Gameday Tigers

Sean Payton Stepping Down as Saints HC

Hatchertiger

I have an unpopular opinion of Sean Payton.

I would have fired his ass the minute this past season was over.

All the Saints had to to do make the playoffs this past season was to win the Monday Night Football game against the Dolphins on December 27th.  Instead they had 22 players forced to sit out of the game due to testing positive for Covid. Sean Payton himself narrowly missed being ruled out for the game as well.

These guys are paid millions of dollars per year to do one thing: whatever it takes to get into the playoffs and advance to(wards) the Super Bowl.

Instead, the culture of the team - from Sean Payton on down - was to disregard Covid protocols (probably including getting vaccinated at all) and put themselves at risk of exposure instead.

Any political talk about vaccines is irrelevant. If getting vaccinated significantly lowered their risk of missing the Monday Night Football game and getting the win to advance into the playoffs then that is what they should have done because ultimately that is what they are paid to do. If staying home instead of partying and living the "NFL lifestyle" reduced their risk of exposure and would have increased their chances to play in the Dolphins game and clinch their playoff slot, then that is what they should have done because ultimately that is what they are paid millions of dollars to do. If wearing a mask in public reduced their chances of exposure and lowered the risk of missing that MNF game, then that is what they should have done.

Payton has apparently caught Covid twice. That is almost statistically impossible for anyone that got their full vaccination plus a booster. I don't know his personal medical information but the external evidence suggests that he did not get vaccinated. He failed to do whatever it takes for him to advance his team into the playoffs.

All because of an overinflated sense of self instead of a sense of responsibility.

Ultimately, I think the Saints are better off without him.

• Like 1