Gameday Tigers

Brian Kelly builds coaching staff

houtiger

By all accounts this weekend is going to be a big recruiting weekend w/ several of our commitments and big targets coming to campus. Very good timing bringing Frank Wilson into the fold to be a part of that.  With such a big event coming up and in light of the hires already made, it wouldn't surprise me to see more hires announced this week or that certain coaches/staff members are being retained.  I would certainly like to see the OC and DC named so our players and recruits have the full picture hearing into the early signing date.

There are discussions among fans going on about whether Kevin Faulk will remain on staff now that Frank Wilson is hired since they both coach RBs. Speaking to a friend of mine he tells me that Frank Wilson has also coached WRs and thus there may be a spot for both.  No idea how feasible that is or if FW can step in an coach the WRs.  I know that the death of his daughter, understandably, really impact Kevin and may simply be ready to get out of the grind. We will know something soon.

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Brad Davis retained as OL corch

That's really interesting given that the OL sucked at times, especially early in the season, like against UCLA.  The OL did improve.  Davis could have talked about his year at Arky where they ran the ball well.  But, I will trust BK.  They must have discussed what the problem was, and Davis successfully blamed someone else.

20 minutes ago, houtiger said:

That's really interesting given that the OL sucked at times, especially early in the season, like against UCLA.  The OL did improve.  Davis could have talked about his year at Arky where they ran the ball well.  But, I will trust BK.  They must have discussed what the problem was, and Davis successfully blamed someone else.

You can't make chicken salad outta chicken shyte

50 minutes ago, houtiger said:

like personnel?
like offensive scheme?

which is more likely?

A. a guy with a good reputation as an o-line coach suddenly sucking ass

B. an inexperienced OC calling plays for an illiterate ogre putting bad personnel into terrible schemes

I know which way i would lean. 

i mean it took us half a season to realize we could pull a guard. 
then an additional 4 games to learn that we could run that play to the left if we wanted to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

Now that I'm off work, I'd like to address this in a little more detail. 

Brad Davis got here late due to a firing. He didn't have the time to work with these guys. 

"These guys"...the previous OL coach simply could NOT land an OT to save his life.  Earlier this year I posted every OL recruit in the past 6-7 years. It was disgusting. 

Our best OL played for Kentucky due to being unable to remain eligible at LSU. You can blame LSU for it's archaic weed policy, or the player for being unable to make it through a whole day without the devil's lettuce, but you can't blame Davis. 

He already had his skins on the wall prior to being hired, and is about to sign an actual elite OT... something nobody's done at LSU in nearly a decade. 

Glad they kept Davis

Brian Kelly reportedly hires former Oklahoma/Notre Dame defensive coach

Stacey Mickles | 3 hours ago

Since former Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly left for LSU, there have been a lot of questions about if some of his assistants would follow him to Baton Rouge. A few finally have, including 1 reportedly hired on Wednesday.

Notre Dame’s former co-defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks will be joining Kelly’s staff, according to Brody Miller of The Athletic.

Kelly hasn’t said yet what position Cooks will take. Cooks had been an assistant on and off with both Notre Dame and Oklahoma for years, with his last stop being with the Irish in 2020.

His primary job over the years has been as a secondary coach and one has to think he’ll either have that position again or have another major position on the defensive side of the ball for LSU.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:55 AM, Hatchertiger said:

Looks like he is slowly building his staff:

I meant to circle back on this earlier.

Brian Polian is the son of Bill Polian, who was the long time GM of the Indianapolis Colts. Polian (Pere) drafted both Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck and considered himself to be a protege of former Saints GM Jim Finks, who transformed the Saints from an NFL laughingstock into a perennial playoff team.

Brian Polian (Fils) apparently had quite the recruiting pipeline for Notre Dame into Hawaii. He's developed quite an extensive set of connections with high school coaches and has a list of big time Hawaiin players that have come to Notre Dame starting with Manti T'eo on through multiple players from the Aloha state on ND's roster now.

