Gameday Tigers

Coaching Changes 2021.

LSUDad

Urban Meyer fired as Jaguars head coach

Curtis Crabtree
23 hours ago

Urban Meyer has been fired as head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars after just 13 games with the franchise.

transparent-320x50.gif

Meyer’s tenure with the Jaguars was a rocky one from start to finish with the number of off-field headlines about Meyer’s decisions and conduct far exceeding the team’s number of wins. His firing comes hours after a story came out from the Tampa Bay Times with former Jaguars kicker Josh Lambo saying Meyer kicked him in a practice in August.

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell will take over as interim head coach. Bevell served as interim head coach for the Detroit Lions last season.

• 3 weeks later...

Ohio State football not retaining offensive line coach Greg Studrawa

Joey Kaufman
The Columbus Dispatch

Greg Studrawa coach of Ohio State’s offensive linemen talks to players in a drill during practice at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center in Columbus, Ohio on August 6, 2019. [Kyle Robertson/Dispatch]

Ohio State is not retaining offensive line coach Greg Studrawa, the school confirmed Thursday.

Studrawa, 57, had spent six seasons on the Buckeyes’ coaching staff, beginning as an assistant under former coach Urban Meyer and remaining when Ryan Day took over in 2019.

• Like 1

Gene Chizik returning to college football as ACC defensive coordinator, per report

SDS Staff | 6 hours ago

Gene Chizik looks to be leaving the SEC Network for a return to the sidelines, but for a different team than originally reported. According to FootballScoop, Chizik will be the next defensive coordinator at North Carolina.

This news comes after Chizik was reported to be taking a head coaching and general manager position with the USFL’s Birmingham Stallions. Thursday, he called the reports a rumor and said nothing was final.

Chizik, 60, last coached at North Carolina as defensive coordinator in 2016. The Tar Heels were then led by head coach Larry Fedora. Chizik’s return to UNC reunites him with current head coach Mack Brown. At Texas, Chizik was Brown’s defensive coordinator in 2005, the year the Longhorns won the BCS, and 2006.

OL coach Rob Sale leaving NFL's New York Giants to become Florida Gayturds' offensive coordinator

raanan_jordan.png&h=120&w=120&scale=crop
JORDAN RAANANESPN Staff Writer10:51 AM ET3 Minute Read

New York Giants offensive line coach Rob Sale has left the NFL team to become the offensive coordinator for the Florida Gayturds, it was announced Tuesday.

Sale heads back to the SEC and reunites with new Florida coach Billy Napier, who he worked with at Arizona State and Louisiana. Sale was Napier's offensive coordinator/offensive line coach at Louisiana, where they set several school records on offense in 2019 and finished 19th in the College Football Playoff rankings in 2020.

Napier, who is planning on calling offensive plays in his first year in Gainesville, was hired to a seven-year deal to replace Dan Mullen with the Gayturds.

The Giants' season concluded with a sixth straight loss Sunday to Washington.

Sale's departure came hours before the Giants (4-13) made it official that coach Joe Judge would not return for a third season.

Sale, who worked with Judge previously at Alabama, just finished his first NFL season. He dealt with a line that was devastated by injury early in the season. The Giants ranked tied for 16th in the league in sacks allowed (38) and 24th in the league in rushing (99.3 yards a game).

Sale and Judge both declined to answer inquiries several weeks back about rumors surrounding a potential move to Florida.

The Giants hired Sale to replace Dave DeGuglielmo as their offensive line coach last offseason. They will now be looking for their fifth line coach in the past three years this offseason.

Sale, 42, was an offensive lineman at LSU from 1999 to 2002. He took his first college coaching job in 2007, as a strength and conditioning assistant and analyst with Judge at Alabama. He left Alabama in 2012 to coach the offensive line at McNeese State, and had the same role later at Georgia, Louisiana Monroe, Arizona State and Lafayette

• Like 1

College football coach abruptly resigns overnight

Jon Cooper | 8 hours ago

Todd Graham has resigned as the head football coach of the University of Hawai’i after completing just his second year of a 5-year contract.

Graham finished his Hawai’i tenure as 11-11 in 2 seasons.

“Todd informed me of his decision to resign,” said UH Athletics Director David Matlin, via a university release. “We enjoyed many successes under his leadership even as he faced pandemic conditions, the withdrawal of Aloha Stadium, and the prohibition of any fans for nearly all his time with us. Todd’s tireless efforts as a coach have made a positive impact on many student-athletes. We have talked at length, and it is clear he has taken this action so that the football program can thrive moving forward.”

Graham wrote a letter, saying that he has to “do what is best for his family and his health” by stepping away.

