Gameday Tigers

Tigers In The 2022 Draft

Hatchertiger

April 28-30th. Not sure if LSU's Pro Day has been announced. I'd love to be able to go to one.  Some of the juniors who declare make you scratch your head sometimes.  But we rarely have the whole story. Read a story recently about Tyler Shelvin.  Part of the reason he came out was grades he just could not make it in the classroom.  One of the ones I wonder about this year is Cordale Flott.   Without question would have started at CB upcoming season w/ Ricks and Stingley gone. Anywho, here is a take on where the LSU players who will be part of the draft will land.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/LongFormArticle/Predicting-where-LSU-Tigers-football-NFL-draft-prospects-get-selected-181364570/#181364570_8

I am assuming Stingley's foot will be healed by Pro Day.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:21 AM, Hatchertiger said:

I am assuming Stingley's foot will be healed by Pro Day.

With Stingley I don't tghink that matters.  My guess is that it is healed now.

The NFL knows he's a blue chip player regardless.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Nine LSU Players have been invited to the NFL Combine. 

Damone Clark (LB)

Tyrion Davis-Price (RB)

Austin Deculus (OT)

Neil Farrell (DT)

Cordale Flott (CB)

Chasen Hines (OL)

That's 6...who are the other 3?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herb said:

That's 6...who are the other 3?

Damone Clark, LB 
Ty Davis-Price, RB 
Austin Deculus, OL 
Neil Farrell, DL 
Cordale Flott, DB 
Chasen Hines, OL 
Ed Ingram, OL 
Derek Stingley Jr., DB 
Cade York, K 

The NFL Combine will take place in Indianapolis at Lucas Oil Stadium from March 1 through March 7. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How LSU Players Performed at 2022 NFL Combine

LSU running backs, offensive linemen, linebackers go through combine drills as they try to improve draft stock
  •  
  •  
  •  

It's a big weekend for former LSU players and their future NFL draft prospects. The combine is one way to show off their athletic traits but the interview process will also be critical as well. 

There are nine players going through this weeks slate of exercises and interviews but there's one former Tiger just going through the interview process, cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. 

Stingley told reporters on Saturday that he's still not quite 100% from a torn ligament he suffered in his foot that cost him all but three of the Tigers games in the 2021 season. Stingley said the rehab process is ahead of schedule and he'll be ready to show teams everything they need at LSU's pro day next month. 

One of the elite prospects in the 2022 draft class, Stingley's stock has dropped a little bit because of the injury riddled junior season at LSU. But that hasn't stopped Stingley from remaining ultra confident in his abilities.  

"Because I know myself and I know that when I'm at the best version of myself I'm the greatest,'' Stingley said.

Fellow cornerback Cordale Flott also did not participate in the combine but like Stingley, will have another opportunity at LSU's pro day on April 6.

As for the other seven prospects who did perform at the combine, there were a few standout numbers. Linebacker Damone Clark was one of the most impressive athletes to show off his physical traits, posting a 4.57 second 40-yard dash time that was among the best of the linebacker groups. 

Running back Tyrion Davis-Price also caught a few eyes with his 4.48 second 40-yard dash but even more so because of his ability to show he can be a reliable threat in the passing game, something he didn't get much opportunity to do while with the Tigers.

Cade York, one of the country's best kickers also was a limited participant at the combine, electing to do the bench press, which he did 12 reps of. 

