Gameday Tigers

LSU vs FU

Nutriaitch

Well that was an interesting game!  Best game of the year.  The defense still needs work, but considering all the players that are out, those that had to step up really did.  The last 3 good signing classes helped, so when starters went down with injury there is a quality athlete to step in.

We heard about changes to the offense, the jumbo package with a guard playing tight end when the want to run for short yardage.  That worked.  The young receivers and not as good as Boutte, but they are not that far below his level either.  They will get better.

I watched every minute of the game, and I enjoyed every minute.  I see why Damone Clark wears #18, he's always trying hard.  Our good depth of DT's serves us well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

if you end up in section 305, let me know. 

I was in section 420 South End, sitting with Chico Gonzales, Jr. His Dad coached at Redemptorist and Glen Oaks, was a RB before Cannon. I ended up with friends at CC of La. 

Then a couple of my friends were playing music at Sullivan’s. Jeff Bajon and Natalie Overall. 

945DAF3D-6E5E-4874-A872-AF90737031D3.thumb.jpeg.c467dac689cc5c7d833a259287467f1f.jpeg

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 2

Great win!  I have some thoughts I want to express and see what y'all think.

The players meeting seemed to spark something which is great.  Last year we had people quitting on the team using Covid as the excuse.  Now there are fans saying that is happening again with some of the starters going out.  My argument to them was you aren't going to find a surgeon who will operate if it wasn't an injury to fix.  Does anyone here think some of the injuries were not necessary for surgeries and to stop playing?  That makes zero sense to me.  Hell, Boutte was on the sidelines on crutches.  We have some idiot fans.

Does O actually coach or does he leave it to the coordinators.  I never see him doing anything but watching the game.  Most other coaches have a clipboard in their hands and look like they are evaluating things.  Its seems weird to me that he doesn't seem to do anything.  I know he has the headset and I know he has meddled in play calls before.  Maybe since we are so down on him, I am just looking to criticize but it seems strange to me.

I got Les Miles vibes from that game yesterday in terms of the defense winning games again. Our offense struggles.  I have heard y'all mention Max doesn't seem to have all the fundamentals or at least isn't using them.  Who is supposed to be teaching him and why haven't they?  Do we still not have anyone who knows how to develop a QB?  QB seems to be our Achilles heel.  It seems the ones we succeed with came from elsewhere.

Defense played lights out I feel.  I love BJ Ojalari!  That kid seems hungry.  There was a period where they weren't as successful but I feel they were getting tired as we had several 3 and outs on offense, but I feel they won the game for us as I stated earlier.  If we had not gotten the pastries, we would not have won that game.

Penalties.  They killed some great plays.  But the thing that pissed me off was that the most penalized team in the conference didnt get a single one and they were holding and taunting and never got called.  At one point I thought the refs also wanted O gone as they were trying to have us lose the game.

It was interesting to see us return some of the kicks that we haven't done much.  Felt bad for Atkins with that wind reducing his yardage.  

Overall, I am really happy for the win and hope we continue to win.  I will be honest, I wasn't expecting us to win another SEC game this year.  Really glad we won this one tho. 

Geaux Tigers!

• Like 2

Good post Dachs.  I agree with your first point, I don't think players are quitting on the team, getting operated on so they don't have to finish the season, and yes, we have some idiot fans.  The announcers said one of the leaders that called the players only meeting was Andre Anthony, who is out for the rest of the season (his last), and he is still working for the good of the team.  They also mentioned Damone Clark who wears #18.  And I saw Stingley and Ricks on the sideline also, Sting was on crutches.

Play by play I think O leaves the play calling to his coordinators.  But decisions about whether to go for it on fourth down, or to go for one or two points after a TD, O would call what to do, but not the actual play.  Dan Mullen was an OC and he's very involved in the Fla. offense, but I don't know if he call's the plays, he has an OC.  Dabo Swinney was never a coordinator and he doesn't call the plays.  Both models can work.  O won a natty not calling the plays.  The problem this year is we have two coordinators who have not been coordinators before.  Then the model doesn't work as well.

As far as QB development, there is watching film and study, the brain part, and there is playing the game and gaining game experience.  A coach can teach the brain part, but he can't teach the game experience part, you have to play the game to get experience.  That is why Senior QB's usually look better than they did when they were freshmen or sophomores.  Some of it is up to native talent, your speed, agility, arm strength, vision, height to see over the linemen.  So, a certain soph like Bryce Young at Gumps, who was the #1 QB recruit two years ago, may play better as a soph than a less talented Sr., but even Bryce Young will play better as a Sr. than as a soph, because he will have gained the in-game experience.  Some things you can't rush, it takes time.  Of course in Bryce Young's case, it helps to play behind an o-line of all five stars recruits, with a top wide receiver corp and top running backs.

49 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Great win!  I have some thoughts I want to express and see what y'all think.

The players meeting seemed to spark something which is great.  Last year we had people quitting on the team using Covid as the excuse.  Now there are fans saying that is happening again with some of the starters going out.  My argument to them was you aren't going to find a surgeon who will operate if it wasn't an injury to fix.  Does anyone here think some of the injuries were not necessary for surgeries and to stop playing?  That makes zero sense to me.  Hell, Boutte was on the sidelines on crutches.  We have some idiot fans.

Does O actually coach or does he leave it to the coordinators.  I never see him doing anything but watching the game.  Most other coaches have a clipboard in their hands and look like they are evaluating things.  Its seems weird to me that he doesn't seem to do anything.  I know he has the headset and I know he has meddled in play calls before.  Maybe since we are so down on him, I am just looking to criticize but it seems strange to me.

