Gameday Tigers

'O'pen Discussion

Fishhead

We all saw the game, (except maybe a couple without power who were unable...you blessed souls)

We ALL saw 2019.  Greatness.  

I want to take a look at the overall big picture starting with 2017.  
Coach O went out and hired Matt Canada and it was clear there was some meddling, resulting in reported fighting between O and Canada.  Canada got the ax and thanks to 2018 and 19, it appeared Canada was the issue.  But where is Matt Canada now?  He's the OC for the damn Pittsburgh Steelers!  

2018 was an improvement, 2019 was flawless to be honest.  

In January of 2020, LSU won the CFP in dominating fashion, Joe Burrow and a dozen other 2019 Tigers went to the NFL, and O got divorced.  I'm not trying to bring Coach Os personal life into this discussion, but within a couple months, he himself threw it out in public so it's fair game!  Pictures on social media of him in bed with a much younger blonde hit the headlines.  

I don't blame him for sowing wild oats, but here's the issue.  He's literally the CEO of a $100,000,000 (that's one hundred MILLION dollars) corporation, so to speak, and he has NO clue about PR and public perception.  None.  
Jogging everywhere he goes around town shirtless, snapping pics with folks along the way.  Odd at best. 

Fast forward to the 2020 season.  Yes, I know...Covid.  I DO think with the vast number of departures including 20 players, Joe Brady, and Dave Aranda was a LOT to overcome given the restriction of no spring practice and limited fall camp.  But what we saw was atrocious on the field.  Hiring a DC without as much as an INTERVIEW, then fighting (there's that word again) with him on the sidelines in front of 1000 cameras.  It was Os idea to switch defenses for whatever reason.  Cost us players like Marcell Brooks, Apu Ika.  But he was hell bent on changing it even though our roster was not built for a 4-3...the roster HE BUILT (remember, he was also recruiting coordinator prior to taking the job).  But there we were, LSU...FRIGGIN LSU!!!! Looking completely inept on defense. 

Most head coaches have a specialty.  (Most have at least been coordinators, but alas, there are exceptions, so moot point)
His is defense.  2020 offense was pretty damn good.  But the LSU defense, his specialty, was literally the worst in LSU history.

Now here we are in 2021, having replaced BOTH coordinators.  With regards to the DC, they'll say they got their man, Daronte Jones.  And I don't wanna bash Jones.  But the fact is, Marcus Freeman and others interviewed for the job and either turned it down (We KNOW Freeman did) or O said something along the lines of "we didn't feel it was a fit".  
Well more and more it is obvious little comes out of this man's mouth that is actually truth.  He said last pre-season "the defense (2020) is better than at any time last season (2019).  Read that again. 
So the product we saw on the field last year with 11 people running around like a monkey fornicating a football was better than the 2019 defense with the Thorpe Award winner and multiple all Americans hoisting a national championship trophy??  IDIOT!

2020 we couldn't stop anything on defense, and we couldn't run the ball.  

Fast forward to 2021.  We can't stop anything on defense and the very same players are running around like monkeys fornicating a football (LBs and Safeties), and we can't run the ball.  The good news is we also can't PASS block.  

Fast forward to 2021.  Walking into the Rose Bowl with trooper bicep, the CEO of a $100,000,000 corporation gets into a verbal altercation threatening a fan from the opposing team telling him "bring your ass on with your sissy blue shirt".  That only took a few hours to go viral with UCLA...having spanked our asses...putting "Sissy Blue Shirt" as the header on their twitter account and making T shirts to go with it.  
The celebration LSU had in the White House with the "Get the Gat" video...now UCLA has their own "Get the Gat" video celebrating their win against LSU.  Also viral.  Meanwhile, another viral video from the west coast trip involves Coach O walking down a VERY public stretch of LA with another hot blonde.  

This idiot doesn't get it.  And it's gonna bite him in the ass.  

This is not a "I told you so".  I'm saving that for Nootch.  We agreed in 2016, but I actually began to buy in to this idiot after '18 and certainly after '19.  But Nootch, although he gives him credit for 2019, never wavered and predicted this day would come.  

