Gameday Tigers

The Official Brian Kelly Thread

Herb

He sounds smarter than O, and smarter than Les.  I like this guy.  He has an edge to him, but Nick has an edge to him also. 

One think I wonder about, BK talks about holding people accountable.  I wonder how he will do that?  Under Les, we saw Moffitt post a sign on his door about players that owed him workouts.  But they played on Saturday.  I wonder how BK will handle the situation differently?  Would a player not start and be held out a quarter?

We hear the team needs greater discipline.  I am sure BK will keep it in-house and we won't hear about it, but it will be interesting to see if we can tell what is going on?

I hear some analysts criticize BK for trying too hard to fit in in La. by faking an accent.

Give me an effing break!

That is the most stupid comment I've heard in a while.  BK does not have to fake an accent.  I saw his comments, the first time I didn't notice anything. 

They should fire the analyst for making a mountain out of a mole hill, for wasting listeners time.

16 hours ago, houtiger said:

I hear some analysts criticize BK for trying too hard to fit in in La. by faking an accent.

Give me an effing break!

That is the most stupid comment I've heard in a while.  BK does not have to fake an accent.  I saw his comments, the first time I didn't notice anything. 

They should fire the analyst for making a mountain out of a mole hill, for wasting listeners time.

The 'Notre Dame Nation' wields a lot of influence in the media and has a lot of former players in very visible positions in the sports reporting industry. ND has an exclusive, mind boggling contract with NBC where EVERY Notre Dame football game is broadcast nationally and you can probably name about 5 former Notre Dame players on ESPN without even trying.

They are extremely upset that Brian Kelly left Notre Dame and they are all on a full court press to denigrate Kelly at every turn.

This exposes to me just how petty and immature the 'Notre Dame Nation' is. How dare Kelly leave Notre Dame and go coach for 'those people'?  This particular story is dripping with classism and possible racism.

But this isn't the only example.

Before Kelly decided to take the LSU job,  fans of Notre Dame's program regarded him as a great coach and person to the point that he was almost unimpeachable (but then he decided to leave).

Now you have former players like Brady Quinn and other decrying what a bad person Kelly is for "the way" he left Notre Dame - the issue with the people is actually that "he left" Notre Dame. The manner has zero to do with it, but they have to bend over backwards to make it look bad.

Others are joining in the media 'group think' here: looks at Kirk Herbstreit's comments on College Gameday this weekend. He took exception with "how"Kelly left and suggested what he thought Kelly should have done sequentially. Note that no other coach taking a better job does what Herbstreit thinks Kelly should have done and I am guessing if pressed he would not be able to find an example (this is - of course - and industry that has zero concept of a 'notice period').

Lou Holtz is out their denigrating Kelly as being 'not that good of a coach' in his estimation because Kelly does not have a string of significant wins under his belt (never mind that Kelly surpassed Holtz in the books and 'significant wins' are a very subjective  thing).

Pretty much the entire media is in the 'let's crap on Kelly's reputation' right now becuse he dared to walk away from the 'storied Notre Dame program'.

The same standards do not apply in the minds of these sports writers when they look at Lincoln Riley, Billy Napier, Mario Cristobal, and others that are taking tier 1 coaching jobs.

I like to contrast the way the media handles Riley going to USC with Kelly coming to LSU. 'OMG - what a great move USC did in hiring Riley'. 'Riley was an A+ hire'.

Riley didn't meet or contact his players, he just hopped on a plane at 4:30 AM with his family to go look at the new $6+ million mansion that USC bought Riley and his family. On top of that it has been reported that USC agreed to purchase both of Riley's homes in Oklahoma for $500,000 OVER appraised value - giving Riley a quick extra $1 million.

These details are being reported as a great move by USC and Riley.

I have not seen a single story noting the deep irony here.

You may recall what got USC under investigation and ultimately led to sanctions and penalties against USC and what triggered Pete Carrol to jump ship before the didley-poo hit the fan: USC boosters improperly set up Reggie Bush and his family with a mansion in Los Angeles.

Using real estate to get people to go to USC is what USC does.

Meanwhile, if you read the (local to ND) coverage of the details of Kelly's contract the gist is that these contracts have gotten out of hand. Bad LSU, Bad Kelly; Good USC, Good Riley.

I hope at some point, Kelly gets pissed off and decides to pull a Lincoln Riley and start going after Notre Dame's recruiting class.