I got Les Miles vibes from that game yesterday in terms of the defense winning games again. Our offense struggles.  I have heard y'all mention Max doesn't seem to have all the fundamentals or at least isn't using them.  Who is supposed to be teaching him and why haven't they?  Do we still not have anyone who knows how to develop a QB?  QB seems to be our Achilles heel.  It seems the ones we succeed with came from elsewhere.

Defense played lights out I feel.  I love BJ Ojalari!  That kid seems hungry.  There was a period where they weren't as successful but I feel they were getting tired as we had several 3 and outs on offense, but I feel they won the game for us as I stated earlier.  If we had not gotten the pastries, we would not have won that game.

Penalties.  They killed some great plays.  But the thing that pissed me off was that the most penalized team in the conference didnt get a single one and they were holding and taunting and never got called.  At one point I thought the refs also wanted O gone as they were trying to have us lose the game.

It was interesting to see us return some of the kicks that we haven't done much.  Felt bad for Atkins with that wind reducing his yardage.  

Overall, I am really happy for the win and hope we continue to win.  I will be honest, I wasn't expecting us to win another SEC game this year.  Really glad we won this one tho. 

Geaux Tigers!

You lost me at "defense played lights out" and "defense winning games again".

We gave up 42 points!!

Offense set a rushing record and scored 42 points. 

That's a lot to unpack Dachsie.  :LSU:

Yesterday, it was the offense that won the game and specifically the running game. This is counter to everyone's desire to have LSU be like 2019 every year with a "Joe Brady" offense. To heck with that.

What we need is to have an offense that is effective against whatever the opponent provides. That could be total run domination (like yesterday), an air show, or a balance.

The reason the Defense was effective untill the end of the game is because our running offense allowed them to rest up.

Max Johnson is who he is. I personally think he has trouble throwing to the right side of the field as a left-handed QB.  That is where I see his mechanics flawed most often. Part of that is that he has had no time to set up, but if you look at his over the shoulder arm motion when he throws to the right, it just looks fugly at times.

The players generally look towards their head coach and the staff to be the 'adults in the room'. At some point in time, they see O for who he is and if you harken back to high school when a substitute teacher was in: the kids are going to push the envelope. That is what we had for the first 5 games: lack of leadership and kids not having expections set for them to produce.

Add in that you have some players only thinking about only putting in their time at LSU before they get drafted into the NFL (their lifelong dream) instead of playing lights out each and every game.

The players only meeting was a sign that certain players decided they needed to step up and be the adults in the room in the vacuum of the coaches either not providing that role or - more likely - not being seen in the eyes of the players as being who they thought they were signing up to play under during recruitment. 

Orgeron has a talent for building rapport with recruits on a player to player level. In the corporate world, one of the worst kind of managers you can have is a manager who treats the people they manage as a peer or buddy. I think Orgeron might not be able to rise above the peer/buddy relationship in order manage these players effectively.

I think that is a good observation and I don't know the answer to that.

I did not see the entire game, but I don't recall a lot of penalties being called on LSU . Looking at the stats we had 5 penalties for 45 yards.  That is not a whole lot. Looks like the officials tried to not interfere with the game by micromanaging through penalties.  I don't think it had a significant outcome on the game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fishhead said:

You lost me at "defense played lights out" and "defense winning games again".

We gave up 42 points!!

Offense set a rushing record and scored 42 points. 

They did play lights out except for that stretch that I mentioned where they were tiring and FL started scoring.  And if the defense hadn't gotten to 4 interceptions, we would have lost the game.  Defense won it for us.

I really thought you would converse about the points I was making.  I respect your opinion.

4 hours ago, Herb said:

That's a lot to unpack Dachsie.  :LSU:

I did not see the entire game, but I don't recall a lot of penalties being called on LSU . Looking at the stats we had 5 penalties for 45 yards.  That is not a whole lot. Looks like the officials tried to not interfere with the game by micromanaging through penalties.  I don't think it had a significant outcome on the game.

We got some holding penalties called on us that negated some huge gains and maybe even a TD - cant remember that for sure.

7 minutes ago, dachsie said:

They did play lights out except for that stretch that I mentioned where they were tiring and FL started scoring.  And if the defense hadn't gotten to 4 interceptions, we would have lost the game.  Defense won it for us.

I really thought you would converse about the points I was making.  I respect your opinion.

The way we ran the ball, no reason for them to bre tiring. Time of possession was nearly identical...8 seconds more for FU.

They made big plays and took advantage of UFs mistakes. They didn't play well overall. Again, not like Florida caught up late. The defense wasn't tired. 

My concern about your post is it negates an excellent offensive performance saying the defense won the game. No way 

Yes, the offense played well.  TDP was awesome.  There was a point in the game that I had the thoughts I listed above - probably when we were going 3 and out a lot.  

The defense made plays when they needed to I guess.  If I think about the whole game, there were good moments and bad moments for both offense and defense.

But I still say if we had not gotten the 4 interceptions, we would not have won the game.  Maybe the poor defensive play would have allowed FL to score without those interceptions.  

So I guess they both help us win the game.

ETA:  Please don't dismiss what I say, just try to bring me around to your side.  I readily admit I am not as up on things as you all are.  🙂

Edited by dachsie

5 hours ago, dachsie said:

ETA:  Please don't dismiss what I say, just try to bring me around to your side.  I readily admit I am not as up on things as you all are.  🙂

Don't down play your knowledge.  You're a genius compared to some posters on other boards.

• Like 3