I am grateful to have had the opportunity to serve as the Head Football Coach at the University of Hawai’i for the past two seasons. After much prayer and reflection with my family, I have come to the conclusion that I will step away as head coach of the Rainbow Warriors, with a very heavy heart. I want to give my thanks and appreciation to the players, staff and coaches who persevered through all the challenges of 2020 and 2021. It wasn’t easy, but they all fought the good fight and we did things the right way.

Our staff poured our hearts and souls into our players and truly made a difference in their lives. I could not have asked more of their commitment, work ethic and love for our players and football program. But it is clear to me that I must step away and do what is best for me and my family and my health. I honor, value and love all of my players and coaches and I wish you the very best. The University has not asked me to step down. I am leaving solely for my family and my health. We have laid a strong foundation for future success, and I will always be cheering you on!

May God Bless You, Coach Todd Graham

Graham’s resignation comes after some Warriors players expressed their discontentment with the head coach, saying that he has “killed our love and passion for football.”

Graham’s own son became the 14th player to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal from Hawai’i in late December.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

I have no idea what Hawaiian culture is like. I can imagine a world where someone really doesn't "fit".

Maybe Graham realized this and pulled the rip cord on the parachute before things really spiraled.

I have a good friend on that staff, Phil Bennett’s son Sam. I’ve seen this before, the Head Coach walks into the AD’s office, out of the blue, resigns. Many things can go on behind closed doors. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

REPORT: Jaguars To Hire Bucs Offensive Coordinator As Head Coach

By J.C. Allen

Jan. 25, 2022

28 Comments

The Bucs will have more than just players to replace on the roster this offseason. According to Eric Dillard of The Bold Take Podcast, the Jaguars are hiring Tampa Bay offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich as their next head coach. SB Nation’s Demetrius Harvey confirmed the report shortly after.

• Like 1

Report: Former Panthers coordinator Joe Brady expected to remain in NFL

Griffin McVeighabout 1 hour
former-carolina-panthers-offensive-coordinator-joe-brady-expected-remain-nfl-buffalo-bills-quarterbacks-coach-lsu-tigers Former Carolina Panther offensive coordinator Joe Brady on the field before a game against the Miami Dolphins. (Cliff Hawkins/Getty Images)

Offensive coordinator Joe Brady and the Carolina Panthers had a messy breakup. Head coach Matt Rhule was critical of the play calling at times and fired Brady in the middle of the season.

Even so, Brady is still going to get another chance in the NFL. According to NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport, the Buffalo Bills have hired Brady to be their new quarterbacks coach. He will be replacing Ken Dorsey, who was recently promoted to offensive coordinator.

Brady will now be working with one of the best young quarterbacks in all of football, Josh Allen. The former first-round pick threw for 4,407 yards, 36 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions this season. Allen was just seconds away from bringing the Bills to the AFC Championship after an all-time performance.

Brady became a popular name in the coaching world after working with the 2019 LSU national championship team. Players such as Joe Burrow, Ja’Marr Chase, Justin Jefferson, and Clyde Edwards-Helaire dominated the college football world thanks to the offensive innovation of Brady.

Outside of the NFL, Brady was also a candidate for potential college football offensive coordinator jobs as well. His name was thrown around to join Mario Cristobal and the Miami Hurricanes. 

However, working with Allen and the Bills ended up being the decision.

Might have one here. 

Alabama DC Pete Golding arrested Thursday, per report

Adam Spencer | 10 hours ago

Alabama DC Pete Golding faces criminal charges after being arrested on Thursday morning.

Per a report from 247Sports, Golding was arrested for driving under the influence in Northport, Alabama, and has been booked into the Tuscaloosa County Jail.

Per the report, Golding’s bond has been set at $500, but as of Thursday morning, he was still in the jail.

Golding has been Alabama’s defensive coordinator since 2018. He just helped the Tide put together the nation’s No. 2 overall recruiting class during the 2022 cycle.

Prior to arriving in Tuscaloosa, he spent the 2016 and 2017 seasons as UTSA’s defensive coordinator. He played at Delta State from 2002 to 2005, where he was a safety.

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Might have one here. 

Alabama DC Pete Golding faces criminal charges after being arrested on Thursday morning.

Per a report from 247Sports, Golding was arrested for driving under the influence in Northport, Alabama, and has been booked into the Tuscaloosa County Jail.

Per the report, Golding’s bond has been set at $500, but as of Thursday morning, he was still in the jail.

Golding has been Alabama’s defensive coordinator since 2018. He just helped the Tide put together the nation’s No. 2 overall recruiting class during the 2022 cycle.

Prior to arriving in Tuscaloosa, he spent the 2016 and 2017 seasons as UTSA’s defensive coordinator. He played at Delta State from 2002 to 2005, where he was a safety.

I wonder if he was wearing Gumps gear when he was pulled over?

Edited by COTiger

11 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Might have one here. 

Dang - $500 and his wife won't bail him out?

• Haha 2