Gameday Tigers

Max Johnson In The Transfer Portal

LSUDad

I told Dad over lunch, the QB I would like to see for LSU next season is Myles Brennan.  He entered the portal, but Kelly has an option to re-recruit him.  He entered before knowing who the head coach would be.  He obviously has the most experience.  I liked his arm.  We'll see.  Max transferring makes no sense to me, unless maybe Brennan is going to return.  If I was BK, I'd tell Myles, look, I'm going to start the best QB next year.  Come for the spring practice, and I will tell you after spring who the starter will be.  If it is not you, you can transfer then, knowing what the deal will be. 

• Like 2

Myles was projected to be healthy enough to play around the time of the Alabama game. Depending on where he is in terms of rehab and therapy, he conceivably could start in the Texas Bowl - should he return - thereby sparing Nussmeier's redshirt.

@houtiger, I'd love for Brennan to return.

There could be transfer portal fixes that could make up for the loss of Johnson.

Specifically, I am thinking about Spencer Rattler. Rattler was considered the front runner for the Heisman going into this season but fizzled and was replaced by Caleb Williams. Right now, Rattler's draft stock took a huge hit and he'd be wise to strongly consider playing a "rehabilitation season" at another school. His draft stock fell so hard that he went from being possibly the #1 pick in the draft to now being considered a late round draft choice or even an undrafted free agent.

Could Rattler be a temporary fix should Brennan officially move on?

It may or may not come out but "something" happened to make Max him transfer.  Duh!  I always felt that Brennan was going to be the starter this year until he got hurt. The negatives with Max's game is he isn't very mobile, tends to float the ball and has a bit of a wind up before the throws meaning he doesn't get it out very quickly at times.    He held onto the ball a good bit this year but being honest the o-line didn't always do him any favors. I'm still having visions of Garrett Dellinger getting rolled over onto his back for the A&M game.  For next year we have Nuss and Walker Howard. Wouldn't be surprised to see another QB come in via the portal as its probably too late to bring somebody in for this year's class.

Re the bowl game, maybe we should do what Bear Bryant secretly did before the 1971 season, install the wishbone!!!!

• Like 1

I know some talk about Nuss playing, having to burn his Red Shirt. Anyone remember this kid, Red Shirted the entire season? Having to burn it in the SEC Championship Game. 

FRESHMAN SEASON 
Saw first action of season against Tennessee in the SEC Championship Game …. Forced into the contest when an injury to Randall Gay left LSU without any more defensive backs … Broke up two passes vs. the Vols, one of which came in the endzone … Did not record any tackles in the game … Was going to redshirt before playing against Tennessee … Played against Illinois in Sugar Bowl … Did not record any statistics in win over the Illini.”

7 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

I know some talk about Nuss playing, having to burn his Red Shirt. Anyone remember this kid, Red Shirted the entire season? Having to burn it in the SEC Championship Game. 

FRESHMAN SEASON 
Saw first action of season against Tennessee in the SEC Championship Game …. Forced into the contest when an injury to Randall Gay left LSU without any more defensive backs … Broke up two passes vs. the Vols, one of which came in the endzone … Did not record any tackles in the game … Was going to redshirt before playing against Tennessee … Played against Illinois in Sugar Bowl … Did not record any statistics in win over the Illini.”

Travis Daniels. 

or was it Jesse?

i always got them two wrong. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, houtiger said:

I told Dad over lunch, the QB I would like to see for LSU next season is Myles Brennan.  He entered the portal, but Kelly has an option to re-recruit him.  He entered before knowing who the head coach would be.  He obviously has the most experience.  I liked his arm.  We'll see.  Max transferring makes no sense to me, unless maybe Brennan is going to return.  If I was BK, I'd tell Myles, look, I'm going to start the best QB next year.  Come for the spring practice, and I will tell you after spring who the starter will be.  If it is not you, you can transfer then, knowing what the deal will be. 

Max actually has the most experience.  As far as game time experience goes at least. 

17 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Max actually has the most experience.  As far as game time experience goes at least. 

Game experience, yes.  But Myles has been coached up for 5 years.  Thinking back, I would take Myles three games over Max's body of work.  Max has made some GREAT plays for the Tigers, such as the game winner a few weeks ago vs aTm.  I will always be grateful.  But I would try to re-recruit Brenna by offering them an even shot in the spring.