Orgeron had quite the pipeline for Samoan players and it's good that we'll have a new pipeline into Pacific Rim players.

https://www.uhnd.com/football/2021/12/08/with-polian-gone-notre-dames-hawaiian-pipeline-needs-attention/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herb said:

Going out on a limb and predicting that once Gumps is out of the playoffs LSU will poach their Defensive Coordinator, Pete Golding.

I think that's going to be a long wait.  And unless LSU offers him a significant pay raise he would be crazy to leave Alabama

Edited by COTiger
nm

1 minute ago, COTiger said:

I think that's going to be a long wait.  And unless LSU offers him a significant pay raise he would be crazy to leave @Gumps

He's a Louisiana boy and it's no secret Saban ain't the easiest to work for. 

That said, I don't think Kelly is either.

6 hours ago, COTiger said:

I think that's going to be a long wait.  And unless LSU offers him a significant pay raise he would be crazy to leave Alabama

Filling in on Fishhead's comment, Golding and his wife are both from Hammond, La. His wife is a professor at UTSA (not sure how that works logistically).

This has also been a bit of a 'down year' for Bama's defense so it might be a good time for a transition for him.

Texas A&M defensive coordinator to be next head coach for Duke Blue Devils

Griffin McVeigh1 day
duke-blue-devils-next-head-coach-mike-elko-texas-am-defensive-coordinator A Duke Blue Devils helmet on the sideline against the Wake Forest Demon Decons. (Jaylynn Nash/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

According to On3’s Gerry Hamilton, the Duke Blue Devils are finalizing a deal for Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko to become their next head coach. It will mark the first head coaching job for Elko at any level. W

Whether or not he will coach in the Aggies’ bowl game against Wake Forest is unknown.

Elko has been a defensive coordinator for seven programs, with Bowling Green being the first at the FBS level in 2009. Since then, he has been at Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M.

Head coach Jimbo Fisher pulled Elko away from South Bend when he was hired in 2018 and let him retool the Aggie defense. His unit was one of the best in the country this season, finishing third in scoring defense with 15.9 points given up per game.

Elko has been behind the No. 1 recruiting class in the country as well, helping pull in five defensive players from the top 100 on the On3 Consensus. He will now have five days to help build the Duke class up, which currently ranked No. 56 according to On3.

https://www.wkyt.com/2021/12/14/report-brian-kelly-lsu-targeting-uks-brad-white/

Report: Brian Kelly, LSU targeting UK’s Brad White

The report says that White is currently in Baton Rouge.
Kentucky defensive coordinator Brad White.
Kentucky defensive coordinator Brad White.(WKYT)
Published: Dec. 13, 2021 at 7:54 PM EST|Updated: 10 hours ago

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Football Scoop is reporting that LSU head coach Brian Kelly is targeting Kentucky’s Brad White as its new defensive coordinator.

The report says that White is currently in Baton Rouge and that a deal could come together quickly if he believes the job would be a good fit.

White has been on the staff at Kentucky for four seasons with three of those years as the defensive coordinator for Mark Stoops. The Wildcats are 32-17 with White on the staff.

Kentucky inside linebackers coach Jon Sumrall left to become the head coach at Troy ten days ago. White could become the second key piece of UK’s defensive staff to leave in December.

Copyright 2021 WKYT. All rights reserved.

• Like 3

The question is what does that mean for Blake Baker. 

Preface: I do not care if Kelly keeps a single piece of the previous coaching staff, just making conversation

It's possible he can hire White and still keep Baker.  It's also possible Baker is waiting until after NSD to take a DC job. 

If we keep Baker, that's pretty much the writing on the wall that Cooks is your DB coach.  As of now that hasn't  been announced.  He's hired, but for what position?  
If we keep Baker, he'd coach ILB and White would be OLB coach.  

I'm kinda hoping we DON'T keep Baker and in my own head, we grab Ron Cooper to be DB coach with Cooks as safety coach or something.  

• Like 1