Gameday Tigers

Georgia or Alabama

houtiger

2 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Who do you want to win?  Who do you think will win? 

sinkhole

2 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Anything else about the College Football Playoff?

Should Cincinnati have been in the playoff with an undefeated season, or would ND or Ok. State have played a better game?

Cincy earned their spot. 

who would have played a better game is completely not relevant. 

I will pull for Ga., tired of seeing Gumps win it all.  I think Gumps will win.  I think the two teams are evenly matched, except at QB, Bryce Young gives Gumps an edge.  Early in the season Young had some growing up to do.  He got better with game experience, I mean he won the Heisman. 

I see Ga. is favored by 3.  Ga. beat ranked teams ND, Clemson, Arky, Kentucky, and then Michigan.  Gumps is funny this year, they have not played efficient football at times, losing to aTm, and LSU with a below average team hung with Gumps.  The big change I see in Gumps is that late in the season it appears to me Bryce Young "got it".  He is playing a LOT better now than he did the first half of the season, like something has clicked for him.  He did win the Heisman.  Saban has been amazing at not having the greatest team at the beginning of the season, and having a world beater at the end.  Ga. supposedly has the great defense, but Gumps figured it out in the SECCG.  I think the difference in the game will be at QB, and Gumps has the edge.  We could look at the SECCG and think, maybe Gumps had an "on" day and Ga. had an "off" day.  If it switches and Gumps has an off day, Ga. certainly has a shot.  But if I was going to bet, I would take the points and Gumps.

Edited by houtiger

40 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

i don’t think he’s that good to be honest.

His o-line sure looked good in the SECCG.  He may not need to be stellar, but if he can stand in, survey the field, go through his progression and find the right receiver, he may just have to be very good.

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

His o-line sure looked good in the SECCG.  He may not need to be stellar, but if he can stand in, survey the field, go through his progression and find the right receiver, he may just have to be very good.

the SEC CG is the first time all year he looked like a Heisman candidate. 
and first time all year to O-Line looked dominant. 

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

the SEC CG is the first time all year he looked like a Heisman candidate. 
and first time all year to O-Line looked dominant.

And they're playing the same team.  They stand a good chance to dominate them again.  I thought Bryce played well against Cincy also.  Now, if as I said before, in the SECCG if Gumps was on and Ga. was off, that can turn around.  Ga. has the revenge factor.  Both coaches have the opportunity to change what they did last time, not a lot, but somewhat.  I would think that both coaches had some of their analysts working on Cincy and Michigan, while part of the analysts were working on Gumps and Ga. playing again.  Given one game to get his guys ready, motivated and prepared, it's hard to bet against Nick. 

Georgia's walk on QB made the big plays down the field that Mr. Heisman couldn't.  To me that was the difference in the game.

One other thing of note, was impressed with how Georgia D knows how to tackle, wrap up and bring a player down.  That is one of the fundamentals of football that is often overlooked in today's game.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 9:29 AM, houtiger said:

I think the two teams are evenly matched, except at QB, Bryce Young gives Gumps an edge.  

I mean he won the Heisman. 

go look at their numbers down the stretch (last 4 games played - rivalry game, SEC CG, and 2 playoff games each).
other than yards per game, all the other stats (Completion % ; TDs ; INTs ; Rating, etc) all favor one guy over the other one. and not particularly close either.

Hint: it ain't the guy that "won the Heisman"

Bryce Young:
322 ypg ; 57.2% ; 9 TD ; 4 INT ; 132.5 rating

Stetson Bennett:
283 ypg ; 64.5% ; 12 TD ; 2 INT ; 184.4 rating

of course, ESPN didn't tell America that, so they just assume Bryce Young was head and shoulders above the walk-on.

On 1/9/2022 at 6:48 PM, houtiger said:

Given one game to get his guys ready, motivated and prepared, it's hard to bet against Nick. 

ordinarily, i would agree with you.

do you know how many times Nick has beaten the same opponent twice in the same season in his entire career (he's had 9 same season rematches in his career)?

once. 

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

ordinarily, i would agree with you.

do you know how many times Nick has beaten the same opponent twice in the same season in his entire career (he's had 9 same season rematches in his career)?

once. 

On sportscenter after the game, they looked at all #1 vs. #2 matches that played in the regular season, then played in a bowl game, going back to 1959 LSU vs. Ole Miss (first game LSU won 7-3, they showed the Billy Cannon run, Sugar Bowl Ole Miss won 21-0), and all of the others, the loser of the first game WON EVERY REMATCH!  Very interesting, I certainly did not know that.  I don't know if its revenge, or extra focus, but "its a thing".

At any rate, it was a good game, exciting to the end.  I'm glad for Bennett and Ga., glad Gumps lost.

When you look at those two teams, they are the two best in the country this year.  And again, you see the size and athleticism on both sides of the line of scrimmage.  They are just outstanding.  A lot of players off both teams will play on Sundays.

The thing about Gumps, when they have a down year and don't win the natty, good chance they came in second that year.