Gameday Tigers

The Official Brian Kelly Thread

Herb

• Herb changed the title to The (Almost) Official Brian Kelly Thread

Did Woody land a big one? I’d say yes. Not like when we got Paul from ND. Some might say, is he a good fit? Some said the same thing about nick. Who would ever think, LSU would steal a ND coach. 

Anyone remember a guy named George O'Leary, hired by ND, then fired by ND. He had lied on his resume. I happen to call a friend of mine in the coaching business, the day of O’Leary’s firing, he was at a major college, I asked what he was doing. His reply, “Like everyone else, redoing my resume!” He said, he didn’t want to get a dream job, only to have his legs cut out, for something on his resume. 
So all these coaches were getting in touch with former schools, getting paperwork faxed in. Making sure, dates and times matched. 

Back to the hire, I want to see coaches, who fills his staff. Some talk, Raymond and Faulk stay. Who comes with him? Who does he hire outside the LSU and ND staffs? 

Can he win a NC, look no further than the last three guys. Remember this, you are limited at ND, he wasn’t pulling in a ton of 5* players. Looking back, most years, they have one 5* guy, some years, none. One thing he always had, OL. Something we have been lacking for years. I looked at his verbals for this years class at ND. Wonder if he gets a few of them? He will get to sign a full class, added with 7 more. The transfer portal with be used, big time. 

Is this hire along the lines of Kim and Jay Johnson? Who thought an LSU AD could get the coach from ND? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, COTiger said:

I wonder if Kelly was Scott's first choice from day one?  I doubt that we'll ever know with 100% accuracy.

I would guess that he had a group of choices initially that he narrowed down and zero'd in on Kelly.

The one thing that I do believe is that this was not a case where Woodward had selected Riley as his choice, was in the middle of negotiations, "got played", then had to "scramble" to pull Kelly out of the hat.  That narrative is utter bullshit but I have read a few stories where that is being put forth.

Personally, I think this is a great hire.

Was it the perfect hire? I don't think there is such a thing.

I do think Kelly will bring much needed discipline to this team, which we really have not had since Saban left. 

• Herb pinned this topic

LSU football: Brian Kelly stuns college football by reportedly leaving Notre Dame

ByAUSTIN NIVISON 14 hours ago

Billy Napier provides an immediate boost to Florida recruiting

recpod-11-29-thumb-00000.png

College football's coaching carousel is spinning at sonic speeds right now, and the latest move has stunned the sport. Brian Kelly is reportedly leaving Notre Dame to accept the head coaching position at LSU.

After coming over from Cincinnati, Kelly took Notre Dame to new heights. Kelly took the Fighting Irish to a BCS National Championship, and coached them to two College Football Playoff appearances.

All that success is part of what makes this move a surprise to some within the sport. Having said that, none of those postseason appearances resulted in national titles for Notre Dame. The chance to win a national championship may have spurred Kelly to Baton Rouge.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

When this massive news broke, the college football media debated what it meant for LSU, Notre Dame, and Kelly himself.

BIG-LEAGUE HIRE FOR LSU

Kelly has proven throughout his career that he can win big, and that makes this a huge hire for LSU. Three coaches have won championships there in recent history, and Kelly is definitely capable of that.

Kelly was able to get Notre Dame to a level at which it was competing for national championships. That's not the easiest thing to do in college football, and the ceiling seems higher at LSU.

After Florida and USC made some impressive hires of their own, all eyes turned to LSU, and athletic director Scott Woodward delivered with a brand name hire.

Riley was rumored to be a candidate for the LSU job, but he obviously left Oklahoma for USC instead. Woodward responded by getting another one of the game's most accomplished coaches.

WHY DID KELLY MAKE THE MOVE?

Notre Dame is one of college football's most well-known brands, but recruiting elite talent is probably a little simpler at LSU. Kelly could get over the national title hump in Baton Rouge.

Notre Dame has suffered some big losses in the College Football Playoff over the last few years, and Kelly might want to see if he can produce a different outcome with the Tigers.

The SEC is a tough place to win, and Kelly will face a lot of scrutiny if he doesn't. Kelly seemed like a good fit in South Bend, and pressure cooker in Baton Rouge can be hard on coaches.

• Like 1

Report from the Athletic.........

"LSU is targeting Notre Dame defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman for the same position, according to a report from The Athletic's Pete Sampson on Tuesday. Freeman was pursued by former LSU head coach Ed Orgeron last offseason, but ultimately landed in South Bend under now LSU head coach Brian Kelly. Sources confirmed to Geaux247's Shea Dixon that LSU is targeting Freeman for the role."

"Source: LSU head coach Brian Kelly reached out to Notre Dame defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman on Monday in an effort to bring him to Baton Rouge," Sampson said in his tweet. "Kelly would intend to make Freeman the highest paid defensive coordinator in college football."

Not sure how this would work considering he'll be in serious contention to replace Kelly as ND HC.  But if we can get him, yes please.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, COTiger said:

How in the hell did they get Kelly in all of that LSU apparel & in the LSU locker room in a couple of hours?

That's probably proof that this was in the works and a done deal well ahead of the announcement (and a combination of really good video editing/special effects).

• Like 2

If you have 25 minutes, T-Bob and Jacob Hester discuss the hiring of Kelly.  They make some very good points.  You'll come away respecting CBK.

I have read today that ND balked at Kelly's requests to improve the football facilities.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

All that remains to be seen is can he only drop 2 games a year when he has to face Miss. St., Auburn, Fla., Gumps, Ole Miss, Arky, and aTm each year, many back to back to back, along with another SEC East opponent.

But, if he recruits well, he should have better talent than at ND, year in and year out.  If he can just keep that fence around La. ............

4 minutes ago, Herb said:

And his 1st task is hopefully securing...

https://www.americanpress.com/2021/11/06/beware-of-dog-etienne-scores-six-tds/

(I know there are better running backs out there...kind of a pride thing.)

We really don't need to take two RBs this season, but with Citizen decommitting, Etienne might BECOME a take.  
Personally I think we wind up with Citizen and the kid from a couple years back that wound up at GTech, he's in the portal.  I'd jump all over that kid.  Gibbs maybe?  

• Like 1

• Fishhead changed the title to The Official Brian Kelly Thread

Will Wade's reaction to the Brian Kelly hire:

“My brother (Jay) went to Notre Dame is a huge fan. He called me last night and he was not happy, so I took that as a good sign. … He’s going to win. He’s won everywhere he’s been. Now you’re putting him at a place with unlimited resources,” Wade said, per Scott Rabalais.