Here's a look at how the LSU players have performed at the combine this weekend:

Tyrion Davis-Price (RB)

USATSI_17245984

Height: 6'0

Weight: 211 pounds

Hand: 9 1/4"

Arm: 30 3/4"

40-yard dash: 4.48 seconds

Vertical Jump: 30 inches

Broad Jump: 117 inches

Damone Clark (LB)

USATSI_17839226

Height: 6'2 1/2"

Weight: 239 pounds

Hand: 9 3/4"

Arm: 33 inches

40-yard dash: 4.57 seconds 

Vertical Jump: 36.5 inches 

Broad Jump: 127 inches

Derek Stingley (CB)

USATSI_16424326

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 190 pounds

Hand: 9 5/8"

Arm: 30 5/8"

Austin Deculus (OL)

USATSI_17827079

Height: 6'5 

Weight: 321 pounds

Hand: 9 1/4"

Arm: 34 5/8"

40-yard dash: 5.08 seconds

Vertical Jump: 28.5 inches

Broad Jump: 109 inches

20 Yd Shuttle: 4.99 seconds

Ed Ingram (OL)

USATSI_17826555

Height: 6'3

Weight: 307 pounds

Hand: 10"

Arm: 33 5/8"

40-yard dash: 5.02 seconds

Vertical Jump: 20.5 inches

Broad Jump: 102 inches

3 Cone Drill: 7.81 seconds

20 Yd Shuttle: 4.76 seconds

Chasen Hines (OL)

USATSI_17826846

Height: 6'3

Weight: 327 pounds

Hand: 9 7/8"

Arm: 33 7/8"

40-yard dash: 5.22 seconds

Vertical Jump: 30.5 inches

Broad Jump: 108 inches

Neil Farrell (DT)

USATSI_17835908

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 330 pounds

Hand: 10 1/8"

Arm: 32 1/4"

40-yard dash: 5.41 seconds

Vertical Jump: 21.5 inches

3 Cone Drill: 8.41 seconds

Cade York (K)

USATSI_15072672

Height: 6'1

Weight: 206 pounds

Hand: 8 3/4"

Arm: 31 5/8"

Bench Press: 12

• 3 weeks later...

Why LSU's Derek Stingley is Making Some NFL Teams Uneasy

Teams wary of last two years injury history, up and down play from Tigers star cornerback

Derek Stingley has top 10 talent as his athletic traits, instincts and freshman tape all back up a player with immense NFL potential. But as April's 2022 NFL draft grows closer, there are some teams who are getting wary of the former LSU star.

As a result, a once sure fire top 10 pick is starting to be projected in that 11-20 range in the draft and there's one reason why. ESPN's Todd McShay is as plugged in as any reporter come draft time and what the 32 NFL teams think of certain prospects.

• Like 1

Derek Stingley Jr. set to do all drills at LSU Pro Day

Josh Alper
4 hours ago

Cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. did not spent much time on the field for LSU over the last two seasons and that’s led to some questions about how high he should go in this year’s draft.

Teams still wondering about where Stingley should go on their board are set to get a chance to watch him in action this week. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Stingley is scheduled to do all drills at LSU’s Pro Day workout on Wednesday.

Stingley said early last month that he was getting into running after a Lisfranc injury that limited him to three games during the 2021 season. Monday’s report indicates that Stingley is now 100 percent recovered from that injury.

Stingley’s play as a freshman in 2019 is a big reason why he’s expected to go early in this month’s draft and a strong showing this week should cement his status as one of this year’s top prospects.

On 3/28/2022 at 10:07 PM, dachsie said:

Someone is wanting him to drop to snag him

It’s a little more than that. Paying big money for a first rounder. He has to answer why he missed games. In 2021, only played in three games due to injury. 2020, missed three games, but in 2019, made every game. A first round CB will come in to start from day one. The medical staffs will check him over. How he answers questions, too many things go into this. Beauty Pageant in cleats, but more about what they are getting, with their picks. Sean Payton, would ask a QB many questions, what throw you need to work on, what defense gives you problems, what defensive player gave you problems in college, etc? Payton knowing he wasn’t going to draft the player, but knowing one day that QB would be on the other side of the field. 

I’m not saying, teams won’t put up false flags to get a player to fall. Dachsie they all do this. But then again, most teams know who’s picking in front of them, an about where they plan to go. Every now and then, a team will throw a wrench in the works. A player will be there, a team will move up to get their guy. Another team will drop back, get another pick in a round. 

