Gameday Tigers

Coaching Changes 2021.

LSUDad

Auburn? 

Austin Davis steps down at Auburn: Tigers abruptly lose offensive coordinator as coaching turnover continues

Jan 31, 20223 min read
austin-davis.jpg

Getty Images

Bryan Harsin is only one season into his stint as the head coach at Auburn, and he's in search of his third offensive coordinator. Austin Davis, who was hired in December to replace Mike Bobo, has abruptly stepped down from his position due to personal reasons, the school announced on Monday. Davis came to Auburn from the Seattle Seahawks, where he served as quarterbacks coach for head coach Pete Carroll and star signal-caller Russell Wilson from 2019-21. 

"The last week has been difficult for me as I've made the decision to step away from coaching football," Davis said in a statement. "Auburn University and Coach Harsin have been tremendous through this whole process. I am grateful for the opportunity that was presented to me from a coaching standpoint and equally as important, the way Coach Harsin has handled my current situation. My decision to resign is 100 percent based on personal reasons. After more than a decade in the NFL with the daily grind as a player and coach I've realized how much I miss my family and my desire to spend more time with them. While I need to step away from coaching, I can't say enough about the first-class way I was welcomed into the Auburn family and the way this football program is run with a championship mindset and a focus on developing these young men into winners on and off the field."

Davis spent seven years in the NFL and played in 16 games, including eight for the St. Louis Rams in 2014. He threw for 2,548 yards, 13 touchdowns and 12 interceptions during his professional career. He starred at Southern Miss from 2008-11, throwing for 10,892 yards, 83 touchdowns and 27 interceptions.

Below is a look at the biggest takeaways from the news that Auburn is now on the hunt for a new offensive coordinator. 

ESPN analyst on Bryan Harsin situation: 'Rarely does a coach survive' in this situation

Justin Rudolph2 days
espn-analyst-auburn-tigers-bryan-harsin-situation-rarely-coach-survive-this-situation-sec-football AUBURN, ALABAMA - OCTOBER 30: Head coach Bryan Harsin of the Auburn Tigers during their game against the Mississippi Rebels at Jordan-Hare Stadium on October 30, 2021 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Bryan Harsin

Bryan Harsin completed his first season as head coach of the Auburn Tigers and he already sits on a hot seat much warmer than a south Texas summer. 

Reports have been swirling around that the Tigers are possibly going to fire their head coach after a season. And one ESPN analyst believes with that being the case, Harsin’s time at Auburn will likely include soon.

On Friday, ESPN analyst Chris Low was a guest on the Paul Finebaum Show and explained just how dire things are for the Tigers’ head coach.

“I’ve done this long enough to know when the genie gets out of the bottle like this, rarely does a coach survive. And ultimately I think that’s what’s going to happen with Bryan Harsin,” said Low.

Auburn went 6-7 in Harsin’s first season, losing to Houston in the Birmingham Bowl to wrap up the year. Since the end of the year, Auburn has seen a lot of turnover on the roster and coaching staff. That doesn’t bode well Harsin, who heads a program that is expected to compete for a CFP bid every year.

Auburn in line for a reunion with Steele

If Auburn decides to move on from Harsin, the question then becomes who is next in line to become the Tigers head football coach. And on Friday, while a guest on the Paul Finebaum Show, ESPN analyst Chris Low offered up a unique candidate.

“Yeah, I think Kevin Steele would be in play, he had a lot of support the last time,” he said. “I go back to what I said a minute ago about a bit of a division or fracture, I think when you look at the fact that they hired Bryan Harsin, that was not who some of the people there, longtime prominent boosters wanted. And Jay Gogue, the outgoing president, Allen Greene, brought in Bryan Harsin. Will that change a second time? I don’t know.

“But I do think without question Kevin Steele will have some support there, because he knows the place and, I think, much like Bruce Pearl, there are people that feel like he can come in and be a uniter. I think there’s a lot of people that would want that job.”

After agreeing to terms with Kevin Steele to become the new defensive coordinator at Maryland last week, he has jumped ship to Miami. And if Low’s assumption is correct, it will be the third time that Steele is on the move in this offseason.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Former LSU defensive coordinator gets a contract extension in new gig

Kyle Richardson
February 15, 2022, 3:10 pm
4772e1f351c22f1cf790a8c75c38ac9d

Former LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda has done well for himself since taking over as the head coach at Baylor in 2020.

