Gameday Tigers

The Fix is In

Fishhead

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Herb said:

Was trying to get Fish's video to embed.

Based on this, the official can call targeting. The rule talks about “forcible” contact to the head or neck area with the helmet, arms, or shoulders. What does forcible mean? Apparently whatever the official wants it to mean.

White’s facemask inadvertently touched Fitz’s. Is it a bad judgment call? Yes. Is the punishment absurdly severe? Yes. Is the official calling within the rule? Also yes.

That part of the targeting rule gives an official way too much leeway to make a judgment call when the punishment—ejection and disqualification for the first half of the next game—is so severe.

But if you wanna see why LSU fans can have a good team and a good season and still feel like they’re getting screwed... that’s why. The important things that go against us always seem to favor Alabama, going all the way back to when they got a rematch after we beat them in their house and had to play an extra game in Atlanta.

It wasn't 5 seconds after the bogus "review" and 90k in the stands were thinking Inbred Gumps and the fix was in.  The game at hand wasn't the reason the refs got booed to the end of the game. Between every play for the rest of the game, booing.

I am sick over this. On my way home I listened to two radio crews (who were in the press box and could see the "review" ref) say that the ref who did the review barely glanced at it before ruling. Hanigriff, who is normally level headed, said "agenda". 

It was just as bad that the SEC felt the heat and before I even got home, issued a written statement of "blah blah, screw you, LSU". They just doubled down. In all fairness, the statement did have to be written. It's hard to talk with a roostah (edit: c ock, dick, sausage) shoved down your throat.

I want to think this team can overcome losing White for a full half in that game. I don't see how this team can lose White for a full half in that game.

One last thing. I missed seeing this because I was trying to get out of the stadium. I hope they are still running.

So we won't have Devin White on the field for 30 minutes of playing time.  Let's swallow the bitter pill that (shockingly) SEC refs make crappy calls.

This might not be as bad as we think, though I will be the 1st to admit that we need all weapons in our arsenal to have a chance ot beat Alabama.

Given that LSU is always the nemesis of the Crimson Tide and that LSU always plays Alabama closer than any other team is capable of, we can probably assume that each offense will (hopefully) mostly split time of posession.   That means we're likely to only really miss White for 15-18 minutes of actual on-the-field time he normally would have had.

This is where it might get interesting...

Aranda needs to cover this in a way that will both prevent the gumps from capitalizing on White's absence AND give Saban's staff fits because they have not prepared for a couple of wrinkles designed to compensate for White's suspension. 

In addition, to the need for Phillips and Queen to "step up", I'm guessing we might see some intersting substitutions. Keep an eye on what Aranda does with Jacoby Stevens.  My guess is that we'll see some "3 Safety" packages with Delpit sliding up into White's slot and Stevens (now an OLB but having worked at both the WR and Safety positions) playing one of the 2 high positions.  Stevens and Delpit could also flip flop those roles with Delpit playing his usual role and Stevens lining up at ILB.

At the end of the day, we undoubtedly will be giving Alabama defensive formations that nobody has seen this year (which likely would have happened whether White was suspended for a half or not).

• The one benefit for LSU that I can see from White missing the first half of the game is that when he comes in for the second half, he's gonna be fresh and going full tilt while the other players on the field will have run their gas tanks down a bit during the first half. Add to that the fact that Inbred Gumps won't be able to make halftime adjustments for a player they haven't seen in the first half. 

This could actually work out to Alabama's detriment.

2 hours ago, wsgeaux said:

White’s facemask inadvertently touched Fitz’s. Is it a bad judgment call? Yes. Is the punishment absurdly severe? Yes. Is the official calling within the rule? Also yes.

Unfortunately, I agree.

Along with that questionable penalty on White last night, there were two other 15-yard penalties assessed against LSU for celebration/unsportsmanlike conduct. They players were flagged individually and each penalty was marched off for a total of forty-five yards. I have NEVER seen such a thing in my life. If penalties are enforced by combining the yardage, then shouldn't that happen every time multiple penalties occur on a play? Such as, if two defensive players get called for holding on the same play, then shouldn't both the penalties be marked off for a loss of twenty yards? 

I'm trying to find the official rules for how that was strung together last night. The forty-five yards in penalties for one play was more baffling than the targeting call.

2 hours ago, wsgeaux said:

The important things that go against us always seem to favor Alabama, going all the way back to when they got a rematch after we beat them in their house and had to play an extra game in Atlanta.

Oh it goes back soooo much further

39 minutes ago, Herb said:

Unfortunately, I agree.

i disagree completely. the rule is worded as “forcible contact” to head or neck area. the head/neck contact on that play was at most minimal.

27 minutes ago, The Swamp Angel said:

Along with that questionable penalty on White last night, there were two other 15-yard penalties assessed against LSU for celebration/unsportsmanlike conduct. They players were flagged individually and each penalty was marched off for a total of forty-five yards. I have NEVER seen such a thing in my life. If penalties are enforced by combining the yardage, then shouldn't that happen every time multiple penalties occur on a play? Such as, if two defensive players get called for holding on the same play, then shouldn't both the penalties be marked off for a loss of twenty yards? 

I'm trying to find the official rules for how that was strung together last night. The forty-five yards in penalties for one play was more baffling than the targeting call.

the unsportsmanlike should have been one flag only. 

i have never seen flags thrown for each individual player involved in an excessive celebration before last night.

so it should have been 30 yards instead of 45. 

15 for White since it was a live ball foul, then 15 for the celebration since it was a dead ball after the play.

12 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Oh it goes back soooo much further

‘09 PP7 pick was pretty damn egregious too. 

Archived