Gameday Tigers

Post Season thoughts (2021)

Nutriaitch

Gee, thanks Ed.

What we saw last night (last 2 seasons really) is exactly what many of us feared the day Alleva bragged about pulling off the laziest and least inspiring HC search in the history of mankind.

This was the culmination of the Ed Orgeron error (intentionally spelled that way).

As a program, we are a smoldering ash heap of what once was a bastion of consistency and greatness.
The roster needs to literally be built up from scraps. It will take multiple years just to get up to the scholarship limit.

The culture is rotten. It smells like the abandoned bait shops in Ed's hometown. 
The quit is strong in this group for the 2nd year in a row.
There is no "One Team, One Heartbeat" didley-poo in this locker room. It's all "me first, fornicate the team"

We had multiple guys leave the team to go play for division rivals.
We had a QB sit out last night so he can still possibly maybe be eligible in 2025. TWENTY TWENTY-FIVE!!!
We had our #18 do the exact opposite of what that numbers is supposed to mean, and opt out.  One season after we had a #18 transfer out because he couldn't hack it here.

That's the "Leaders" Ed picked out.

That's who this team has become.

however, I refuse to end the season on negativity, so shout out to a few true Tigers.
the "Dogs" as Signor Fish likes to call them.

the guys that will happily go into a battle with you and have your back no matter what.

Austin Deculus:

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.34.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.34.44 AM.png

Jay Ward:

Only Defensive starter from the UCLA game to play in every single game this season.
Just him.

the ONLY guy from a loaded 2019 DB class to step foot on the field for us last night

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.44.36 AM.png

Jontre Kirklin:

• Like 1

Probably will be an unpopular opinion, but Nuss can go ahead and transfer now. 

Was it his decision or his Dad's? I don't care.  But to...

1. Troll all week and all day yesterday with pics of his helmet and pads pre-game

2. Trot out there with eye black smeared all over his face like a warrior...

3. Then refusing to go to war with his teammates...

Get lost. No way if I'm his teammate would I want him in my foxhole. 

Save a redshirt?? Honest question, does ANYONE think he's beating out Brennan in 2022? If you say no, then you need to realize 2022 is his perfect redshirt year.  So this was the dumbest decision I've ever seen.  We have 3 scholarship QBs next year. He could've played in 4 games along with Howard and BOTH could redshirt next season.  

Instead he chose (or Doug chose) self over team last night. 

Geaux away. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Probably will be an unpopular opinion, but Nuss can go ahead and transfer now. 

Was it his decision or his Dad's? I don't care.  But to...

1. Troll all week and all day yesterday with pics of his helmet and pads pre-game

2. Trot out there with eye black smeared all over his face like a warrior...

3. Then refusing to go to war with his teammates...

Get lost. No way if I'm his teammate would I want him in my foxhole. 

Save a redshirt?? Honest question, does ANYONE think he's beating out Brennan in 2022? If you say no, then you need to realize 2022 is his perfect redshirt year.  So this was the dumbest decision I've ever seen.  We have 3 scholarship QBs next year. He could've played in 4 games along with Howard and BOTH could redshirt next season.  

Instead he chose (or Doug chose) self over team last night. 

Geaux away. 

He has a chance to lead a team into a bowl game, might be his only shot. Red Shirts are nowhere as valuable as once. 

The name of the game for modern student athletes is keeping their options open.  I don't really fault Nussmeier for not wanting to burn his redshirt - or more precisely - for wanting to keep his options open.

To slightly rephrase Fishhead's question earlier: What are Nussmeier's chances of becoming the starter at LSU with Myles Brennan returning and a 5 star incoming QB joining the team next spring?  I'd argue that things look "partly cloudy" for his prospects to become LSU's starter unless one of those 2 have an injury.

Keeping his redshirt has more importance to Nussmeier's for future transfer value than it does for LSU starting value.  I can't blame him for wanting to keep his options open.

I hear the case being made that this is selfish and he's choosing himself over his team.  Yes that is true and if you are wearing your "fan hat" it's easy to get pissed off at that. If your wearing your "this is my career" hat, then things look differently.

Kelly said the QB competition was going to be open for all 3 QBs - as it should be. But, honestly, next year looks like Nussmeier will probably be 3rd on the depth chart...possibly 2nd given he has a year of experience with LSU under his belt, but that was with a different offensive scheme. Realistically, he is likely 3rd.

Should Garrett sit around for his entire NCAA career buried on the depth chart? There was another QB that got tired of that at his old school and came to LSU after being tired of being buried on the depth chart. You might have seen him smoking a cigar this past weekend after a milestone victory with his NFL team.

The game last night was painful, but honestly LSU barely qualified for a bowl game at all because we sucked. We were a horrible team just about all year and by miracle of miracles we upset Florida and squeaked into bowl eligibility. Nootch is right to start his thread off by thanking (mockingly) Ed Orgeron.

That's not on Nussmeier and why should he have to push all his chips into the center of the table for a shit bowl game with no supporting cast?