Here it is.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

If Jordy knows anything on the inside, it is not pretty.  Says it was streamed live Monday afternoon.  Real comments start about 10 minutes in, because Kayshon does not say anything negative.

Hou, if it's the story about the camp, I didn't mention that because there's no confirmation. Jordy....I like Jordy, but he's the one, along with Ponamski, that orchestrated the whole thing getting O the job in the first place. 

2 hours ago, COTiger said:

Whoa!!  Where did you get that "info" from?

I listened to the radio. He and ponamski did the am show together and interviewed O every week before he was even at LSU in any capacity. Then once he was there, they promoted him big time to replace Miles. 

I'm gonna guess you don't get that station.

It got Ponamski the job he currently holds (Os water boy) and got Jordy inside info until he saw through the BS last year and the station ran him off because Ponamski wouldn't even let him ask questions anymore. 

So now he has his own show and can let all the truth out.  I just didn't forget he was part of the duo pushing O back then

Pretty damning list of what O has done/not done:

Fails to retain any juniors from the team.

Talks shite about Aranda.

Is caught completely off guard by Brady leaving. Seemingly no contingency in place because he thought he was staying.

Hires Pelini without interviewing him despite Bo being irrelevant for the better part of a decade.

Insists the team switch to a 4-3 despite not having the personnel to do so.

Proclaims the D to be the best ever. It is in fact, the worst ever.

Hires Linehan, who Cowboys fans hated, and who was an over the hill, not in demand hire.

Both coordinators fired in less than 12 months.

Gets divorced.

Has trashy photos all over the internet of him with various bimbos.

Alienated the entire team by being tone deaf to the BLM movement and praising Trump. Whether you agree with him or not, he blew it and Saban once again nailed it.

Creates a toxic culture full of mercenaries that drop out or quit the minute things get tough.

Gets played by Arik Gilbert not once, but at least twice.

Takes an eternity to hire new OC and DC and is turned down multiple times before settling on a couple of no names.

Is forced to fire his underperforming OL coach because of recruiting violations rather than the obvious terrible job on the field. And this happens weeks before the season opener and now the players admit it's an issue and they were confused...

Once again overhypes the team all offseason only to get demolished in Game 1.

Confronts a booster like some roided up buffoon at a fishing camp (allegedly, ha).

Talks shite to a UCLA fan before getting curb stomped a few hours later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dachsie said:

Pretty damning list of what O has done/not done:

Fails to retain any juniors from the team.

Talks shite about Aranda.

Is caught completely off guard by Brady leaving. Seemingly no contingency in place because he thought he was staying.

Hires Pelini without interviewing him despite Bo being irrelevant for the better part of a decade.

Insists the team switch to a 4-3 despite not having the personnel to do so.

Proclaims the D to be the best ever. It is in fact, the worst ever.

Hires Linehan, who Cowboys fans hated, and who was an over the hill, not in demand hire.

Both coordinators fired in less than 12 months.

Gets divorced.

Has trashy photos all over the internet of him with various bimbos.

Alienated the entire team by being tone deaf to the BLM movement and praising Trump. Whether you agree with him or not, he blew it and Saban once again nailed it.

Creates a toxic culture full of mercenaries that drop out or quit the minute things get tough.

Gets played by Arik Gilbert not once, but at least twice.

Takes an eternity to hire new OC and DC and is turned down multiple times before settling on a couple of no names.

Is forced to fire his underperforming OL coach because of recruiting violations rather than the obvious terrible job on the field. And this happens weeks before the season opener and now the players admit it's an issue and they were confused...

Once again overhypes the team all offseason only to get demolished in Game 1.

Confronts a booster like some roided up buffoon at a fishing camp (allegedly, ha).

Talks shite to a UCLA fan before getting curb stomped a few hours later.

Copy cat lol.  And this post from TD doesn't even include all the violations

On 9/7/2021 at 9:35 AM, Fishhead said:

This is not a "I told you so".  I'm saving that for Nootch.  We agreed in 2016, but I actually began to buy in to this idiot after '18 and certainly after '19.  But Nootch, although he gives him credit for 2019, never wavered and predicted this day would come.  

