Gameday Tigers

EDIT: Ed Ingram Charges Dropped, Reinstated

Hatchertiger

This is the sticky wicket world we live in. The reputation of the school has to be protected, yet due process must be allowed. Then throw in that we live in a world where words have no meaning. What if it were to turn out like this...

Two football players who were falsely accused of rape are now suing the school and the female student who made the claims against them.

Dhameer Bradley and Malik St. Hilaire are suing Sacred Heart University (SHU) and Nikki Yovino for slander and infliction of emotional distress over the false accusation. SHU suspended the students from the football team after the accusations, which turned out to be false, and say their scholarships were revoked (the school disputes this claim).

Yovino was already sentenced to (only) one year in prison for her crime, after a last-minute plea deal. She was facing up to six years in prison for second-degree false reporting of an incident and tampering with or fabricating physical evidence.

For rest of story:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/37766/she-lied-about-being-raped-now-men-she-accused-are-ashe-schow

update on an old case, she got out of jail a year ago.  That had to hurt.

"July 27, 2017 - Six years, five months and 11 days after she was sentenced to prison for trying to extort cash, cars and a house from University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino, Karen Cunagin Sypher’s sentence officially expires Friday. "

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2017/07/27/karen-syphers-sentence-extorting-rick-pitino-expires-but-shes-still-under-federal-supervision/516147001/

IMO, the mine field of players (or staff, for that matter) getting hit with serious charges, has got to be the biggest challenge for a coach. I mean, x's and o's and putting a product on the field, is not easy, and your job is on the line. When it come to these types of situations, someone's life and entire future are on the line.  There really is not room for error.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:26 AM, La Tigresse said:

This is the sticky wicket world we live in. The reputation of the school has to be protected, yet due process must be allowed. Then throw in that we live in a world where words have no meaning. What if it were to turn out like this...

Very very valid point.

And I absolutely agree with your point about due process. Justice needs to be thorough and applied evenly in all cases.

It's hard to read between the tea leaves in this case because the alleged victim was a minor and the details of the charges appear to be sealed. 

One thing that Ingram might be worried about is that these charges are in the very conservative state of Texas, so I doubt this is the result of an overly 'politically correct' prosecutor. This is also the state that brought the phenomenon of "Friday Night Lights" into the collective consciousness of America, so my guess is that when a home grown football star is involved, the preponderance of evidence to bring charges is probably higher.

The other worrisome aspect here is that child protective services were involved...does not bode well.

From LSU's perspective, they need to walk away from Ingram regardless.  Too many talented kids out there to let this stink tarnish the institution. 

Justice will be served.  There is no reason LSU needs to hitch its wagon to Ingram's star.

Move on.

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Ed Ingram is back listed on the roster. 

That is good news especially in light of the spotty o-line play in the spring game.  I saw Ika go after the QB, untouched right up the middle.  It looked like the guard went to the outside a little, and Ika went right between the guard and center, untouched.  Ed plays guard, so hopefully he could help there.

But Ed does not play tackle, and we had problems there.  With Deculus, you can't coach quick feet, either you have them or not.  With Traore going down, that could hurt.  I saw him limping unassisted on the sideline right after the hit, so I hope it is not very serious.

But I am very glad to see Ed rejoin the team.

• 4 months later...

Ed Orgeron provides update on Ed Ingram

ByBRAD CRAWFORD 3 hours ago 

LSU is expected to know the status of offensive lineman Ed Ingram, who has been suspended for a violation of team rules since last season, at any moment according to head coach Ed Orgeron.

Ingram started 12 games at guard as a four-star true freshman during the 2017 season before he was arrested on two counts of aggravated sexual assault in Dallas County, Texas, on Aug. 2, 2018. Orgeron suspended Ingram before the 2018 opener for a violation of team rules and the university is letting legal proceedings play out before bringing him back in a full capacity.

“We’re expecting to hear something this week," Orgeron said during Monday's appearance on SEC This Morning. "From what we’re hearing, things are going to be positive, but we’re waiting on the final say and that should be this week."

The Advocate reports Mike Howard, Ingram's attorney, says his client "is not guilty and is looking forward to his day in court." Ingram has been subpoenaed to appear in court for trial on Sept. 16 with pre-trial proceedings beginning on Sept. 13.

The nation's No. 13 guard in the 2017 class per the 247Sports Composite, Ingram was a difference-maker in his first season and would certainly bolster an offensive front that has played admirably early on this season for college football's fourth-ranked team.

Ingram spoke out after his suspension prior to the start of the 2018 season.

"I’m fine everyone," Ingram tweeted. "I appreciate all the support. I’m just gonna bounce back harder." 

He went on to add that he would "be back as soon as possible."

LSU is coming off college football's most impressive win of the season on Saturday night at Texas, an offensive explosion during a 45-38 decision. Senior quarterback Joe Burrow threw for 471 yards and four touchdowns, including a 61-yarder to Justin Jefferson in the final minutes that clinched the program's first-ever Top 10 win over a non-conference opponent on the road.

