Gameday Tigers

Future LSU HC

NDTiger

Media scolds Jimbo Fisher after Texas A&M loss to LSU

ByBRAD CRAWFORD 12 hours ago

Latest On Major Coaching Searches 11/23 (Late Kick Cut)

latekick-coachingsearcheslatest1123thumbnail.jpg

For a team expected to compete for a College Football Playoff berth this season, Texas A&M's lackluster 8-4 finish following Saturday night's 27-24 loss to LSU is a tough pill to swallow for coach Jimbo Fisher. Fisher received plenty of criticism from the press after the game.

"Disappointed. It was a very hard-fought game, very good game," Fisher said. "Knew they were going to be a great team. They've been playing great defense the last three weeks and their offense made the plays they had to make."

The Aggies split four games in November to tank any shot at a New Year's Six bowl invite.

"Kevin Sumlin got let go after number of 8-win seasons. This is not the standard that Texas A&M wants," SEC Network analyst Jordan Rodgers said during the broadcast. "They invested a ton of money into Jimbo Fisher and their facilities. They expect to be a top-tier team. Yes they knocked off Alabama, but slipping up the year at several times is not exactly what Jimbo Fisherexpects from his teams."

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

Here is some of the reaction surrounding Fisher following Texas A&M's loss.

For a coach reportedly at the top of LSU's wishlist in a coaching search soon coming to an end, Saturday's result was eye-opening. Ed Orgeron stumbled to a 6-6 finish in his final season with the Tigers and is only two years removed from an unbeaten run to a national championship. Fisher pushed aside LSU coaching rumors earlier this month and said he was looking to build with the Aggies. On a 10-year deal, Texas A&M doesn't have much of a choice.

LSU athletic director Scott Woodward is reportedly "big-game hunting" and wanted Fisher or Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley, but the ship has reportedly sailed on both. Here's what Fisher said last month about the LSU vacancy:

“I coached there, it was a great place, we won national championships. It is one of the best places in America, it is a wonderful place. I love being at A&M and I plan on being at A&M here and fulfilling my whole contract. I love everything about this place. And let me tell you something else. The way this place has embraced me and our family, including our foundation, the things that are going on with our foundation, the way people have embraced it, the way people have done everything here in College Station, I love everything about the people here, the administration here and everybody in charge here, and the people who run this organization. I love it here.”

The numbers don't lie and this is an indictment on Fisher's tenure thus far, at least to the point of competing at college footballs' highest level — which is what the Aggies expected when they lured him away from Florida State prior to the 2018 campaign. Compared to Kevin Sumlin's four years, the win total is almost identical.

Peering closer at the numbers, Texas A&M appears to have paid Sumlin a bargain price of being nationally-relevant as a top 25 program compared to the money the Aggies are shelling out for Fisher, who's one of only five active head coaches with a national title to his credit. No wins over ranked competition on the road is a head-scratcher.

As of Friday night, LSU's coaching search remained the biggest "potential domino" for college football's current vacancies, according to Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel,who wrote that the Tigers' are running out of time with big-name options coming off the board thanks to Woodward's time-consuming "obsession" with Fisher. Thamel says Mark Stoops at Kentucky is becoming a backup option for LSU.

"There’s a chance other potential targets — Louisiana’s Billy Napier and Iowa State’sMatt Campbell — could be gone by Monday morning," Thamel wrote. "If Kentucky’s Mark Stoops is the fallback plan, that’s not a bad plan but also not a Woodward-ian splash. Expect something disruptive here."

Looking back, it's hard to believe everything came together for the Aggies that night against Alabama. Texas A&M had lost back to back SEC games coming in before Zach Calzada played the game of this life against the then-unbeaten Menstrual Wave. That was one of the only bright spots this season for a team that underachieved.

And then speed-talk you through another $800 on routine maintenance that has went awry. Seriously speaking, Fisher's star is shining a little less bright at the end of the regular season after Texas A&M failed to meet expectations as a preseason top 10.

The detractors for Fisher came out strong in Week 13, many pointing to other colleagues at major programs also struggling. Eight wins and a bowl invite is not the end of the world by any stretch, but when you consider Texas A&M's returning talent on defense and what the Aggies thought they would be offensively, the fanbase has to be disappointed.

4COMMENTS

And Orgeron was fired despite being 22 games over .500 at LSU. How long would the Tigers' leash on Fisher be if he is the next hire and manages a similar start?

42 minutes ago, COTiger said:

The way the big "names" are falling I'm beginning to think it's Kiffen.

Then why hasn't he been announced?

What I mean is, logic says it's someone that's still coaching. I'm not talking about some bowl game. Conference championship weekend is still pending. Playoffs are pending. 

It's either someone from that pool or the NFL. Otherwise, they'd announce no later than tomorrow. 

Riley never wanted to be in the SEC. LSU never looked at Napier. I believe the tires were kicked on Riley early, then he used the smokescreen of a fanatical fanbase (LSU) making shyte up outta thin air to get it done with USC. 

