Gameday Tigers

Brian Kelly builds coaching staff

houtiger

Reports are that Marcus Freeman (DC) is going to be announced as ND's new Head Coach (possibly as early as today) and that they are retaining Tommy Rees as OC. Additionally, their TE coach (John McNulty) and their strength and conditioning coach, Matt Balis, have stated they are also staying at ND.

At this point, we should probably start talking about who ISN’T staying at Notre Dame under new head coach Marcus Freeman because in addition to Tommy Rees and Mike Elston, running backs coach Lance Taylor, tight ends coach John McNulty, safeties coach Chris O’Leary, and cornerbacks coach Mike Mickens are ALL staying at Notre Dame.

Wow. Usually, when a head coach leaves a program for another program, he takes a lot of assistants with him. Lincoln Riley did earlier this week when he ditched Oklahoma for USC. But, that is not what is happening at Notre Dame after Brian Kelly pulled his Irish goodbye on Notre Dame with his former assistants.

https://www.uhnd.com/football/2021/12/01/taylor-mickens-mcnulty-oleary-all-reportedly-staying-at-notre-dame-on-freemans-staff/

Jeff Quinn appears to be following Kelly to LSU as our OL coach. This is according to Wikipedia (I know) and I have not seen any news reports confirming that. If Quinn does not follow Kelly here, I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly bring in Harry Heistand, who was his OL coach at ND from 2012-2017.

So it looks like the core of his staff at ND is apparently staying in South Bend.

The Notre Dame "family" has been quick and effective at portraying CBK's acceptance of the LSU job as a deep betrayal and many of the assistants have deep social ties in the South Bend area and/or in the Midwest in general. Can't help but think that accepting an assistant coaching position at LSU might be viewed as toxic for them at this point in time.

All of this might lead to a few more current assistant coaches on the LSU staff being retained by Kelly - at least in the short term.

The American Football Coaches Association convention is in San Antonio January 9-11.  Keep your eyes on this as the AFCA convention is often a place where staffs are filled out.  This comes after both the NCAA and NFL regular seasons are over and when assistants are often looking for a new gig if the HC they worked for is no longer with their most recent team.

This has been a crazy year for coaching changes in the NCAA and this is likely to be the same in the NFL as the season ends. That will open up a lot of good coaches looking for their next gig.

I found this article, which lists all of the assistants under Kelly at ND through the years:

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/The-History-Of-Brian-Kelly-Assistants-At-Notre-Dame-128435141/

My guess is that we might see a few of these guys filling out his staff. Not all are still with ND but some of them worked with Kelly before and during ND.

These are guys he knows. Some may have been fired by Kelly in the past and not interested in reuniting.

9 hours ago, LSUDad said:

SOURCES: Brian Kelly let go of LSU’s longtime strength and conditioning coach Tommy Moffitt, who helped spark the football program to 3 national titles, sources tell me and

. Moffitt's tenure began in 2000. He is the first LSU staffer who has been informed he’s out.

33 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

FYI Joe Brady is looking for a job! 

WOW, I'd like him back, at least as passing game coodinator, or we are looking for a WR coach.

I am for canning both coordinators, Jones may be good later, but he needs more experience IMO.  like Nootch said, it would be good to know is he ran O's defense early in the year and if he shaped the defense in the second half of the year, but I'd like more experience.

I think Corey Raymond is a priority keep.  I like Baker the LB coach, and maybe Carter the DL coach.  A big question to me is Greg Davis at OL.  The line did not play well most of the time, I favor letting him go.  Faulk is a hard call, TDP played well, at times VERY well.  Would like to see Faulk remain at LSU somehow.  At one point I heard LSU had issues with the high school coaches in NO.  Was that healed enough that now a good coach can go to St. Aug and be well received?  I would hope so, that losing Mickey Joseph does not hamper our recruiting in NO too bad.

45 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

FYI Joe Brady is looking for a job! 

from a Panther's fan board.  You know us fans have ALL the facts, and the strictly on-point observations:

1.  I liked his prospects like everyone else. The inability to make any changes and adapt to what his weapons do best was just not gonna get fixed. 

2.  10+ years from now he will be ready for a position like this. 

3. Rhule scrambling to save his job. Hope Tepper doesn't buy it.

I wouldn't be too eager to sign Joe Brady as OC. 

A name to watch might be Mike Denbrock, who is currently Luke Fickel's OC at Cincinnati. Previously Denbrock was at Notre Dame. Kelly hired Denbrock when he got to Notre Dame and both were at Grand Valley State. Between 2010 and 2016 Denbrock was TE Coach, WR Coach, Offensive Coordinator, and Assistant Head Coach at Notre Dame.

In 2017 Denbrock moved to Cincinnati where he has been OC and QB coach and is currently OC and TE coach.

If he is a candidate, we'd probably have to wait until Cincinnati is done in the playoffs.

• Like 1

Joseph had an offer before with Nebraska. This job might be short lived. But he should have jobs to fall back on if this one doesn’t work. 

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/football/former-husker-mickey-joseph-reportedly-turned-down-offer-to-join-nebraska-coaching-staff/article_9317216b-559d-59d2-b940-4f93d2f7b8aa.html

Edited by LSUDad

49 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Joseph had an offer before with Nebraska. This job might be short lived. But he should have jobs to fall back on if this one doesn’t work. 

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/football/former-husker-mickey-joseph-reportedly-turned-down-offer-to-join-nebraska-coaching-staff/article_9317216b-559d-59d2-b940-4f93d2f7b8aa.html

When you scroll down past that article there are bios on the staff. Matt Lubick is the spitting image of his dad, who was a longtime HC at Colorado State.

• Like 1

I deleted that useless thread I started. I hadn't seen this one from hou...

Anyway, name I'm hearing...

Tashard Choice

GTech RB coach and could really help with potentially swaying Gibbs who entered the portal recently.  Serious mutual interest between he and LSU when we came outta HS.  Will be interesting to watch, and tells me Kevin Faulk is very unlikely to be retained for THAT position

• Like 1

Notre Dame’s Brian Polian Expected to Become LSU Special Teams Coordinator

• by Tom Loy
  • 44 minutes ago

Irish Illustrated has learned that special teams coordinator Brian Polian is expected to leave Notre Dame to become the special teams coordinator at LSU.

There was some conversations regarding him potentially becoming the next head coach at Lafayette College, but he now joins the coaching staff in under new head coach Brian Kelly.  Due to the relationship that goes back many years between Polian and Kelly, he was clearly one of the favorites to end up in Baton Rouge.

Polian has been on two different Notre Dame coaching staffs during his time as an assistant coach. Most recently, he has been the specials teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator under Kelly from 2017-21. Prior to that, he was the special teams coordinator under Charlie Weisfrom 2005-10.