"Proud of our football team. Man, what an epic battle," Orgeron said. "Proud of Cade York going out there and making those field goals. Proud of the defense making that goal line stand. We don't stop them on the goal line we're dead. That's the difference in the ballgame.

"We were going to go four minutes, Steve said we can pass the ball and make some 1st downs. I said, go get it. And thank God he did, that 3rd down and 17 saved us. That was a great call and a great catch and what can we say about our quarterback."

1COMMENTS

It's scary to think the Tigers, who moved up to No. 4 in this week's AP Poll, can only get better in this new pass-centered attack.

"To win this game in that type of atmosphere gives us a lot of confidence in our football team, because you know what, we're going to come against some opponents just as good or better and we have to go on the road and win like that," Orgeron said. "But I think the more that (Burrow) matures in this offense, the better off we're going to be."

LSU lineman Ed Ingram announces his return to the team

Michael Wayne Bratton | 53 minutes ago

It appears that Ed Ingram is finally back on the team down in Baton Rouge.

The LSU offensive lineman tweeted the news out Monday morning before quickly deleting the tweet, but the message he put out there was very clear, “Guess what it’s official…. You miss me? #LSUFOREVER @LSUfootball #lsuoffense #imback”

ADVERTISEMENT

00:18

Ingram has not played since the 2017 season, as he was suspended for the entire 2018 season during LSU’s training camp leading up to the start of last season. He has been accused of sexual assault in Texas and LSU has suspended him since that time.

He was a starter on LSU’s offense line back in 2017 and could potentially work his way back into the lineup at guard, depending on his level of conditioning after so much time away from the game.

Ed Orgeron is scheduled to meet with the media on Monday and will undoubtedly be asked about Ingram’s status with the team looking ahead to the upcoming trip to Vanderbilt.

If you didn’t catch it, here was the tweet Ingram sent out:

Screen-Shot-2019-09-16-at-11.29.16-AM.pn

Ingram has since deleted his Tweet that is in the article that LSUDad posted. But it is looking positive for his return to action soon. The quote from coach O is from today. Don't know any of the facts but if there was a lesson for him to learn, I do hope he learned it:

“We had very positive news, nothing official, we have nothing official. I expect to hear something in the near future – the next couple of days,” Orgeron said. “When I do hear something official, I will let you guys know officially. But everything we are hearing is very positive and we should be hearing something in the next couple of days.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/ed-ingram-ed-orgeron-update-status/

Big boost to LSU's offensive line: Ed Ingram reinstated a year after arrest and suspension

Ed Orgeron says how LSU can fill void left by suspended Ed Ingram

LSU offensive lineman Saahdiq Charles (77) during practice for LSU football on campus on Tuesday, August 22, 2017. (Photo by Michael DeMocker, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)

LSU offensive guard Ed Ingram has been reinstated to the team, more than a year after he was suspended after an arrest in Dallas for alleged aggravated sexual assault, an LSU official told The Advocate Friday morning.

Ingram's attorney, Mike Howard, said last August that Ingram "is not guilty and is looking forward to his day in court."

Ingram was subpoenaed to appear in court for trial on Sept. 16 at 9 a.m., according to court documents.

The charges were dismissed, the LSU official said, and Ingram has been reinstated to the program.

"Our whole team and our #LSU family welcomes Ed Ingram back," LSU coach Ed Orgeron said in a statement. "He is an outstanding football player, an integral part of our football team and family and we are excited to have him back with us."

Ingram's return is a major boost to No. 4 LSU (3-0), a team with high postseason potential that has depth issues on its offensive line.

The court resolution comes more than a year after LSU coach Ed Orgeron suspended Ingram after learning the player had been arrested on two counts of aggravated sexual assault in Dallas County, Texas, on Aug. 2, 2018.

The details of the case are limited, since Texas attorney general Ken Paxton placed the case under official seal.

The Dallas County Sheriff's Office told The Advocate last year that it arrested Ingram, a native of DeSoto, Texas, on a warrant made by the DeSoto Police Department. The Police Department said that, on Aug. 22, 2017, it had received a report from Child Protective Services.

The victim was a minor, the DeSoto Police Department said, but it would not disclose the age.

It was not disclosed when the incident occurred, and CPS said it could not confirm the existence of the case because of state confidentiality laws. The Advocate requested additional records, but Paxton placed the case under official seal.

Ingram, a 6-foot-4, 314-pound sophomore from DeSoto, Texas, started in 12 games at right guard as a true freshman in 2017, and he remained near the team although he was suspended for the 2018 season.

Orgeron has said multiple times since the end of the season that he would welcome Ingram back to the team if charges are cleared.

"I think that maybe, maybe, if things go right, we may get him at some part of the season," Orgeron said on Aug. 1. "I don't know exactly when, but hopefully we get him at some part of the season... With the charges that he has, the school has to clear him, and it'd have to be that."

