Gameday Tigers

Early Signing Day Thread

Fishhead

This will be about as lackluster a NSD as we've seen, but it's not without good reason. 

1. LSU is a .500 team the last two seasons.  Has anyone ever done LESS coming off a National Championship?  I mean the whole thing.  On the field, recruiting, etc...

2. A mid-season coaching change stalled recruiting.

3.  No OC or DC named as of yet.

4. New HC a lot of guys don't 'know'.

I'd expect 11-14 guys to sign with the Tigers during this period, which runs through Friday.  We're not getting 20-22 guys like normal.  We'll have to take care of business once we get a full staff and of course hit the transfer portal hard.  

With that said, here we GEAUX!

1.  5* QB Walker Howard, first to put pen to paper this AM

2.  3* K Nathan Dibert is in

3. 4* OL Fitzgerald West fills a huge need

4. 3* OL Bo Bordelon is a Tiger...his mom can really dance

5. 3*WR  Landon Ibieta flipped from Miami to LSU last night, has signed with the Tigers.  Underrated dude

6. 5* OT Will Campbell... BOOM!

7. 4* DL Quency Wiggins, #9 DL in the country

8. 4* LB Demario Tolan

9. 3* DL Tygee Hill, developmental DL, but I think could transition to OG

10. 4* OL Emery Jones - thank you Lort

11. 3* DB Jordan Allen signed 

12. 4* DB Laterrance Welch - thank ya Lort

13.  3* TE Mason Taylor signed

Transfers:

Miles Frazier is in!

• Like 2

Not the best place to put this but we need an experienced QB. Would have to come via the portal. I know Howard is gonna be good from what everybody here in Lafayette tells me but you can't teach SEC experience and it is rare for a freshman to start in the SEC. We are gonna have Nuss as the only QB with "experience" next  season.  That seams pretty risky to me.  You almost have to bring somebody in. What do ya'll think?  And no I don't think it should be Bo Nix LOL. 

10 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Not the best place to put this but we need an experienced QB. Would have to come via the portal. I know Howard is gonna be good from what everybody here in Lafayette tells me but you can't teach SEC experience and it is rare for a freshman to start in the SEC. We are gonna have Nuss as the only QB with "experience" next  season.  That seams pretty risky to me.  You almost have to bring somebody in. What do ya'll think?  And no I don't think it should be Bo Nix LOL. 

Yeah, I agree.

There is some talk that Myles Brennan could be back.  I also wouldn't be surprised if we don't look hard at Keedon Slovis from USC, who entered the portal as a graduate transfer.

2 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Myles is coming back. 

I'd be 100% good with that.  My only thought is that at this point he HAS to start wherever he goes.  Does he come back and take the risk that Nuss will beat him out or go to Southern Miss where he is rumored to be going and almost be guaranteed to start?

LSU had an average player composite ranking of 90.77, which is the 4th highest composite ranking in the SEC.  While we did not sign the volume of players we usually do (a result of the timing of Kelly's hiring), we certainly signed quality players on day 1 of early signing period.

We ain't done yet.

• Like 1

I am also looking forward to the players Frank Wilson and Brian Polian reel in between now and February.

Polian is the son of Bill Polian, who built the great Bills teams that made 4 Super Bowl appearances in the 1980's and then went on to build the Indianapolis Colts teams with Payton Manning and Tony Dungy.

Brian Polian has roster management and player evaluation in his DNA. The tandem of Wilson and Polian working in concert is worth watching develop.

• Like 1

From Dandy Don this AM:

Next, LSU needs to focus on landing a few elite in-state players who are still uncommitted, like ATH Kendrick Law, safety Jacoby Mathews, and running back TraVonté Citizen, as well as linebacker Harold Perkins of Houston. Landing any three of those four would not only do wonders for LSU’s class ranking but, more importantly, would address big positions of need. Law, who will be announcing his school of choice on Friday, could be used as a wide receiver. That’s significant since LSU currently has only one in this class. Likewise, LSU has yet to sign a running back and only has one linebacker and one safety in the class. And while LSU is off to a good start with offensive linemen, it needs more. One certainly to keep an eye on is transfer OT Miles Zavier, who visited LSU last weekend. He tweeted last night that he will make a special announcement today at 1 pm ET (noon CT).

Of course, as mentioned several times, the transfer portal will play a huge role in shaping this class. As it stands now, LSU has 12 spots to fill between high school and transfer prospects, and then will likely have seven more to fill exclusively with transfers.

Edited by houtiger

10 hours ago, houtiger said:

I have wondered why Max would transfer, and if Myles came back, that might be a reason for Max to want to go.

Max left and took his brother with him because Kelly told him he was bringing in a transfer and there would be an open competition in the spring. 

Their chests caved in and they left. Now he'll likely ride the pine at TAMU as their original starter from this past season will be back from injury.

• Like 1