At one time Sting was thought to be a top 1-10 pick. Now later in the first round. 

LSU CB Derek Stingley’s Quest to be “Greatest Ever” Off to Promising Start

Stingley runs impressive 4.37 40-yard dash, shows NFL teams wide range of elite skills that have him firmly in first round conversation

Derek Stingley may be a man of few words as he lets his play on the field usually to the talking for him. But the last two seasons, the Tigers star cornerback hasn't been on the field nearly as much as he'd like, appearing in just 10 games after his breakout 2019 season as a freshman. 

It's been a difficult last several months for the projected first round pick, who's spent most of his time rehabbing from a Lisfranc injury suffered at the very beginning of training camp in 2021. Stingley would tough it out for three games with the purple and gold but a setback ultimately sidelined him for most of his junior season. 

All of the sudden a once viewed top 10 lock started to drop in the eyes of many talent evaluators. There were question marks around his overall health, which is what made Wednesday's pro day workout so important for Stingley and his journey to the NFL.

"I just wanted to show that nothing has changed," Stingley said. "The teams just wanted to see how I moved and after I showed them I was still me, everything was good."

Stingley spent much of the last several months rehabbing in Pensacola and Dallas before being cleared three weeks ago to start preparing for the combine. Stingley did have a few teammates to lean on who have gone through the exact same injury during their careers. Fellow cornerback Kristian Fulton had the Lisfranc injury as did former defensive lineman Andre Anthony.

The common message Stingley heard from those who have been through the injury and rehab process is that it's an injury that once fixed, isn't noticeable when going through the right rehab process. Anthony's biggest piece of advice to Stingley was to just not "get stuck in a shell," in other word not get closed off from the rest of the world as Stingley worked his way back to full strength.

"Once you get it fixed, you'll never have to worry about it again," Stingley said. "I feel fine, it doesn't even feel like I hurt it in the first place."

• Like 1

LSU pro day 2022: See complete results for Derek Stingley Jr. and other former players

Cordale Flott runs his first 40-yard dash, a 4.40, at LSU Pro Day, Wednesday, April 6, 2022. STAFF PHOTO BY TRAVIS SPRADLING

Wide receiver Jontre Kirklin makes a vertical jump attempt at LSU Pro Day, Wednesday, April 6, 2022. His best was 42 inches. STAFF PHOTO BY TRAVIS SPRADLING

BY WILSON ALEXANDER | Staff writer

Published Apr 6, 2022 at 8:00 pm | Updated Apr 6, 2022 at 8:31 pm

LSU hosted its pro day Wednesday, an annual event in which football players hoping to reach the NFL go through various tests and drills in front of pro scouts.

Sixteen players worked out for representatives from all 32 NFL teams, including Chargers coach Brandon Staley and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

Former LSU wide receiver Jontre Kirklin tested well as he recorded a 42" vertical jump and 11-5 broad jump.

Kirklin, who worked out as a defensive back, would've had the longest broad jump and tied for the highest vertical jump at the NFL scouting combine last month.

"Vert was shocking for me," Kirklin said. "I didn't expect a 42, but I wanted a 43.

Former defensive end Andre Anthony also participated in a limited fashion six months after tearing his ACL, an injury that ended his LSU career. Anthony, who was cleared last Thursday, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds.

"When I saw that time," Anthony said, "everything hit me at one time, everything I've been through."

Below is a list of the players' measurements and the tests they completed, according to numbers provided by LSU.

RELATED

unknown.svg

MEASUREMENTS

DE Andre Anthony

Height: 6-3⅛

Weight: 245

Arm Length: 33⅝

Wing Span: 82

Hand Size: 9¾

P/K Avery Atkins

Height: 5-10½

Weight: 212

Arm Length: 29¾

Wing Span: 71⅜

Hand Size: 8⅝

RB Tyrion Davis-Price

Height: 6-0¾

Weight: 219

Arm Length: 39¼

Wing Span: 75 5/8

Hand Size: 9¼

OT Austin Deculus

Height: 6-5

Weight: 322

Arm Length: 24¾

Wing Span: 83⅛

Hand Size: 9¼

RELATED

CB Darren Evans

Height: 6-2¼

Weight: 179

Arm Length: 32½

Wing Span: 76½

Hand Size: 8⅜

DT Neil Farrell Jr.

