Gameday Tigers

What to Watch For-McNeese State

Fishhead

This is what to watch for re: LSU.  

OL-Can we add some creativity ie: Pull a guard or C and create confusion/movement to the DL instead of just trying to push forward?  It's like we thought we're so superior we could just push UCLA around.  Guess what...we can't

Running game in general- Again, creativity.  I don't care if they wanna hide stuff for SEC play.  That got us to 0-1.  Evidently we need to practice our actual scheme.  Let's see it. At least let's do more than try the A gap and B gap. Gimme a break.  
Also let's see Kiner.  Goodwin is available, hopefully he'll be ready to go too.  Let's see what we got.  Let's see if they can help with picking up blitzes and get them experience doing so. 

Passing game-To be honest, as much as everyone is hammering the coordinators, Peetz had a good game plan with regards to the passing game.  (NOT the run game)  There were CONSTANTLY guys running open and with fairly easy throws.  But Max was inaccurate.  He has to be more accurate.  He has to step into the pocket (it existed at least part of the time, but he didn't go to it).  If there's no pocket, he can't backpedal and pump fake until he gets sacked.  He's gotta get the ball out or take off.  Period.  
If you dare, re-watch the game.  Hell, just the first half.  I can count three inaccurate passes including a couple with minimal pressure that were TDs if he puts it on his guy. 
Also let's see some Nussmeier.  I do believe Max is the guy, but let's get Nuss some reps.  Let him make mistakes, then let him learn.

DL-Let's see our DEs set the edge on run plays.  We know they can rush the passer.  But not setting the edge for the past two years has allowed runners to get to the second level, which is kryptonite for this LSU defense. 
Let's start the best players.  Jacquelin Roy and Maason Smith were CLEARLY the best DTs.  I don't care about seniority at this point.

LB-Mike Jones.  Get him on the field.  Let's see if he's better than what we got.  He graded out highly at Clemson with regards to coverage.  Why in the hell was he absent last week while our LBs constantly struggled to cover mediocre athletes?? (OK the TE is good, but he ain't crazy athletic and fast)

S- IDK.  Ward likely out, hopefully Langlois and/or Sage Ryan are ready to go.  We're in trouble here if they're not.  I mean, not in this game, but going forward. 

CB- IDK man.  At least with McNeese they'll get more opportunites this week.  9 friggin completions last week, only 1 or 2 to WRs.  I think our CBs are good. 

Point being, I keep seeing "we better beat them like a rented mule", but I don't think that's gonna prove anything.  I wanna see LSU play sound fundamental football, tackle well on defense, be creative on offense and "get it to our athletes in space" like we were told would happen.  I don't wanna hear about or see the "Joe Brady offense".  I wanna see the Jake Peetz offense.  
I wanna see adjustments by the staff if McNeese has success at a particular thing.  Not just keep doing the same thing hoping for a different result.  COACH, DAMMIT!

Geaux Tigers though.  It's hard to make any kind of statement in a game like this except a bad one.  Let's just improve on the fundamentals in both players and coaches, get the youngsters some work, and for crying out loud, no more injuries!!