To his credit, Kelly publicly announced that his focus will be on solidifying the LSU recruiting class and not targeting Notre Dame commits. This is - in my opinion - a very honorable move by Kelly.

As was the fact that Kelly was still recruiting for Notre Dame literally up to the 11th hour before the news broke he was coming to LSU.

Yet stories came out over the weekend that Kelly lied to the recruit he had just visited to try to seal the deal for that kid going to Notre Dame. WTF?

He was still working for his then current employer and giving that employer everything he had up until he accepted the job at LSU, yet somehow he is a bad person for doing that.

I don't think Notre Dame would be wise to keep trying to crap on Kelly's reputation as a coach and a man.  Do they really want a pissed off Kelly having enough and deciding to be more like the media darling Lincoln Riley? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Herb said:

Now you have former players like Brady Quinn and other decrying what a bad person Kelly is for "the way" he left Notre Dame - the issue with the people is actually that "he left" Notre Dame. The manner has zero to do with it, but they have to bend over backwards to make it look bad.

Others are joining in the media 'group think' here: looks at Kirk Herbstreit's comments on College Gameday this weekend. He took exception with "how" Kelly left and suggested what he thought Kelly should have done sequentially. Note that no other coach taking a better job does what Herbstreit thinks Kelly should have done and I am guessing if pressed he would not be able to find an example (this is - of course - an industry that has zero concept of a 'notice period').

As far as "the way" a head coach leaves for another coaching job in college, as far as I know, there is NO GOOD WAY.

The regular season is coming to an end, and that is when the coaches move, at the end of the regular season.  You want those coaches in place, especially the head coach, so you can sign in the early signing period in mid December.  If you don't get your head coach early, like the Monday after the season ends, you will be picking seconds.  Woodward knew this, so he let O go mid season so he could start his search.

I don't care what anyone says, Kelly was in on the deal before the Sunday after the last regular season game.  He said his agent had fielded calls from several schools, but the agent did not present them to Kelly until the season ended.  That's BS.  I think there is some supposed protocol among universities not to meddle with their staff during the season.  It is to the coaches advantage not to leak it before the season is over, so the players remain motivated.

So, when the deal is done, they tell some odd sounding unbelievable stories to cover up the truth.

They do it the way they have to do it, given how the season falls, and they say the things they have to say to protect the motivation of the team they are currently coaching.  There is a period where they have to lie, given that leaks are bound to occur when you don't want them to.  That's ok with me.  Yes you feel jilted when your coach leaves, but its what coaches do, they get fired or the quit for another job.  There are not many Bobby Bowden's or Joe Paterno's out there that retire at a school after a long tenure.

Grow up folks.  This is big business.

• Like 2

A good read! 

First and 10: Joke all you want about that accent. Brian Kelly sounds like a championship lock at LSU

Matt Hayes | 4 days ago

1. I don’t want to get on a soapbox, but …

Here we are, in the middle of another unhinged wash cycle of social media, and we’ve zeroed in on a contrived southern accent.

Instead of the fact that LSU has a true-blue ball coach for the first time since Nick Saban.

Let that sink in for a moment.

While keyboard heroes on social media mock Brian Kelly for a faux accent (granted, it was awful), while they scoff at his 3-minute goodbye to his Notre Dame team (there’s no good way to do it), while he has suddenly become the guy who – take your pick – can’t recruit, was a tyrant coach whose assistants hated him and he underachieved at Notre Dame, guess who wins in this follow the idiot social media narrative dump?

LSU.

The program with as many inherent advantages as any program in college football just got a coach who has won big everywhere he has been – despite inherent obstacles he couldn’t avoid at every single stop.

Including Notre Dame.

Kelly won national titles (that’s plural) in the NCAA lower divisions at Grand Valley State, when he would line the field before practice.

He won a conference championship at Central Michigan, in a conference (MAC) that spends so little on football (and coaches), there’s a history of head coaches leaving for coordinator or position jobs at other schools to make more money and be in better professional situations.

He won a BCS conference championship at Cincinnati (the Big East), setting a school record for wins (12, just broken this season at 13) and completing the first unbeaten regular season in school history (tied this season). Much has changed since Kelly coached Cincinnati, including a significant upgrade in facilities and money spent on the program.

And Kelly won big at Notre Dame, the toughest job in college football. With 113 wins in 12 years, he’s the all-time winningest coach at the storied program. He won 54 games in the past 5 years and led the Irish to 2 College Football Playoff appearances in the past 4 years.