Height: 6-4⅛

Weight: 339

Arm Length: 32¼

Wing Span: 78½

Hand Size: 10

CB Cordale Flott

Height: 6-0½

Weight: 178

Arm Length: 30

Wing Span: 74⅜

Hand Size: 7⅝

OG Chasen Hines

Height: 6-2⅝

Weight: 331

Arm Length: 34

Wing Span: 83

OG Ed Ingram

Height: 6-3⅝

Weight: 312

Arm Length: 33⅞

Wing Span: 83⅜

RELATED

2__#$!@!#__unknown.svg

WR Jontre Kirklin

Height: 5-11⅝

Weight: 184

Arm Length: 30⅝

Wing Span: 74⅜

Hand Size: 9⅜

S Cameron Lewis

Height: 6-0⅜

Weight: 191

Arm Length: 32⅛

Wing Span: 75⅞

Hand Size: 9⅝

DT Glen Logan

Height: 6-2¾

Weight: 298

Arm Length: 34¼

Wing Span: 82⅛

Hand Size: 9¾

C Liam Shanahan

Height: 6-4⅝

Weight: 305

Arm Length: 32⅝

Wing Span: 78½

CB Derek Stingley Jr.

Height: 6-0¼

Weight: 188

Arm Length: 30⅝

Wing Span: 74

K Cade York

Height: 6-1½

Weight: 205

Arm Length: 32

Wing Span: 76⅝

Hand Size: 8⅞

TE Jamal Pettigrew

Height: 6-6½

Weight: 244

Arm Length: 33¾

Wing Span: 80¼

Hand Size: 10¼

TESTING

DE Andre Anthony

Vertical Jump: DNP

Broad Jump: DNP

Bench Press (at 225 pounds): 21 reps

40-yard Dash: 4.63 seconds

20-Yard Shuttle: DNP

3-Cone Drill: DNP

RB Tyrion Davis-Price

Vertical Jump: 35.5 inches

Broad Jump: 8-8 feet

Bench Press: DNP

40-yard Dash: DNP

3-Cone Drill: 7.25 seconds

OT Austin Deculus

Vertical Jump: 35.5

Broad Jump: 8-8

Bench Press: 24

40-yard Dash: 5.00

CB Darren Evans

Vertical Jump: 37

Broad Jump: 10

Bench Press: 11

40-yard Dash: 4.48

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.31 seconds

3-Cone Drill: 6.7

DT Neil Farrell Jr.

Vertical Jump: DNP

40-yard Dash: 5.33

20-Yard Shuttle: 5.05

CB Cordale Flott

Vertical Jump: 34

Broad Jump: 10-2

40-yard Dash: 4.40

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.1

3-Cone Drill: 6.94

OG Chasen Hines

Vertical Jump: 29.5

Bench Press: 20

40-yard Dash: DNP

20-Yard Shuttle: 5.0

3-Cone Drill: 8.46

WR Jontre Kirklin

Vertical Jump: 43

Broad Jump: 11-5

Bench Press: 10

40-yard Dash: 4.52

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.3

3-Cone Drill: 7.0

S Cameron Lewis

Vertical Jump: 36

Broad Jump: 9-25

40-yard Dash: 4.57

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.4

3-Cone Drill: 7.34

DT Glen Logan

Vertical Jump: 27.5

Broad Jump: 9-2

Bench Press: 18

40-yard Dash: 4.99

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.75

3-Cone Drill: 7.88

C Liam Shanahan

Vertical Jump: 30.5

Broad Jump: 8-5

Bench Press: 28

40-yard Dash: 5.14

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.69

3-Cone Drill: 7.39

CB Derek Stingley

Vertical Jump: 38.5

Broad Jump: 10-2

40-yard Dash: 4.37

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.19

3-Cone Drill: 7.0

TE Jamal Pettigrew

Vertical Jump: 36.5

Broad Jump: 9-7

Bench Press: 20

40-yard Dash: 4.67

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.55

3-Cone Drill: 7.3

Atkins, Ingram and York did not participate in on-field testing.