Here it is.

i’m not going to say “i told you so”. 

Just going to say that nobody should be surprised that Ed Orgeron is still the same Ed Orgeron that he’s been for literally his entire career. 

You don’t magically morph from a laughingstock caricature into a coaching Savant in your mid 50s. 

6 minutes ago, COTiger said:

Ed Orgeron Coaching Record | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

IMO, that's a fairly impressive coaching record.  His successor at Ole Miss, Houston Nutt didn't fare any better. Ole Miss Football History: Houston Nutt Era – SEC Y'ALL (secyall.com)

Ed Orgeron won a total of 10 games at Ole Miss

Houston Nutt won 9 in a single season. (TWICE)

5 hours ago, COTiger said:

Nutt won 9  twice probably with talent he inherited from his predecessor.

also, note: Houston freaking Nutt was capable of winning 9 games with the talent the dude before him could only 3 win with?

Houston
Nutt

anyone rushing out to hire that guy?
nah, didn’t think so  

Also nobody said O can't recruit. He's one of the best at getting elite talent. 

But not addressing the OL recruiting sooner is biting him in the ass right now. La'el Collins is the last elite OT LSU has had. That was a decade ago. Miles failed there too. It's why we're 1-9 against Bama the past 10 tries. 

Somebody has to address this. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Also nobody said O can't recruit. He's one of the best at getting elite talent

see, there are multiple ways to rank a “recruiter”  

O is your crazy drunk uncle  
Everyone lives to hang out with the guy. It’s fun. He’s hilarious. He always has cold beer. So all your friends want to hang out with him.  He knows exactly what to tell your beer drinking buddies to keep them around. Nobody is cutting the grass. The cows never got fed and the corn is wilting from lack of water.  

Saban on the other hand is your WWII era grandpa. All your buddies have to work to earn their keep. But they get fed very well by grandma (if they work for it).  Grandpa can spot which of your buddies is worth inviting over again and again and again.  All of the work gets done. Everyone eats well. At after all of the work is finished and everyone got to eat, THEN we can have a beer to relax that day away. But in the morning, time to go back to work.

So while drunk uncle has a good ole time with your dumbass hick buddies getting plastered on Schlitz and boone’s farm, while the crop wilts and your cattle die  

your grandpa has a fully functioning and self preserving operation. Everyone carries their own weight and everyone eats well the corn is prospering and the fatted calf is in the freezer.

I expect LSU to win the next 2 games. Unfortunately Orgeron is in a position where he has to absolutely pummel the team his son(s) play on.  Anything less is another nail in his coffin.

Michigan State is coached by Jim McElwain and as much fun it was to deride the 'shark humper' when he was at Florida, there is a reason he keeps getting gigs as a head coach. Bama went 12-0 when he was their OC, when he was Colorado State's HC they looked like they were back on track to what Sonny Lubick built there, etc.,. McElwain did himself in at Florida with his "death threat" accusations and was fired with cause (or 'mutually parted ways' depending on who you believe).

My Point on Michigan State is that it has the potential to be another Troy if we overlook them.

After that, LSU plays Auburn. The last time LSU had a coach on the hot seat and lost to Auburn by double digits that coach (Les Miles) was fired the next day. History could repeat itself.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Herb said:

I expect LSU to win the next 2 games. Unfortunately Orgeron is in a position where he has to absolutely pummel the team his son(s) play on.  Anything less is another nail in his coffin.

Michigan State is coached by Jim McElwain and as much fun it was to deride the 'shark humper' when he was at Florida, there is a reason he keeps getting gigs as a head coach. Bama went 12-0 when he was their OC, when he was Colorado State's HC they looked like they were back on track to what Sonny Lubick built there, etc.,. McElwain did himself in at Florida with his "death threat" accusations and was fired with cause (or 'mutually parted ways' depending on who you believe).

My Point on Michigan State is that it has the potential to be another Troy if we overlook them.

After that, LSU plays Auburn. The last time LSU had a coach on the hot seat and lost to Auburn by double digits that coach (Les Miles) was fired the next day. History could repeat itself.

A. it’s Central Michigan

B. the Auburn loss was by 5 points