His first season with the Bears was disappointing, as they finished 2-7. That led to the team parting ways with their offensive coordinator, Larry Fedora, who was replaced by Jeff Grimes from BYU.

Fast forward to 2021, Aranda led the Bears to their best season in school history with a 12-2 finish. They spent most of the season ranked in the top 25 and even had an outside shot at getting into the College Football Playoff. They won the Big 12 title and beat the Ole Miss Rebels 21-7 in the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Now, Aranda is being rewarded in the form of a contract extension through 2029. The extension was rumored near the end of the season when Aranda spurned interest from other jobs, and the Baylor brass made it official on Tuesday.

“I am incredibly grateful for Dave’s outstanding leadership of our football program and student-athletes through his commitment to preparing champions for life,” athletics director Mack B. Rhoades said in a statement. “Dave has brought unprecedented success to our football program both on and off the field. He has brought tremendous national exposure and acclaim to our institution and the greater Waco community. We look forward to the future with Dave, his wife, Dione, and their children and the continued growth of our football program, student-athletes, and fan support under his exceptional leadership. Dave is, without question, one of the most brilliant minds in college football across the country.”

In addition to his defensive coordinator role while at LSU, Aranda served as the assistant head coach and linebackers coach from 2016-19. During his time at LSU, the defense was rated as high as fifth in the nation for total defense, 10th for rushing defense, and 14th in passing defense.

In his first three years as defensive coordinator, Aranda saw nine of his players selected in the NFL Draft, two each in the first and second rounds. In addition to that, six more of his players made NFL rosters as free agents. The Tigers were 42-11 while he was on the Bayou. He played a pivotal role in creating the smothering 2019 National Championship defense.

Now, he’s well on his way to rebuilding Baylor’s program, and it seems he’ll be around for the long haul in Waco.

I'm happy for Aranda.  He seems like a great fit at Baylor.  In his introduction press conference, he spoke of his faith and how his value system meshed with those of the university.  If you can get excellent coaching and mesh the value systems, you've really got something.  Maybe he was too smart for the LSU boosters to like him.

• Like 1

Charlie Strong reportedly returning to college football

Jon Cooper | 4 hours ago

Charlie Strong is set to return to college football with the Miami Hurricanes, according to ESPN’s Chris Low. Strong is set to be hired to coach UM’s linebackers.

Strong, of course, was formerly the head coach at Louisville, Texas and USF, but he’s no stranger to the SEC. Strong coached in the Southeastern Conference at Florida as Urban Meyer’s defensive coordinator at Florida, and, most recently, an analyst on Nick Saban’s staff in 2020.

Last year, however, Strong joined Meyer’s staff with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Now, he’s set to return to college football with the Hurricanes.

Miami head coach Mario Cristobal is already putting together a really good coaching staff. UM has already hired Josh Gattis as its offensive coordinator and Kevin Steele as its defensive coordinator. Hiring Strong to coach the linebackers would be another great addition.

Strong’s recruiting prowess and South Florida ties would be a big win for Cristobal.

• Like 1

Art will win the SWAC the first year. 

“Art Briles, who was fired as Baylor's head coach in 2016 following the university's investigation into campus-wide allegations of sexual assault, has been hired as Grambling State University's offensive coordinator, an athletics department spokesman confirmed to ESPN on Thursday.”

That was quick! 

Art Briles resigns as Grambling's offensive coordinator, per reports

Adam Spencer | 4 hours ago

Art Briles’ name was thrust back to the forefront of college football over the weekend, when Hue Jackson’s Grambling program tried to hire him as offensive coordinator.

Let go by Baylor amid a massive sexual assault scandal within the Bears’ program, Briles’ name had been mentioned in rumors in recent years with connection to CFB jobs, but nothing ended up materializing.

Now, though, after being hired by Grambling, the negative feedback from all around the CFB landscape has led to Briles resigning:

33 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

In today's cancel culture I don't think even Nick would get away with hiring him.

I think Urban Meyer will be banished also.  Of course, Urban is a multi millionaire and he can just ride off to the nearest golf course.  He won't hurt.  If Briles saved his money from Baylor, he won't hurt either.