OLB to ILB.  He was interviewed recently and he said he wants to make the transition because doesn't see many guys his size (6'2" #234) playing on the outside in the NFL. Admitted he is having to make the adjustment to having players right in front of him and coming right at him.

“It’s been a challenge,” Jones said. “Since high school, my game has been more outside and it’s a different game. It’s a lot more physical and faster, but I have great teammates and great coaches and they've helped me develop as fast as I can. There’s a lot of competition in that linebacker room, so I’m trying not to get left behind. I’ve gotten better and we’ve gotten better as a whole.”

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/lsu-mike-jones-take-on-new-role-linebackers

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I mean he's a junior in reality, and I'm still trying to figure out what to consider him.  I had high hopes for him, hope he has some impact along the way.

Yeah...he has talent but just seems lost in the depth chart. Unaware if there are other issues, though.

21 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Part of the reason Mike Jones transferred from Clemson to LSU is to make the move from OLB to ILB.  He was interviewed recently and he said he wants to make the transition because doesn't see many guys his size (6'2" #234) playing on the outside in the NFL. Admitted he is having to make the adjustment to having players right in front of him and coming right at him.

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/lsu-mike-jones-take-on-new-role-linebackers

This could be the case, but that offers no less concern.  I think he'll get there, but wish he was ready to go full of confidence day 1.