LSU’S DEREK STINGLEY JR. IS FALLING IN THE DRAFT AFTER HE COULD HAVE BEEN A TOP 3 PICK IN 2020

by 613fe03713615-bpthumb.pngGLENN GUILBEAUApril 7, 2022, 5:45 amupdated April 7, 2022, 9:31 am

BATON ROUGE – If college football had the one-and-done, cover cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. of LSU would be entering his third season in the NFL in 2022. He would be nearing his second contract after signing for $33.5 million over four years with a $21.9 million signing bonus in 2020.

In LSU’s 15-0 national championship season in 2019, Stingley was a consensus first team All-American after leading the Southeastern Conference with six interceptions and was No. 2 nationally in passes defended with 21 under defensive coordinator Dave Aranda. He would have most likely been the first cornerback picked at No. 3 in the first round in 2020 behind LSU quarterback Joe Burrow to Cincinnati and Ohio State defensive end Chase Young to Washington.

LSU cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. talks Wednesday at Pro Day.

But since he was not available, Detroit took Ohio State cornerback Jeff Okudah with the third pick of the first round and paid him that $33.5 million over four years with a $21.9 million signing bonus.

Since Stingley had to remain at LSU through his junior season in 2021, he was not eligible for the draft until this year on April 28. He ran an excellent 4.37 time in the 40-yard dash on Pro Day at LSU on Wednesday and looked excellent in the other various drills as well.

But he is no longer considered a top five pick and could even fall out of the top 10 and closer to the middle of the draft. He has not intercepted a pass since 2019 and just played in 10 games since then.

“He’s now going to be a top 10-12 pick,” NFL Draft expert Mike Detillier of WWL Radio in New Orleans said Wednesday. “Derek would have been the third overall pick in 2020. He was a better prospect then than Okudah. He was the most dominant freshman cornerback in my 36 years covering LSU. But for pro scouts, head coaches and general managers, it’s about his long term health and availability.”

For that reason, he could fall to the second half of the first round and make in the neighborhood of $15.6 million over four years with an $8.7 million signing bonus, which is what Alabama quarterback Mac Jones made as the No. 15 pick of the first round last year.

Since the summer of 2020, Stingley’s stock has fallen, as has that of the LSU football program.

Shortly after LSU won it all in 2019, Aranda became Baylor’s head coach.

Then, Stingley had a strange, sudden illness the night before LSU’s 2020 season opener against Mississippi State and missed the game. Mississippi State transfer quarterback K.J. Costello threw for a SEC record 623 yards in a 44-34 win and LSU tumbled to a 5-5 season with the worst defense in school history under coordinator Bo Pelini.

Stingley’s mysterious illness has never been confirmed publicly. It was said only that he had an “allergic reaction.” He returned to the lineup for the next seven games, but after a 3-5 start by the Tigers, he sat out the last two games of the season with an ankle injury.

Stingley and LSU got a new defensive coordinator in 2021, former Minnesota Vikings secondary coach Daronte Jones, but he had no major college defensive coordinator experience, which quickly showed. And Stingley never got going either as he suffered a painful Lisfranc joint injury in his left foot during preseason practices. The Lisfranc injury is basically torn ligaments in the middle of the foot.

Stingley played on the injured foot for the first three games of the 2021 season, but aggravated the injury at practice on Sept. 22, had surgery and missed the rest of the season. He was cleared to prepare for the 2022 draft only three weeks ago.

