Gameday Tigers

Who Wins a Title First?

Fishhead

Who Wins  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the "bet"

• Kim hoisted a trophy before Jay. She wins and whoever picked her wins.
    • Jay has till June to make it a push. Not his fault that basketball ends in March and Baseball in June

Brian Kelly 

Jay Johnson

Will Wade 

Kim Mulkey

Kelly likely has the most work to do, but also the most resources by far. 

Johnson probably has the least work to do. 

Wade has the Tigers looking like a legit contender. 

Mulkey imo is the answer. She's just the best coach and in a sport where coaching matters more than talent. Also, because of her rep, she can get the talent

What say you?

1. Mulkey

2. Johnson

3. Kelly

4. Wade

I'd put them in that order. Mulkey is the only one who has done it already. Wade is doing work but its very difficult to win it all in men's basketball. Johnson inherited a good bit of talent.  Kelly has his work cut out for him. With the portal and NIL, the path to get to the top is even more difficult now.

Edited by Hatchertiger

44 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

1. Mulkey

2. Johnson

3. Kelly

4. Wade

I'd put them in that order. Mulkey is the only one who has done it already. Wade is doing work but its very difficult to win it all in men's basketball. Johnson inherited a good bit of talent.  Kelly has his work cut out for him. With the portal and NIL, the path to get to the top is even more difficult now.

I agree with your order.  

Your last sentence, I'm not sure you couldn't say it may be EASIER with portal.  NIL is definitely a wild card.

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

1. Johnson - has a team that could theoretically be ready RIGHT NOW

2. Mulkey 

3. Kelly

4. Wade. 

I have Wade last because of the nature of the tourney. 
Winning out is just difficult as hell no matter how good you are. 

I think each of the top 3 WILL win at least one here. 

As of a few months back, I'd have said Wade was the best coach we had.  However, if he were to win a 'ship, he'd be the first LSU coach to do so.  Same with Mulkey, but she's done it already elsewhere.  

30 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

As of a few months back, I'd have said Wade was the best coach we had.  However, if he were to win a 'ship, he'd be the first LSU coach to do so.  Same with Mulkey, but she's done it already elsewhere.  

agree he’s a damn solid coach. 

just that a 1 and Done format means the best team doesn’t always win. 
It’s why there’s always a Cinderella make a run. 

Yeah it's a fine line with bball.  One and done means great player, but experience and maturity is important.  Wade has done pretty well balancing it so far.  Skylar Mays as a SR was awesome, keeping Darius Days this year should prove to be a good thing.  He's nailed the portal too, especially this season.  If we had Adam Miller I would think he has a final 4 team this year.  

But there's the rub...you can have a Final Four team.  You can even have the best team...and still not win it all.

4 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

2. Mulkey 

3. Kelly

4. Wade. 

To quote you:

that guy been here months now and ain’t win shyte. 

Now you got him winning it all? 

Put me down for the Little Lady! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

To quote you:

Technically he's already won a recruiting title, but I agree she'll probably be the first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Yeah it's a fine line with bball.  One and done means great player, but experience and maturity is important.  Wade has done pretty well balancing it so far.  Skylar Mays as a SR was awesome, keeping Darius Days this year should prove to be a good thing.  He's nailed the portal too, especially this season.  If we had Adam Miller I would think he has a final 4 team this year.  

But there's the rub...you can have a Final Four team.  You can even have the best team...and still not win it all.

was actually referring to the one loss and out format of basketball tourney. 

3 hours ago, LSUDad said:

To quote you:

well he’s the only one that doesn’t have a rebuild project on his hands (obviously Wade is already multiple years into his building).  Hell just a slight change in pitching philosophy and arm management alone could have boosted LSU from traveling to Oregon to a top 8 seed and host.

this is a team that will (and should) have Omaha aspirations right out of the gate. 

can we say that women’s BBall is that close already? or does she have work to do?

I ask honestly because i don’t know that answer. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

well he’s the only one that doesn’t have a rebuild project on his hands (obviously Wade is already multiple years into his building).  Hell just a slight change in pitching philosophy and arm management alone could have boosted LSU from traveling to Oregon to a top 8 seed and host.

this is a team that will (and should) have Omaha aspirations right out of the gate. 

can we say that women’s BBall is that close already? or does she have work to do?

They're throttling some good teams. Ranked teams.  Early loss and taking names now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

They are all capable, this is a good time to be a Tiger Fan. Just enjoy the ride. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2021 at 11:35 AM, Nutriaitch said:

2. Mulkey 

3. Kelly

4. Wade. 

Good call on Wade being last lol. 

Also, mulkey is about to have to wait another year. Getting dominated by #6 seed tOSU. 

That said, she remains my choice. What she did with very little time turning around the Fargas train wreck is nothing short of amazing. 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Herb said:

Wade needs to be swapped out for McMahon.  I don't see that happening for Men's Basketball for many years, though.

i think Wade still wins one before McMahon

2 hours ago, Herb said:

Did Gymnastics win a title since this thread was started?

not that i’m aware of. 

• 2 weeks later...