He had to beg for artificial turf at Notre Dame Stadium. Beg for a replay board. Both were near mortal sins at Notre Dame, which places tradition above all else.

In the age of posh standalone football facilities at most Power 5 programs, the football program at Notre Dame shares an outdated facility with all sports.

Five years ago, I was in South Bend for a story I was working on about Kelly reinventing himself after a 4-8 season — another social media-induced panic attack; he didn’t reinvent anything, he just got better — and we spoke in his office about how the Notre Dame job wears on coaches. So many outside influences, so many people who should have no control or input over football, yet have the ability to find a way to exert influence.

In this era of high school recruits arriving for recruiting visits and seeing multimillion-dollar facilities, and huge dining halls with personal chefs and sports nutritionists, we walked out of Kelly’s office and had to walk around a line of tables that were set up for training table dining.

Sterno fluid cans, and all — steps from the office of the head coach at Notre Dame. What kind of message do you think that sets?

“We’re working on it,” Kelly said then.

Guess what? It hasn’t changed since (though, to be fair, the ND administration is still “working on it”).

So the coach who has more career wins (284, including all divisions) than any active coach – and who did it in more difficult circumstances than anyone – gets a call from LSU athletic director Scott Woodward with an offer of a guaranteed deal that will pay him more than $10 million a season with bonuses.

He gets to coach at the top of his profession again (because that’s where Notre Dame is), he gets to do it in the best conference in college football, and he’s given every possible advantage at LSU that he never had in nearly three decades as a college coach.

Sure, just turn that down and wait for Notre Dame to work on it.

Turn that down and keep trying to break through and reach the CFP at a school whose very identity (an independent) is a significant hurdle in reaching the Playoff.

Turn that down for a conference that has placed 2 teams in a single Playoff season twice in 8 years (no other conference has), and for a conference that could place as many as 3 or 4 in the soon to be expanded Playoff.

And you’re laughing at Brian Kelly because he’s pandering to a home crowd with a manufactured southern accent?

They’ll be the same keyboard warriors who praise Kelly when LSU is 8-0 or 7-1 heading into a titanic game against 2-time defending national champion Alabama.

2. A change at the top

Even though other SEC West schools would like to think differently, all things being equal, the biggest obstacle to Alabama in the SEC West has always been LSU.

Even before Nick Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa in 2007, it was LSU. Not Auburn. Not Arkansas, not the Mississippis. And most recently, not Texas A&M.

Since Saban began his unthinkable run of success at Alabama, he has had to deal with two coaches at the one program with the money, facilities and investment in winning to match Alabama: Les Miles and Ed Orgeron.

Now he has to deal with Brian Kelly.

From two coaches high on recruiting and rhetoric to a genuine ball coach – a motivated megalomaniac (and I say that out of admiration) — and a threat to everything Alabama holds near and dear.

The two coaches before Kelly, the guys who recruited elite players inside the fertile state of Louisiana and nationally, who put together talented coaching staffs (at times) and won national titles, have been replaced by a coach who will do the same annually – with a detailed operational plan.

Miles won a national title in 2007 after a convergence of events in the final week of the regular season somehow got LSU in the BCS national title game after it lost (at home) to Arkansas 2 weeks earlier.

Orgeron won a national title in 2019 because he recruited so well (more on that later) and landed a transfer quarterback so talented (Joe Burrow), his team steamrolled everything in its path.

Neither won consistently at that level, and neither could consistently slay the Alabama beast (to be fair, who has?).

LSU now has something unique in Kelly, a wildly successful coach who has been waiting his entire professional life to have everything he could possibly want in a job – with no obstacles.

Except, that is, the one staring back at him from Tuscaloosa.

You want to know why none of Kelly’s assistants followed him from Notre Dame to LSU? The same reason none of Nick Saban’s assistants followed him from Michigan State to LSU.

Kelly, like Saban, demands perfection and refuses to settle for mediocrity. Saban’s favorite saying is mediocre people don’t like high achievers, and high achievers don’t like mediocre people.

Kelly is hard on his assistant coaches because little things become big things, and big things lose games.

Big things get you fired.

3. Talent wins games

Let’s not forget LSU played a majority of this season with significant injuries at quarterback, offensive line, defensive line and the secondary. And without the team’s No. 1 receiver, who was having the best season of any receiver in the SEC.

