Gameday Tigers

Brian Kelly builds coaching staff

houtiger

LSU defensive staffer reportedly leaves for position in the NFL

Keith Farner | 5 hours ago

Brian Kelly is reportedly losing one of his defensive graduate assistants to the NFL, according to a report from Bruce Feldman, of The Athletic.

Feldman reported that Asauni Rufus will join the San Francisco 49ers staff in a quality control position. He has previously worked at Nevada, Notre Dame and Vanderbilt.

Rufus, a Bakersfield, California, native graduated from Nevada in 2019 as a psychology major. He was a four-year letter winner (2015-18) and three-time All-Mountain West selection (2016-18) as a defensive back with the Wolfpack. Rufus closed his career ranked third in career tackles with 340 and helped Nevada to a pair of Arizona Bowl appearances, in 2015 and 2018, according to his Vanderbilt bio.

Clark Lea brought Rufus with him to Nashville.

“I’ve kind of always known I wanted to be a coach after I was done playing,” Rufus told Nevada Sports Network of getting into coaching in 2019. “I didn’t know when it’d be, but I definitely wanted to coach. I loved coaching even when I was playing. I tried to always help the guys out. It’s a good feeling being able to help somebody achieve their goals.”

Strong Core Values Help LSU Receivers Coach Cortez Hankton Create Special Bond With Tigers

Hankton talks about his "why" for coaching and what he's learned about championship building
  •  
  •  
  •  

Every coach always has their "why" when it comes to getting into the coaching profession. The hours are long as recruiting trips, time at the office, practice, relationship building and the games all cut into family time.

For LSU receivers coach Cortez Hankton, he discovered his "why" fairly early on in his career as wanting to help other young players like himself fulfill their dreams. Hankton grew up in inner city New Orleans and saw his parents work extremely hard to get him out of that environment, setting the blueprint for Hankton in how hard he wanted to work.

Hankton didn't start playing competitive football until his junior year of high school at St. Augustine and took a little longer for him to develop as a player. Every step of the way from his days at Texas Southern to walking in as an undrafted free agent with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Hankton embraced every opportunity.

32 minutes ago, Herb said:

And none of this came to light during the internal and external Title IX investigations?  Something amiss there.

Agree, Woody has been very good as to doing his homework with hires. 

On another note, Art…

F04404C3-DD19-474C-B9B6-E87A75CE4EDE.thumb.jpeg.a0824f25f87f14d1bad9582a668898b8.jpeg

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

So this had to have occurred before 2015 when FW left LSU and its only making it into this suit 7 years after it occurred? Why wasn't this included in the original law suit?  I'm assuming she remembered the alleged incident when she filed it.  Sounds suspicious to me.

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Michigan State football hires away LSU football staffer! 

Mel Tucker has made it known that the Michigan State football program under his direction was going to be centered around recruiting at the highest level possible. A part of having a program that recruits at a high level, that program needs a strong support staff to help position coaches out. Mel Tucker enhanced MSU’s recruiting support staff immensely, hiring away Anthony Clavo from LSU.

Clavo was a part of the LSU football program for the team’s national championship season, along with helping in scouting and reporting before and after the championship, and many know that LSU recruits at the highest level in college football.

Clavo will be an offensive recruiting assistant at Michigan State.

• 1 month later...