Gameday Tigers

LSU vs CMU

Nutriaitch

2 hours ago, Herb said:

This could very well be a trap game for us.

Jim McElwain is a good coach and one would assume that their lines are manned with some corn-fed Midwestern boys.

This isn't a gimme by any stretch, but we should still win.

I mean it wouldn't shock me if we lost. If we play faster on offense and thre defense from last week wasn't just an illusion, we'll win. But if we continue playing like dogshit on offense, we could easily lose

Led by Deion Smith, trio of LSU freshmen wide receivers have huge nights in rout of Central Michigan

BR.cmulsu.091921 HS 1964.JPG

LSU wide receiver Brian Thomas Jr. (11) celebrates with LSU wide receiver Deion Smith (6) after Smith scored in the first half against Central Michigan, Saturday, September 18, 2021, at Tiger Stadium on the campus of LSU in Baton Rouge, La.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

It’s no secret that the LSU football team has a deep and talented receiving corps.

The Tigers showed just how deep in a 49-21 blasting of Central Michigan on Saturday night in Tiger Stadium.

With the offense missing starter Trey Palmer, LSU coach Ed Orgeron and offensive coordinator Jake Peetz started three true freshmen along with sophomore Kayshon Boutte against CMU.

While Boutte had a quiet night by his standards, the three freshmen — wide receivers Deion Smith, Jack Bech and Brian Thomas Jr. — came up big.

They combined to make 12 catches for 266 yards and had three touchdowns. Eleven of their 12 receptions produced first downs.

Boutte had a 2-yard TD from Max Johnson among his six catches for 44 yards, but the freshmen trio turned heads as Johnson was 26-of-35 for 372 yards and five scores.

With Palmer dressed in sweats and fellow starter Jaray Jenkins playing sparingly, Orgeron had no qualms about going early and often to the three freshmen who had combined for two starts going into the game.

“I thought we would be able to throw the football tonight,” Orgeron said. “I’ve seen these guys make tremendous plays in practice.

“It was good. … It was fun to see them do it in Tiger Stadium. I see them do it all the time in practice, and they finally got their chance.”

After last week’s win over McNeese State, Orgeron wanted to add more juice to his struggling offense.

Smith, Bech and Thomas were the primary beneficiaries as the Tigers piled up a season-high 484 total yards — with 400 coming through the air.

“We made some improvement tonight,” Orgeron said. “I was very pleased with the play of our young receivers. We got to see what we’ve been seeing in practice with Deion Smith.”

Smith, the top player in the state of Mississippi last season, missed some practice time in preseason camp and wasn’t available for the season-opening loss to UCLA.

But the 6-foot-3, 198-pounder had the biggest night after catching two passes for 13 yards in his collegiate debut against McNeese State.

He had 135 yards on five receptions against CMU and got his team's first two offensive touchdowns on passes of 28 and 40 yards from Johnson.

Bech also caught five passes for 81 yards and a 20-yard touchdown after having just five receptions for 74 yards in the first two games.

Thomas, who had one reception for 18 yards in the first two games, finished with two catches for 50 yards. His 41-yarder set up Bech’s second-quarter touchdown.

Johnson said putting Boutte in the slot helped the youngsters.

“Putting Kayshon in the slot allowed us to open some other things for the other receivers like Deion and B.T.,” he said. “Putting them in space and trying to get them the ball was what we were trying to do.”

All-American cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. was certainly impressed after going against them in practice.

“It was good to see all the young bucks flying around making plays,” he said. “We see them doing it in practice, so it was fun to see in a game.”

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I saw the CM game on SECN, it was pretty good.  Kiner looked good.  It looks like the freshmen receivers are passing many on the team.  The first Dieon Smith TD, not sure that is a TD against a Bama DB.  The catch I liked was the one in the second half when Max was trying to throw the ball away and I think Smith made a great catch on the sideline.  I saw McGlothern hit a receiver and not wrap up and let him get away.  Later McGlothern made a very good play.  He's good, can get better.  I didn't have my DVR so I couldn't stop and watch the o-line.  Depth showed good on the d-line.  I saw Cherry in at DE replacing Andre Anthony, he needs to improve setting the edge .  Nussmeirer regressed a bit, maybe McNeese vs CM effect.  Big plays gave the points to CM, a blown pass coverage, a Johnson pick six.  The game was probably not as close as the score.  An enjoyable game to watch.

36 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I saw the CM game on SECN, it was pretty good.  Kiner looked good.  It looks like the freshmen receivers are passing many on the team.  The first Dieon Smith TD, not sure that is a TD against a Bama DB.  The catch I liked was the one in the second half when Max was trying to throw the ball away and I think Smith made a great catch on the sideline.  I saw McGlothern hit a receiver and not wrap up and let him get away.  Later McGlothern made a very good play.  He's good, can get better.  I didn't have my DVR so I couldn't stop and watch the o-line.  Depth showed good on the d-line.  I saw Cherry in at DE replacing Andre Anthony, he needs to improve setting the edge .  Nussmeirer regressed a bit, maybe McNeese vs CM effect.  Big plays gave the points to CM, a blown pass coverage, a Johnson pick six.  The game was probably not as close as the score.  An enjoyable game to watch.

That was Malik Nabers that caught the ball Johnson was trying to throw away. 

But looking at a couple of Smith's catches, I want to point out his body control.  
On the jump ball in the end zone, watch his lower body.  Although he's reaching to high point the ball, his legs remain directly underneath him.  His body control on the catch overturned on the sideline (that they placed on the wrong 45 after they determined it was a catch) is actually one of the best catches I've ever seen.  I have no clue how he got that left foot down prior to the right foot that hit out of bounds, but he very clearly did.  The left foot was the high foot when he caught the ball which is why they just assumed he was oob.  They were watching the low foot.  Then his other TD, his ability to run the receiver off the ball then last second maneuver to the left to catch the ball without resistance is uncanny.  

He clearly is beyond a true college freshman level with his late reaction skill, not giving the defender a chance to react before the ball gets there. 

Bech-he's literally ALWAYS open, even if he isn't the target.  Watch the first play of the game...the long bomb (into double coverage).  Bech is wide open about 10 yards in front of Max.  But it was probably scripted to go deep the first play of the game to set a tone.  Maybe that's to open the run game.  

McGlothern is good, but like many coming off injury, real tackling may have to come in time.  Hopefully he's one that gets the fear out of the way quickly.  He'll be desperately needed today. 

• Like 1