The Tigers also played with a bright, glorious fireball at head coach, who was quickly fading into oblivion.

Things, everyone, are about to get real.

It is here where we address Brian Kelly, the recruiter and talent developer. But before we go further, understand that there might be a handful of FBS programs (Stanford, Duke, Northwestern) with more stringent academic standards than Notre Dame.

Yet when Kelly told Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick he was leaving for LSU, the Irish had the No. 5 recruiting class in the nation, according to the 247Sports composite.

Ladies and gentlemen, let me be very clear on this one, critical point: Kelly will go from sipping through a recruiting straw at Notre Dame, to gulping through a firehose at LSU.

He can get anyone in school at LSU, and the footprint not only is similar to Notre Dame (LSU can recruit nationally, too), it has a stronger foothold in the South – where a majority of the elite high school players are.

Kelly will go from an average recruiting ranking of No. 13 in the nation over the previous 4 seasons – with the inherent obstacles of recruiting to a school with high academic standards and without a conference affiliation – to recruiting to the 16-team SEC in a footprint that includes some of most fertile states in the nation.

Meanwhile, he inherits a roster built with 3 straight top-5 recruiting classes. LSU is currently 15th in the 247Sports composite despite 2 months of turmoil, and Kelly has 2 weeks to improve it.

As Championship Weekend wound down, one television bobblehead actually said Notre Dame got, “younger and cooler” when Marcus Freeman replaced the 60-year-old Kelly.

OK, LSU got stronger and smarter. And will get better, quickly.

“He’s not here to simply fit into our culture,” Woodward said during the introductory press conference. “He’s here to transform it.”

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/20/sports/how-brian-kellys-path-top-college-football-began-assumption-college-worcester/

At LSU, Mass. native Brian Kelly has reached the top of college football. The journey started as a softball coach at Assumption

By Julian McWilliams Globe Staff,Updated December 21, 2021, 10:52 a.m.
At Notre Dame, Brian Kelly led the Irish to an overall record of 113-40.
At Notre Dame, Brian Kelly led the Irish to an overall record of 113-40.EZRA SHAW/GETTY

Tony Gannon knows what it was like to be around Brian Kelly. How Kelly’s vision for himself was always greater than his circumstances.

Kelly and Gannon were new to the coaching game at Assumption College back in 1983. Kelly had played football there, while Gannon played at nearby Worcester State.

They knew each other in passing, but it wasn’t until Kelly, who was born in Everett and raised in Chelsea, and Gannon stepped into coaching roles at Assumption that Gannon realized he wasn’t rubbing shoulders with just another guy.

“I remember him and I going out for beers all the time like it was yesterday,” Gannon said during a recent telephone conversation from his home in Clinton, where he was a 30-plus year educator, coach, and athletic director. “His goal was to become a college football coach. And he’s done it.”

Kelly has done it, and then some. He recently accepted the head job at LSU, agreeing to a 10-year, $95 million contract, making him one of college football’s highest-paid coaches. That was after coaching Notre Dame from 2010-21. Before that, it was the University of Cincinnati. His path also had stops at Central Michigan and Grand Valley State. He even was the freshman girls’ basketball coach in Clinton. Yet the foundation of his journey is embedded at Assumption, where Kelly served as not only the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach from 1983-86, but also the softball coach.

Brian Kelly celebrates a 2009 win at Cincinnati.
Brian Kelly celebrates a 2009 win at Cincinnati.DAVID KOHL

On the gridiron, Kelly’s talent for relaying a message and getting his players to respect him was evident. Keep in mind, at Assumption, he was around 23 years old, fresh out of college. Many of the players were friends and former teammates. Suddenly, they became players he instructed. But Kelly’s talent for seeing the game differently, and making those around him better, couldn’t be denied. It was a skill that former Assumption head coach Bernie Gaughan knew had the potential to make Kelly a star.

“Bernie saw something in Brian,” said Gannon, who is two years older than Kelly and handled the defense alongside Kelly. “The things that I can remember was how sharp he was and how he picked the little things up, you know? And, I mean, he didn’t stay at Assumption very long before [leaving] to Grand Rapids. He was a very good coach.”

Kelly left the same impact on the diamond. He was hired by Rita Castagna, who founded Assumption’s softball program in 1976 and became its head coach. Castagna was later elevated to athletic director and hired Kelly as her successor. It was a position he held from 1984-87. In that span, his teams went 64-54, including 21-5 during his first year at the helm.