He was asked on Wednesday how long he has been 100 percent healthy.

“Uh, 100 percent? Uh, uh, it’s been like a couple of days,” he said.

And he ran a 4.37 in the 40!

“I can run faster than that,” he said. “I don’t feel any soreness, so I’m good to go. I just wanted to show that nothing has changed during this past year. All the teams saw how I move after I showed them that I’m still me. Everything’s going to be good.”

Some feel Stingley will still be close to the top five picks.

“Could be early as eighth,” said Eric Galko of OptimumScouting.com service on Wednesday, but he is leaving room for a fall. “Top 20 lock.”

NFL teams are still very interested. There were representatives from all 32 teams at LSU on Wednesday, including defensive back coaches from Arizona, Atlanta, Detroit, the Los Angeles Chargers, the New York Giants, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Seattle. But all the attention may be because of the questions. Teams tend not to want to spend a high pick on a player with injury histories.

“When you pick that high, you are looking for the most talented and the cleanest prospect you can pick. The question about him is being available for a 17-game season. That’s what is dropping him,” Detillier said.

“Right now, I’m not even focused on that,” Stingley said. “I’m focused on these visits coming up with NFL teams. I have a lot of visits (with NFL teams) – nine.”

There are a lot of questions around Stingley. For one, he probably could have played those last two games in 2020. And should he have tried to play so quickly after the foot injury? He played the first three games last season and made the injury worse. He did not seem interested in talking about his LSU days on Wednesday.

“It was good,” he said only when asked about his experience at LSU as this was his last day on LSU’s indoor practice field.

He was then asked if he could elaborate. “It was good,” he answered.

With the one-and-done in college football, this interview could have been more fun two years ago at this time with that perfect season just over two months removed and devoid of the lingering injury questions.

“Injuries, trying to play through the foot injury, which affected his play, and very questionable defensive schemes by new defensive coordinators after Dave Aranda left took its toll,” Detillier said.

Stingley has never looked like he did in 2019. Neither has LSU, which fired coach Ed Orgeron less than two years after the national championship and replaced him with Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly.

“He’s well suited for a variety of zone coverages, but needs to play with much better zeal and toughness in run support,” NFL.com’s draft review stated. 

Stingley is out to prove that wrong, and it came up when he spoke with Los Angeles Chargers head coach Brandon Staley on Wednesday.

“He just told me his whole reason for coming out here was to see if I still had the determination and just the power to go out there and perform,” Stingley said. “When he saw it, he said that’s what he was waiting to see, and that’s what a lot of people are trying to see. They’re not worried about that. They know what I am.”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Glen Guilbeau is nothing but a sh*t stirrer. If he's right about anything its purely by accident.

I understand what you’re saying. But I look at what many say. I have a couple scouts I check with, taking their opinions. 

Per our conversation, he likes Sting, still in the first, but in that 10-20 range. Attending and working in the LSU Pro Day helped him. How he answered the questions, on missed games, could come into play, with some teams. He is a true talent, never a doubt. 

We also covered LSU Coach Kelly and assistants. He likes the direction of Kelly with the team, likes the hires of OC and DC. The hire of Polian is what he like the most. Knowing his Dad, Bill, the apple don’t fall far from the tree! The attention to detail within this staff, getting the most out of a practice. Kelly knows how to build a roster, Polian is one guy you want on your staff. 

• Like 2

We also talked about depth within the draft, Rush DE’s, OT and CB’s, are very deep. Not a great year to be looking for a QB, one that might go in the first round, might sit during the season. As with any draft, you don’t know who will catch a teams eye, who’s a reach, etc. 

“LSU went in the tank the last couple of years,” he said. “Sometimes you see on sinking teams that players kind of give up too and save themselves for the NFL. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what happened with Stingley. I think he’s going to be really good in our league.”

I have no idea if Stingley quit on us. But I wouldn’t want a player who quit on his team on mine.