Do you really think the outcome of the game would have been any different at all with Nussmeier under center than Kirklin. The only difference is that Nussmeier would have had 1 additional target to throw to than Kirklin did. Ed Ingram and others still would have sucked at protecting him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Herb said:

The name of the game for modern student athletes is keeping their options open.  I don't really fault Nussmeier for not wanting to burn his redshirt - or more precisely - for wanting to keep his options open.

To slightly rephrase Fishhead's question earlier: What are Nussmeier's chances of becoming the starter at LSU with Myles Brennan returning and a 5 star incoming QB joining the team next spring?  I'd argue that things look "partly cloudy" for his prospects to become LSU's starter unless one of those 2 have an injury.

Keeping his redshirt has more importance to Nussmeier's for future transfer value than it does for LSU starting value.  I can't blame him for wanting to keep his options open.

I hear the case being made that this is selfish and he's choosing himself over his team.  Yes that is true and if you are wearing your "fan hat" it's easy to get pissed off at that. If your wearing your "this is my career" hat, then things look differently.

Kelly said the QB competition was going to be open for all 3 QBs - as it should be. But, honestly, next year looks like Nussmeier will probably be 3rd on the depth chart...possibly 2nd given he has a year of experience with LSU under his belt, but that was with a different offensive scheme. Realistically, he is likely 3rd.

Should Garrett sit around for his entire NCAA career buried on the depth chart? There was another QB that got tired of that at his old school and came to LSU after being tired of being buried on the depth chart. You might have seen him smoking a cigar this past weekend after a milestone victory with his NFL team.

The game last night was painful, but honestly LSU barely qualified for a bowl game at all because we sucked. We were a horrible team just about all year and by miracle of miracles we upset Florida and squeaked into bowl eligibility. Nootch is right to start his thread off by thanking (mockingly) Ed Orgeron.

That's not on Nussmeier and why should he have to push all his chips into the center of the table for a shyte bowl game with no supporting cast?

Do you really think the outcome of the game would have been any different at all with Nussmeier under center than Kirklin. The only difference is that Nussmeier would have had 1 additional target to throw to than Kirklin did. Ed Ingram and others still would have sucked at protecting him.

the guy stood there in full uniform wearing his war paint and watched his teammates get their asses handed to them. 

why?

because he’s more worried about himself than his team. 

there is literally no other way to spin that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herb said:

That's not on Nussmeier and why should he have to push all his chips into the center of the table for a shyte bowl game with no supporting cast?

He had a golden opportunity to take snaps with the ones and lead the team. While Brennan and Howard had no such chance. 

He chose to let a wide receiver take that opportunity.  And I wouldn't be surprised if it was his last chance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

the guy stood there in full uniform wearing his war paint and watched his teammates get their asses handed to them. 

why?

because he’s more worried about himself than his team. 

there is literally no other way to spin that. 

He is not the only one that opted out.

31 minutes ago, Herb said:

Me either.

I'm looking forward to watching CBK's hammer fall. But (N)uss was not the only player that opted out of the bowl.

Agree, just didn't care for the social media didley-poo games and coming out there with war paint and no intention of engaging in the battle. Rubbed me the wrong way big time. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

And I have to point out since you mentioned Burrow in your earlier post...

There's no way in hell Burrow would've sat last night. ZERO

I agree...my comparison to Burrow was not in whether he would have played or not, it was that he wasted away on Urban Meyer's depth chart and decided he needed to think for himself instead of his Ohio State team mates.

1 hour ago, Herb said:

I agree...my comparison to Burrow was not in whether he would have played or not, it was that he wasted away on Urban Meyer's depth chart and decided he needed to think for himself instead of his Ohio State team mates.

and he earned that right by graduating before bolting. 

If Nuss was confident in his abilities  (and a great teammate) he would have played.  He didn't play because he fears being pinched out by Brennan and Howard once spring training is done and being third on the depth chart making it likely he will transfer.  I would like to know who made the ultimately decision that he not play. Him? Dad? Someone at LSU?  We prolly won't know the answer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LSUDad said:

He has a chance to lead a team into a bowl game, might be his only shot. Red Shirts are nowhere as valuable as once. 

Some might remember the young man that burned his Red Shirt, Travis Daniels.  
Travis won a NC at LSU in 2003. The guy that coached him at LSU, drafted him in the 4th round of the 2004 NFL Draft. Travis played 8 years in the NFL. So, he looked to be rewarded over the years! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

i was going to bring up Daniels, but figured people would argue doing so in SEC CG made more sense than doing in TaxAct Northeast Mexico Bowl. 

I brought him up at the start of this. Some might want to watch how Travis life went, here you go! Enjoy. 

Prior to his appearance, he was going to redshirt his freshman year. When asked about giving up his redshirt, he said, "I play for the name on my helmet, not the name on the back of my jersey."

Whose injury lead to Travis having to enter the game?

Randall "Blue" Gay

9 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Whose injury lead to Travis having to enter the game?

Randall "Blue" Gay

I see Blue every now and then. My cousin taught just about every kid that went through the Brusly school system. Blue lives right behind my two cousins. 

Edited by LSUDad