Literally nobody in the media has a clue about Woodward's plan, options, etc. They prefer to use the "1st>right" strategy knowing there's no longer any accountability in journalism. 

And the fact is, Woodward has shut down access to his business. We should know that from the baseball search. 

O said last night the hire will be made known later this (coming) week or next. He may know something, but no more than a handful of people do.

This kind of search isn't good for the "instant access to info" generation in which we live. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, COTiger said:

You offered your opinion as did I.  That's what 90% of the posts on this and other boards offer.  Peoples opinions.

Not arguing. Just responding to your "ask Scott". Just discussion. 

Got to applaud USC for the masterful job... completely out of left field, got their guy.

Ok, Justin Vincent on "Hold the Rope"... radio show in Baton Rouge tonight. 

Says hire has been made, announcing Tuesday late or Wednesday. 

JV works for TAF, obviously former player but recently director of player personnel. 

Why Wednesday?

From another source...

1. Orgeron's current coaching agreement expires on Tuesday, November 30, 2021.

2. NCAA recruiting rules allows for only so many coaches to recruit off campus during certain contact periods. With stricter limitations on head coaches.

3. November 28 to December 12, 2021 is such a contact period as delineated in #2 above.

4. New hire at HC would not be allowed to recruit for LSU until the expiration of the agreement referenced in #1 above. Does #1 above state a specific time for expiration of same? Or a standard 12 midnight?

5. Earliest "Official" hire of a new head coach would be expiration of #1, so late Tuesday or Wednesday December 1, 2021.

6. New scholly offers have been going out to 2022 class prospect intimating that a new coach has reached an agreement in principle to become LSU head coach.

15 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

My opinion. Deals done. 
Did you like the last two hires? Kim and Jay. 

Agree... said that the last couple podcasts. The guy's out duck hunting with Clyde and others. His job is done and will be announced when it can be. 

People need to chill and stay off droppings lol.  And droppings rejects need to stay off 247!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Herb said:

I am not concerned one iota as to who the next LSU head coach will be.

If its Matt Cambell, great. If it is Lincoln Riley, great. If it is Mark Stoops, great.If it is Lane Kiffin, great. If it is Jimbo, great. If it is nobody on anyone's "candidate list", great.  If it is a complete unknown, great.

I trust in Woodward and I trust in LSU the institution. Whoever we hire, will win at least one National Championship within 5 years because that is what we do.

Everyone is way too fixated on the Woodward "swing for the fences" thing to the point that they narrow down who LSU's next hire will be to a very finite and small list of candidates (who happen to be the same list of people written about for every open NCAA head coach position). 

The only thing LSU needs is a hire who is organized and competent to be the adult decision maker in the room instead of the guy who is the best buddy of every player on the team and who is joining them in chasing coeds. That is not to say that the guy needs to be an excellent coach because he definitely needs to be that as well.

The good news is that there is an army of excellent football coaches in the world who can excel as head coach of the LSU Tigers. 

We just may not be contemplating a lot of those guys because they are not the same 5-7 people every sportswriter is pimping as a result of 'sportswriter group think'.

As much as Woodward has built a reputation as a "swing for the fences" guy, he is - more importantly - a competent AD who will make the best hire for the program.

I'm looking forward to being surprised and enjoying the meltdown on other discussion boards. Above all, I'm looking forward to our next National Championship coach.

i’m gonna be PISSED if it’s a Mark Stoops level hire. 

And maybe worse if it’s O’Brien. 

4 hours ago, LSUDad said:

And Orgeron was fired despite being 22 games over .500 at LSU. How long would the Tigers' leash on Fisher be if he is the next hire and manages a similar start?

sentences like this irritate the hell out of me. 

let’s say you let someone drive your car. 
they’re driving  from New Orleans to Houston. 

NOLA to Lake Chuck, everything is smooth. getting great fuel mileage, no traffic. A dream trip. 

Then they rub the railing the entire length of the I-10 bridge over the lake. About at the peak he even switches lanes to scrape up the other side. 
When he gets to Beaumont, he now heading West in the East Bound lane. Goes through a ditch, rolls it 4 times. 

He shows up to Houston in a car that resembles Buford T Justice’s police cruiser at the end of the first Smokey and The Bandit. 

You gonna keep letting him borrow vehicles because of how good he was doing when passing through Lafayette??

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

i’m gonna be PISSED if it’s a Mark Stoops level hire. 

more on this one. 

Stoops has been at KY since Mettenberger was here. 

this is his 2nd winning season in conference. 

yeah it’s Kentucky, but they’re in the East.

Vandy sucks monkey ass every year
Tennessee has been liquid whoreshit his entire tenure there  
South Carolina on occasionally has had a pulse in that span 
Florida has had a pair of 4 win seasons during that stretch.

if EVER there was a time frame for Kentucky to rise above the trash pile in football, it was the last 9 years or so. 

13 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

And maybe worse if it’s O’Brien. 

there’s probably a reason the person pushing this one the hardest in the media is a Gumps grad. 

• Like 2