Gameday Tigers

'O'pen Discussion

Fishhead

4 hours ago, houtiger said:

Raymond and Joseph are both position coaches, and I don't see someone stepping in easily to do their job.  I would look at Ensminger, he was OC for several years and is LSU thru and thru.  Or even look at the analyst ranks and see if there is someone with head coach experience at a smaller school.

teams have been promoting assistants to the interim role for over 100 years now. 

don’t see that being an issue. 

Especially if we promote Raymond since Daronte Jones is also a DB coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

teams have been promoting assistants to the interim role for over 100 years now. 

don’t see that being an issue. 

Especially if we promote Raymond since Daronte Jones is also a DB coach.

I said they were "position" coaches, not just assistants.  The usual selection for interim head coach is either an offensive or defensive coordinator, or someone with the title "assistant head coach".  O was a position coach when he was elevated to interim at LSU, but he had a successful stint as an interim head coach at USC.  LSU also fired Cam Cameron who was OC, so he was out of the running.  Elevating position coach O to interim head coach made sense given all that happened, but in general, a position coach is not selected to be interim head coach, unless he has the title assistant head coach already.

I checked the LSU site and Mickey Joseph is the assistant head coach.  If we don't want Peetz or Jones as interim, its Mickey Joseph or appeal to Ensminger.

Joseph was the head coach at Langston in 2011-2012, where ever Langston is.

Raymond is recruiting coordinator, and I think you would need him to keep recruiting and coaching the secondary.  Recruiting is a lot to handle as an extra job.

20 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

but seriously, it would theoretically be more difficult to replace a coordinator who is responsible for every aspect of one side of the ball than a position coach who is responsible for technical aspect (and typically personnel rotation) of one position group only. 

It could depend on how many games are left in the season.  At Maryland a few years ago, when they fired the coach, they elevated Matt Canada to interim head coach and he was the OC.  There were a lot of games left.  The season is a write off anyway, so apparently they don't worry about a bit extra on a coordinator.  Hal Hunter at LSU carried the title assistant head coach when they fired Dindardo and Hunter coached one game.  What a turnaround, I thought we would hear from Hunter down the road, but you have to look him up to see where he went.

Edit:  I wonder if anything happens Monday?

Edited by houtiger

19 minutes ago, houtiger said:

It could depend on how many games are left in the season.  At Maryland a few years ago, when they fired the coach, they elevated Matt Canada to interim head coach and he was the OC.  There were a lot of games left.  The season is a write off anyway, so apparently they don't worry about a bit extra on a coordinator.  Hal Hunter at LSU carried the title assistant head coach when they fired Dindardo and Hunter coached one game.  What a turnaround, I thought we would hear from Hunter down the road, but you have to look him up to see where he went.

i think (and this is really just a guess) that it’s usually a coordinator because typically those are the most experienced guys in the building. 

they’ve already climbed up from position coach to Coordinator. 

also,  as coordinators they are responsible for the game planning, organizing, implementing, as well as being responsible other coaches working under them. 
All of which are also required of a Head Coach. 

On 10/3/2021 at 9:11 PM, houtiger said:

LSU may have trouble justifying termination for cause. 

the thing about cause is that you have to have a 100% slam dunk case  
which is why you rarely see it happen  

what typically will occur is School tells coach we have this on you. Coach says i’m not sure that’s enough. Coach and school both know it get ugly if it goes to court. They both know that dirty laundry gets aired if that happens.

So they agree to a lesser buyout with a NDA attached to it.

4 hours ago, houtiger said:Hal Hunter at LSU carried the title assistant head coach when they fired Dindardo and Hunter coached one game.  What a turnaround, I thought we would hear from Hunter down the road, but you have to look him up to see where he went.

Hunter coached one game as HC, beat Arkansas, there was talent on that team. Hunter has been coaching in the NFL since 2006. 

I've settled on when I think it happens. 

We've got FU then at OM, then bye. 

I said BYE, sucka.

Will give em two weeks to gel with whomever fills in and come to grips with it. 

Then we beat everybody but Gumps and the "he's one of us" crowd can get riled up again. 🙃

Even a full $21 million buyout is manageable as they are paid out in installments over the balance of the time on the contract. How many years are left on O's extension? Divide that $21 million by those years.

If anyone hires Orgeron as an assistant coach and recruiter - which will probably happen sooner rather than later - whatever he gets paid by the new team is subtracted off of the top of the annual buyout payments, making it even more palatable.

As Nootch pointed out, there will likely be a negotiated settlement behind an NDA.

There is also probably a 100% chance that LSU has an NDA in the existing contract, which means Oregeron cannot disparage LSU in any way, shape, or form or try to bring his playbook to another team.

Anything like that will be a breach of contract and LSU can get out of what they owe him. 

18 hours ago, houtiger said:

I said they were "position" coaches, not just assistants.  The usual selection for interim head coach is either an offensive or defensive coordinator, or someone with the title "assistant head coach".  O was a position coach when he was elevated to interim at LSU, but he had a successful stint as an interim head coach at USC.  LSU also fired Cam Cameron who was OC, so he was out of the running.  Elevating position coach O to interim head coach made sense given all that happened, but in general, a position coach is not selected to be interim head coach, unless he has the title assistant head coach already.

I checked the LSU site and Mickey Joseph is the assistant head coach.  If we don't want Peetz or Jones as interim, its Mickey Joseph or appeal to Ensminger.

Joseph was the head coach at Langston in 2011-2012, where ever Langston is.

Raymond is recruiting coordinator, and I think you would need him to keep recruiting and coaching the secondary.  Recruiting is a lot to handle as an extra job.

O fired Cameron. O was already IHC when that happened. 

Raymond or Joseph will be the interim. I agree E would be the better pick, but I see him likely actively putting it out there that he doesn't want it. 

Obviously Daronte and Peetz ain't happening. 

15 hours ago, Herb said:

Even a full $21 million buyout is manageable as they are paid out in installments over the balance of the time on the contract. How many years are left on O's extension? Divide that $21 million by those years.

If anyone hires Orgeron as an assistant coach and recruiter - which will probably happen sooner rather than later - whatever he gets paid by the new team is subtracted off of the top of the annual buyout payments, making it even more palatable

How long did it take for Les Miles to get another job?