Gameday Tigers

Brian Kelly builds coaching staff

houtiger

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

It seems the "shape" of the staff is going to be different.  BK will have some folks on staff doing different things than have been done in the past.  This guy will be doing talent identification.  I guess someone did that in the past, but not with a specific focus on it.  But, you will still have to get them to sign the national letter on signing day.

What I’m getting from the folks I know, Kelly has assigned certain people to handle set items. Before, some folks were running around, in somewhat limited capacity. A delegation of jobs by Kelly, he’s into seeing results. You can tell he’s done this before. 

• Like 1

According to John Brice of Football Scoop, former Georgia Bulldogs quality control coordinator John Jancek is joining the LSU Tigers staff under Brian Kelly. Jancek has ties to Kelly dating back to his time at Grand Valley State. He joined the Cincinnati staff the season after Kelly left for Notre Dame. He has SEC ties having been part of the national champion Bulldogs staff with wide receivers coach Cortez Hankton, as well as time with Tennessee.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Report: Super Bowl Champs Request to Interview LSU's Passing Game Coordinator Cortez Hankton

Hankton was been with program since middle of January after national championship run with Georgia

LSU passing game coordinator Cortez Hankton has been with the program for just a month but is drumming up some interest from the NFL. 

On Friday, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Super Bowl champions Los Angeles Rams have requested an interview of Hankton for its opening offensive coordinator position. This will obviously be a situation to monitor over the next several weeks with LSU just recently announcing its spring practice schedule starting March 24. 

Hankton, a former NFL receiver from 2003-08, grew up in New Orleans and most recently spent the last four seasons at Georgia, helping build one of the most consistent college programs in the country. He brings winning and now championship experience to this LSU coaching staff.

Prior to his four seasons with the Bulldogs, Hankton spent three seasons at Dartmouth College before being hired by Vanderbilt in 2015 as a receivers coach. Over his time at Georgia, the Bulldogs put together three consecutive 11-win seasons and two national championship appearances. 

Hankton for Ram's offensive coordinator?  He hasn't been an OC?  That looks suspicious to me.  Are they trying to check a box about what race they interviewed, as many black coordinators feel has been done in being asked to interview for head coach positions.

Hankton As a coach:
  • Dartmouth (2012–2014)
    Wide receivers coach
  • Vanderbilt (2015–2017)
    Wide receivers coach
  • Georgia (2018)
    Wide receivers coach
  • Georgia (2019–2021)
    Pass game coordinator & wide receivers coach
  • LSU (2022–present)
    Wide receivers coach

On a side note, Hankton rhymes with the name of my home town, Cankton, La.

Cankton was named after the local Dr. Guidry.  He loved to hunt ducks and practiced duck calls, Cank Cank Cank, Cank Cank Cank....  His nickname was "Cank" Guidry.  When the place was incorporated as a village, they named it Cankton in honor of the old Dr.  I thought y'all might like to know that!

• Like 3

This is the full press conference with BK introducing the defensive staff and special teams coach.   I listened to it and I like that all the House and Polian have lots of experience and seem like smart guys.  I think Kelly has a good sense of organization and prioritization.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, houtiger said:

This is the full press conference with BK introducing the defensive staff and special teams coach.   I listened to it and I like that all the House and Polian have lots of experience and seem like smart guys.  I think Kelly has a good sense of organization and prioritization.

I also like his dry sense of humor.

4 hours ago, Herb said:

I also like his dry sense of humor.

I caught a few today.  At one point he said before we introduce the coaches, I will take questions about anything we talked about yesterday, except parking problems... , then he paused with a wry smile.  He had a couple of other sneaky ones.  He made me smile a few times, and I think I'm going to enjoy this, if he can just win.

• Like 1

I enjoyed listening to this segment of the press conference(s) today immensely. Denbrock is going to be a force for us and I hope we can hold on to him.

It won't be long before he's on the short list for head coaching gigs.

He's going to disappoint the segment of our fan base that thinks we need to run a Boise State type of pass-happy, spread offense.

My gut tells me we'll look more like a Les Miles' offense without the stupid clock mismanagement and bone-head stubbornness (and I mean that in a complimentary and good way). Solid in the trenches, strong running game, and enough deep ball pass plays to keep the LBs and safeties far enough off of the LOS that they don't get burned (which opens up the running game more and TE pass plays).

• Like 1

OK, I listened to all of the interviews.  I'm impressed with the staff, I like the staff members.  They are all articulate, which also indicates they are smart.  They seem like they like their jobs, they talk about setting high standards and trying to achieve them.  But you know, I liked the last staff and they said many of the same things.

So, why might this staff have more success?  One, the coordinators have been coordinators before, they have lots of experience.  Kelly talked about this, they have experience at the championship level.  That's different from last year.  Kelly will apply his skills of getting organized and setting priorities, and if the guy at the top can do that, it eliminates confusion and wasted time trying to figure those things out.

This staff is relatively young, and they seem to have a lot of energy and desire to excel.  They talk about working together and enjoying working with each other.  I don't know that we saw that so much last year.

They talk about high character in recruiting.  We haven't heard much about that the last two years.  They talked about changing the culture, and it seems that needs to happen.

Coach Brad Davis got a tough question about the racial mix of the coaching staff, and he handled it BEAUTIFULLY.  I like that guy.  Davis said last year he thought the o-line began to come together around mid season, and I could see that.  We would not have hung with Gumps and aTm last year without good o-line play.  Somewhere I read that BK charged coach Davis with developing a center out of the current team.  And he needs two backups.

People think the coaches with the toughest job this year will be o-line and CB.