Gameday Tigers

What LSU assistant coaches would you retain?

houtiger

And why?

Does anyone want to get rid of Corey Raymond?  I don't.  He has recruited well, well better than "well", let's say outstanding.  And he coaches the kids up.  Evans, the kid from Nichols, is playing a LOT better this year than last year.  His secondary is playing well this year, considering the starters that are not on the field.

DBU may have started many years ago with Ron Cooper as secondary coach, but Corey Raymond has kept it going longer.

Edited by houtiger

I guess it depends on who the HC is that likely will be announced at a presser on November 29th. The incoming coach will likely keep Raymond.

I like Faulk as a player and as someone who is a Tiger through and through, but I don't think he has had a chance to be properly evaluated as a running back coach under the "Joe Brady and his shadow" era that Ogreon and fans have been enamored with. Under Miles, Faulk likely would have been a very good RB Coach.

I think Daronte Jones is a really good coach and his defense is starting to gel. However, if Raymond is retained and Jones is not kept as DC, he's likely gone since his specialty is the defensive secondary.

Mickey Joseph has been an excellent WR coach and I hope the incoming coach keeps him. Under his tutelage, we've had Chase, Jefferson, Chark, Marshall, Kirklin, Boutte , Bech, and others play at a very high level. 

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

And why?

Does anyone want to get rid of Corey Raymond?  I don't.  He has recruited well, well better than "well", let's say outstanding.  And he coaches the kids up.  Evans, the kid from Nichols, is playing a LOT better this year than last year.  His secondary is playing well this year, considering the starters that are not on the field.

i would love to keep Corey. 

HOWEVER, new guys gets full autonomy of staff. That’s the only way this works. 

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

DBU may have started many years ago with Ron Cooper as secondary coach, but Corey Raymond has kept it going longer.

it started before that even. 

Guys like Mark Roman, Tory James, Corey Webster and LaRon Landry etc. were long gone by the time cooper got here. 

7 minutes ago, Herb said:

I like Faulk as a player and as someone who is a Tiger through and through, but I don't think he has had a chance to be properly evaluated as a running back coach under the "Joe Brady and his shadow" era that Ogreon and fans have been enamored with. Under Miles, Faulk likely would have been a very good RB Coach.

i would need to know the dynamics of the job under O.

I know when Les was here, position coaches were responsible for the rotation f players at that position.  Meaning Faulk would have been in charge of who started, who subbed in, when, etc. 

That rotation has gotten better the last couple weeks. But for first season and a half the Faulk had the job, let's just say it wasn't good. AT ALL.

But i don't know for sure if O uses that same philosophy as far as position groups and rotation.

7 minutes ago, Herb said:

I think Daronte Jones is a really good coach and his defense is starting to gel. However, if Raymond is retained and Jones is not kept as DC, he's likely gone since his specialty is the defensive secondary.

I would love to know if the 3 man front and plenty of blitzes of the last 2 weeks was DJ's idea (that's my guess) or not.

6 hours ago, Herb said:

Mickey Joseph has been an excellent WR coach and I hope the incoming coach keeps him. Under his tutelage, we've had Chase, Jefferson, Chark, Marshall, Kirklin, Boutte , Bech, and others play at a very high level. 

LSU has had an embarrassment of riches at the WR position.  I think Joe Brady did a lot of work with the receivers in 2019 and he helped a lot.  But the case is there to keep Mickey.

Mickey Joseph went to Archbishop Shaw in NO, and he is supposed to have the connections to the high school coaches in NO.  That was a pipeline LSU sought to improve and I think Mickey got the job done.  But, Corey Raymond is listed as the recruiting coordinator.

6 hours ago, houtiger said:

But, Corey Raymond is listed as the recruiting coordinator.

Yeah, my comments were more speaking about the coaching aspects of his position and not recruiting. As I understand he's a good recruiter but might not (yet) be at the level of a Frank Wilson.

7 hours ago, Herb said:

Yeah, my comments were more speaking about the coaching aspects of his position and not recruiting. As I understand he's a good recruiter but might not (yet) be at the level of a Frank Wilson.

Not many came to offer Frank jobs, not near as many as Raymond. Corey is well known and respected by his peers. Not to slight Frank in any way. Put it this way, if Corey is not retained, he won’t be out of a job long. Just long enough for his agent to get the paperwork together. 

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Not many came to offer Frank jobs, not near as many as Raymond. Corey is well known and respected by his peers. Not to slight Frank in any way. Put it this way, if Corey is not retained, he won’t be out of a job long. Just long enough for his agent to get the paperwork together. 

Except Wilson was hired as Head Coach for both University of Texas San Antonio and is now HC at McNeese State.

• Like 1

Of course it depends on who we hire, and how much of his staff he wants to bring with him, and if they want to move. 

I think Daronte Jones is gone.  Not a bad coach by any means, but not enough experience at this level.  We know Peetz is gone.

Andre Carter and Blake Baker, DL and LB.  They look like good coaches, could just get caught in the crossfire. 

Kevin Faulk, probably gone.

On 11/18/2021 at 5:44 AM, Herb said:

Mickey = Frank in recruiting and is an excellent WR coach.  And Corey is Corey.  

That said, it COMPLETELY depends on who's hired.  If they know and like working with other WR/DB coaches, they may not retain anyone on staff.  But if they know Mickey and Corey, even others on staff, they may keep some of the current assistants.  

If it was ME personally, I'd keep Corey, Mickey, McMahon (maybe, kickers are good, but returns, not so much), and maybe Blake Baker.  LB play has improved IMO more than ANY group this season.

• Like 1

Remember when the short guy came in, 2000. He retained Mike Haywood, hired two guys that had South/SEC ties, Jimbo and Derek Dooley. 4 from that first staff, never made a second year at LSU. Much of nicks staff stayed with Bobby Williams at Mich St. All during the time here, Nick had a good turnover. 

Les kept Jimbo, having never really fired anyone, just kind of suggested for them to look elsewhere for a new job. 

I think everyone has heard my Jimbo, Nick story when they were hiring a OL Coach. I told someone in the media, he asked Nick, then somewhat hell broke loose. My mistake. 

Cinco Ranch up 24-0 at half. Nice game on both sides of the ball for Cinco.