Gameday Tigers

LSU vs McNeese

Nutriaitch

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

We are gonna get killed in SEC play

I'm hoping last night's game and next week's game will give the staff and players to work on cleaning up "protection issues" and tackling and coverage fundamentals. 

However, I think you are right in your concern that - given the level we have recruited at over the last few years - we will not do as well as we should. This is a "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" situation.

I think you are are also right that SEC teams we should beat will instead beat us.

I hate where this program is right now as we're looking down the SEC shotgun barrel part of our schedule.

• Like 1

Everyone talking about recruiting the last couple years...

Right now, who's our best players in your opinion?

From what I've seen, best RBs are freshman. 

Aside from Boutte, best WRs are freshman. Boutte is a sophomore. 

QB... Nuss looks like the real deal. 

Secondary has players when they're not all hurt. 

Maason Smith and J Roy are grown ass men. 

So LB and OL

You can't just look at the recruiting rankings. It needs to be looked at more specifically. Our LB recruiting has been subpar at best. 

Our OL recruiting has been criminal!! And it can't be fixed mid season. Period. 

On a side note...look at is all of the schools that have been either upset or struggled with weaker opponents over the 1st 2 weeks of the season:

Clemson (3rd at the time) lost to UGA (5th at the time)
North Carolina (10th at the time) got beaten by Virginia Tech (unranked)
Wisconsin (12th at the time) got beaten by Penn State (19th at the time)
Washington (20th at the time) got beaten by Montana (unranked)
Oklahoma (3 at the time) almost got beaten by Tulane (unranked)
Ohio State (3) lost to Oregon (12)
Iowa State (9) lost to Iowa (10)
Notre Dame (8) squeaked by Toledo (unranked) with a 4 point win
USC (14) lost to a fairly weak Stanford team n(unranked)
Texas (15) got the crap beaten out of them by Arkansas (unranked)
Utah (21) got beaten by BYU (unranked)
Miami (25) squeaked by with a 2 point win over Appalachain State (unranked)

And on what planet should a team like Florida State lose to Jacksonville State?

It's been a crazy start of the season all around.

That does not make us suck any less, though. It's a little eye opening.

1 hour ago, Herb said:

I'm hoping last night's game and next week's game will give the staff and players to work on cleaning up "protection issues" and tackling and coverage fundamentals. 

However, I think you are right in your concern that - given the level we have recruited at over the last few years - we will not do as well as we should. This is a "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" situation.

I think you are are also right that SEC teams we should beat will instead beat us.

I hate where this program is right now as we're looking down the SEC shotgun barrel part of our schedule.

Central Michigan is good enough to beat the team we trotted out the last 2 weeks

52 minutes ago, Herb said:

On a side note...look at is all of the schools that have been either upset or struggled with weaker opponents over the 1st 2 weeks of the season:

Clemson (3rd at the time) lost to UGA (5th at the time)
Ohio State (3) lost to Oregon (12)
Iowa State (9) lost to Iowa (10)

while the vast majority of your post does get the point across, these 3 don’t really qualify. 

these teams were all ranked close enough to their opponent that you can’t really say one is demonstrably better that the other. 
especially this early in season when rankings are mostly guess work vs result oriented. 

9 minutes ago, COTiger said:

Remember who he was throwing against.

Not the point.  Look at who MAX was throwing against if we're gonna go there.  Nuss is far more agile in the pocket, can actually stretch the field, put the ball on receivers (who dropped FIVE in the 4th quarter), and has twice the arm talent.  

I don't know why Max is struggling so much with the pressure.  Sometimes there's not even real pressure, but he's so gun shy he seems to be panicking.  Nuss looked far more comfortable and confident. 
Max has also been quite inaccurate.  
I think one thing that could actually help relieve some of the pressure is the threat of a downfield strike.  Max hasn't displayed that thus far this year.  Nuss' first pass was a go route on the money but receiver was barely OOB and didn't catch it anyway.  Point being, seeing that could give some pause to these DCs we're facing.  
Not sure if you noticed, but UCLA played cover 0 most of the night against us.  At best, single high safety.  Give em something to think about and make em play cover 2, get some of these defenders out the box!  

Nuss brings that. 

I'm not saying he should start, but you can tell he has a different level of arm, mobility, and confidence.  He can throw the ball from his hip right on the money well downfield.  
He needs to stop throwing into double coverage.  However, when he did that last night, every one was on his receiver's hands.