Gameday Tigers

Is College Football Dead?

Hatchertiger

Between the transfer portal and NIL chaos is reigning in college football. Players have become free agents who are being sold to the highest bidder. Being rumored that Georgia is willing to pay Caleb Williams million$ to transfer there. Texas A & M has put together an unbelievable recruiting class on the strength of money alone.  It's looking like the teams that have the most money are going to get the recruits and that the traditional "tools" of recruiting (coaching, facilities, academics etc.) won't be a factor in putting together a team.  Teams are only beginning to flex their financial muscles and very soon it will be all out war with schools even more overtly chasing players with dollars. And yes I know that LSU can belly up to the bar itself but that doesn't change the dynamics of what college football has become. I hope I'm wrong but unless something changes, in my opinion college football as we know it and as I enjoy it is dead. #RIP

It might be in the hospital and maybe in the ICU, but I am not sure it is dead yet.

I'm waiting to see how the NCAA reacts to this year. I have to think that the NCAA has some ability to put controls in and the courts side with them if there are reasonable restraints put in play.

I also keep wondering if this last recruiting cycle might trigger some investigations and penalties against some schools.

As I recall, the NCAA rules state that NIL money cannot be used to induce players to come play for a school. Yet, this is exactly what we are now seeing with schools like Texas laying out what players will get in terms of NIL money on a position by position basis. It looks to me like lines are willfully and intentionally being crossed by schools.

I would not be surprised to see schools get penalized by the NCAA and in that case, I am glad to see that LSU was probably NOT engaging in 'pay for play' with NIL money.

Of course, the NCAA might be gun shy with respect to the courts.  

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 6:09 PM, Nutriaitch said:

well, it’s dead. 

because that ship already sailed. 

(note: i understand it’s a “one time” transfer policy, but whatever)

What Quinn Ewers did is disgusting and cannot be allowed to continue. 

Dude leaves high school early to sign with tOSU for a big time NIL deal, never takes a snap, just a boat load of NIL $$$, and transfers to Texas... for a big time NIL deal.  All this happened in less than, what, 8 months??

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fishhead said:

What Quinn Ewers did is disgusting and cannot be allowed to continue. 

Dude leaves high school early to sign with tOSU for a big time NIL deal, never takes a snap, just a boat load of NIL $$$, and transfers to Texas... for a big time NIL deal.  All this happened in less than, what, 8 months??

While I agree with this almost 100%, maybe if more kids screw over universities like Ohio State it'll temper the ridiculousness of NIL.  Maybe if Texas, Alabama, and Texas A&M have their NIL schemes get burned and taken for a ride they'll be more realistic about what they offer kids in exchange for using their NIL.

31 minutes ago, Herb said:

While I agree with this almost 100%, maybe if more kids screw over universities like Ohio State it'll temper the ridiculousness of NIL.  Maybe if Texas, Alabama, and Texas A&M have their NIL schemes get burned and taken for a ride they'll be more realistic about what they offer kids in exchange for using their NIL.

or, we go back to penalizing transfers. 

coaches get penalized (buyouts) to change jobs. NFL players can’t just change on a whim with no penalty. 

• Like 1