As far as Spencer Rattler, I don't like the kid.  One, he didn't perform that well, and two I think he is an arrogant kid that can screw up a locker room.    I'd much rather get Brennan back, and if not, someone besides Rattler.  He would be on the bottom of my list.  I won't ever say "never", but.............  I'd need to be desperate.

15 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Game experience, yes.  But Myles has been coached up for 5 years.  Thinking back, I would take Myles three games over Max's body of work.  Max has made some GREAT plays for the Tigers, such as the game winner a few weeks ago vs aTm.  I will always be grateful.  But I would try to re-recruit Brenna by offering them an even shot in the spring.

As far as Spencer Rattler, I don't like the kid.  One, he didn't perform that well, and two I think he is an arrogant kid that can screw up a locker room.    I'd much rather get Brennan back, and if not, someone besides Rattler.  He would be on the bottom of my list.  I won't ever say "never", but.............  I'd need to be desperate.

i don’t see Brennan coming back for “an even shot”. 

this is his last chance so i’m thinking he gonna take the surest thing he can find

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Said he never regretted it.

By the way after the NFL, Blue Gay went to law school. He is currently as assistant district attorney in Iberville Parish.

I see Blue every now and then. Blue is actually Blue, Jr. That was also his Dad’s name.

Blue use to live off Hoo Shoo Too Rd. My  nephew was heading to his moms house on night, right after sundown. He passed a house, saw a fire behind the house. As he drove a little further, he thought, wait, the house is on fire. 

He turned around and started heading back to the house, out the corner of his eye. He sees something with a white tee shirt hauling a$$ across the field, across the street from the burning house. He slowed down, the guy cleared the fence, crossed the street. My nephew and Blue, broke in the back door. Inside the house was a handicap man, they got him out safely. 

Blue just finished a new house in Back Brusly. 

Blues a great guy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How bad do you feel about losing Max Johnson?  More specifically, losing Johnson and getting Myles Brennan back?

I am good with this happening.  Max is competent, but only an average SEC QB.  He doesn't have a cannon, he can move in the pocket a little, even pick up a first down occasionally, but he is not a dangerous runner.  His mind does not always process what he is seeing quickly enough.  That goes from his pre-snap read to during the play.  This caused him to hold the ball too long and caused too many sacks.  Yes, the o-line was not great, but he needs to know that and know the ball has to get out quickly.

If Johnson is not a dangerous runner, Brennan is not quite that good.  I did see him get a first down in his 3 games in 2020, so he will take off, but Max was probably a better runner.  But when it comes to passing, I think Brennan was better.  Brennan has some zip on his passes that Max does not have.  I think Brennan can throw out to the sideline and get the ball there in time to let his receiver catch the ball before the DB arrives, Max not so much.  I thought Brennan could see and process what he was looking at better than Max, after game 1 for Myles.  Myles game 1, he did look like a deer in the headlights at times, but that is what you expect, especially with his o-line broken down.  Max looked better in his game 1 (Fla. 2020), but the o-line had improved a lot by then.

For me, it looks like a good trade.  I guess Max thought Myles would beat him out in the spring, and after Myles left, either Nuss or Walker Howard would beat him out in 2023.  I am just not sure that Max made a good decision of WHERE to transfer to, given who will be in the aTm QB room come next season.  Last year's game 1 starter returns as a redshirt soph, and a 5* freshman arrives on campus in CS.

24 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I am just not sure that Max made a good decision of WHERE to transfer to, given who will be in the aTm QB room come next season.

I'm guessing there might have been some cash in play. Signing someone with a recognizable "brand" name is good advertising and money well spent. That they got one of the best TE's in the nation to boot more than justifies it.

I always thought Brennan was the better QB than Johnson - by a significant amount. I get the "open competition" atmosphere and that Johnson was coming into last spring with some signature wins under his belt, but I always felt it was Brennan's job to lose as opposed to anyone's job to win.

Johnson was my mancrush, but I'll be the 1st to say that he has some serious flaws in his passing mechanics. I never saw that in Brennan. Johnson was definitely more mobile. I love what Max contributed here and I wish him well except for in one game per year.

Overall, I find this NCAA signing period fascinating. Add in the big number of coaching changes and this offseason has had me glued to my seat.

What a ride!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 12:29 PM, LSUDad said:

FRESHMAN SEASON 

Travis life.

• 10 months later...