Regardless of the sport, communication and the ability to motivate were part of Kelly’s DNA.

Brian Kelly ended his tenure at Notre Dame as the all-time winningest coach in school history.
Brian Kelly ended his tenure at Notre Dame as the all-time winningest coach in school history.PAUL SANCYA/ASSOCIATED PRESS

“I think he did have a vision of what he wanted us to do,” said former Assumption third baseman Helen Russell, who played under Kelly for three seasons. “The challenges that he presented to us to be our best. He taught us how to win in a different way. And I think he treated us with respect as athletes, and female athletes. So he really worked to build our talents, and helped create this winning environment.”

Kelly’s position today isn’t a surprise to the people he’s coached. The passion for coaching and guiding, despite the sport, is at the center of his endeavors.

“It wasn’t like he demanded respect,” said former Assumption captain and college Hall of Famer Karen Doucette, who played two seasons for Kelly. “People were really drawn to him. He was a good guy. You knew he was passionate about the sport and about us and everybody doing well.”

Kelly’s path is always moving forward. Russell said it was hard to imagine him leaving Notre Dame, but the LSU job was difficult to pass up. Plus, it aligned with his mission. But even though Kelly has advanced to the top of the college football ranks, he’s brought some of his former Assumption players along for the ride.

Brian Kelly is introduced as the new head coach at LSU.
Brian Kelly is introduced as the new head coach at LSU.JONATHAN BACHMAN/GETTY

In 2014, for instance, a number of Kelly’s former softball players, including Russell, went to visit him at Notre Dame.

“He spoiled us rotten,” Russell said. “We met him and he gave us the full tour. I mean, we were in the locker room just in awe of what he had done. It’s an extra path he’s taken.”

A path Kelly foresaw.

“He had vision,” said Gannon. “He knew.”

Julian McWilliams can be reached at julian.mcwilliams@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @byJulianMack.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Opinion: Brian Kelly has dismissed any concerns about 'culture and fit'

GS2_5583.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
January 28, 2022 1:30 pm CT

ADVERTISEMENT

0:00 / 0:00

Throughout coaching season, the words “culture” and “fit” are mentioned a lot.

They were certainly thrown out there in the wake of LSU hiring Brian Kelly. You could find countless clips and tweets of pundits and fans claiming Brian Kelly didn’t “fit” at LSU.

There wasn’t much reasoning behind this, except that Brian Kelly was not from Louisiana.

There are some things about Brian Kelly that make him easy targets for a joke. I’ve gotten a few off on him in my life. I’m sure some of the talk around Kelly’s arrival to LSU was just in good fun.

There is something to be said about understanding the lay of the land. That’s life. If you take a new job somewhere, it’s typically expected you’ll make some adaptations to fit the place you’re in.

After Brian Kelly’s first couple months on the job, there shouldn’t be any more concerns over his fit in Louisiana.

One of the first hires he made after arriving at LSU was Frank Wilson, who made a name for himself on the Louisiana recruiting trail while on Les Miles’ staff.

Then there’s Joe Sloan, who left an offensive coordinator position at Louisiana Tech to be the quarterback’s coach in Baton Rouge.

Prior to joining LSU, Sloan had been at Louisiana Tech since 2014. He’s another well-respected coach that has experience in the state.

Leading the wide receiver room is Cortez Hankton, a native of New Orleans. Hankton has been coaching in the SEC since 2015 and is coming off a national championship run with Georgia.

Brad Davis remains the offensive line coach. There’s little left to be said about how important he is to this staff and how strong his ties to the city of Baton Rouge and the state of Louisiana are.

That’s every position coach on the offensive staff. All with ties to Louisiana and all but Sloan with SEC coaching experience.

Kelly understood what he needed to do and he did it.

When it comes to the transfer portal, a good amount of the players LSU landed are originally from Louisiana.

This program feels as much “Louisiana” now as it did under Ed Orgeron.

That doesn’t mean it’s automatically going to work. This is the SEC, and you have to fight to be good no matter where your staff and players are from. I’m sure Kelly knows that too.

But for now, fans should be sold on Kelly’s ability to adapt and recruit. In the end, nobody will care about what accent he has if he wins.

If it was all about how well one’s accent fit with their school, Orgeron would still be the head coach at LSU.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...