With Ingram's full reinstatement, the only technical barrier from playing in an official game is the NCAA's five-day acclimatization period. During the first two days, players can wear helmets. On the third and fourth days, they can wear helmets and shoulder pads. On the fifth day, they can participate in full pads.

Such a timeline pegs Ingram's full return to game play for LSU's home game against Utah State on Oct. 5, unless he begins practicing with the Tigers on Monday and goes full pads on Friday, which is unlikely, since the team only goes through walk-throughs on Fridays.

Depending on Ingram's command of the position after a year out of football, it is possible that he could push for the starting job at left guard. His regular position has been filled by senior Damien Lewis, who has started in 16 straight games and has received high praise from Orgeron.

Left guard has been an unstable position ever since former guard Garrett Brumfield suffered a leg injury against Louisiana Tech in the fourth game of the 2018 season.

LSU, which didn't field the same starting offensive line in consecutive weeks until the seventh game against Georgia, replaced Brumfield with three different linemen, including Adrian Magee and Chasen Hines.

Magee and Hines entered the offseason in a position battle, and Magee took the lead when Hines, a 6-foot-3, 336-pound sophomore, underwent offseason knee surgery and missed spring football.

Magee has started at left guard in all three games of the 2019 season, and Hines has appeared in two games against Georgia Southern and Northwestern State.

Ingram's return provides depth at the position, which lost true freshman guard and Baton Rouge native Kardell Thomas, who suffered an ankle injury in preseason camp that required surgery. Orgeron has said it is unlikely that Thomas will return this season.

LSU next plays at Vanderbilt on Sept. 21 at 11 a.m.

24 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Dad, or anyone.  The last time Ingram played was in the Matt Canada offense.  How big will the adjustment be to this new fangled spread offense be for him to pick up?

I see no problems, remember he started as a True Freshman. He will start from scratch, within this offense. He will have guys on either side, letting him know what to do if he has questions. Getting back into the swing of things, he will be all eyes and ears. Working him in slowly will be the key. 

So...again I jumped to a conclusion before all of the facts were in. (Happens all of the time, but sometimes my passion overtakes reason.)

Ed Ingram...massive apologies for my knee jerk reaction that LSU should move on from you. Hope you thrive off and on the field.

Now, let's get you ready for a great career at LSU!!!!

We still don't know all the facts. I hope that a IF there was a lesson for him to learn that he learned it.  Flip side of that is that IF  there was nothing to the charges sure is a shame it disrupted his life like it did.  Charges dropped so there is certainly no reason he shouldn't be on the team. From a purely football standpoint, he can obviously help out. I guess by FL the line could look like: Charles, Ingram, Cush, Lewis, & Deculus.

16 hours ago, houtiger said:

Dad, or anyone.  The last time Ingram played was in the Matt Canada offense.  How big will the adjustment be to this new fangled spread offense be for him to pick up?

this one is a simpler offense than the Canada scheme. 

vast majority of these kids play in a similar offense to this scheme in high school. 

LSU OL Ed Ingram returns to practice for first time in more than a year

opjwk2o717stzmnmlror

p2wggcj9eoeatm3bdkzqRon Higgins • TigerDetails

After two days off, LSU’s first of three open date week practices Tuesday afternoon was highlighted by the return of former starting offensive lineman Ed Ingram.

Ingram, who started 12 games as a freshman in 2017, was suspended all of last season after was arrested on two counts of aggravated sexual assault in Dallas County, Texas, on Aug. 2, 2018.

Last week, the charges were dropped, he was reinstated to the squad and he was given a rousing welcome by his teammates in a team meeting prior to Tuesday’s practice.

“Our team had a little pep in their step,” Orgeron said in a Tuesday post-practice press conference. “They all cheered when we announced he was back today.

“He looked fantastic. He’s been working out, he’s lost weight. He gives us a sense of confidence upfront and gives us a sense we can do some things upfront with other guys to give us more depth.”

Orgeron said his “gut feeling” is that Ingram will be ready to play when the unbeaten No. 4 Tigers resume their schedule against Utah State on Oct. 5 in an 11 a.m. Tiger Stadium kickoff.

The Tigers are already shifting players into spots vacated because of injuries that will sideline previous starters for an extended period of time.

For instance, tight end Stephen Sullivan is being moved to wide receiver while Terrace Marshall heals a stress foot fracture.

“I think it will be good for Stephen and good for our team,” Orgeron said. “He can catch those crossing routes, he has a big catch radius, he’s been in big games, he’s hard to cover 1-on-1 and he runs good routes. I think it’s going to be his time and he’s going to play.”

Oregron also said he didn’t think injured defensive linemen Rashard Lawrence, Glen Logan and K’Lavon Chaisson will be ready for the Utah State game.

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

how the hell are the charges just “dropped”. 

i mean kid just lost basically a year of his life on a “ehhh, nevermind”?

It's what happens when you get "put into the system".  Look at Lael Collins, he lost several million dollars just because the sheriff wanted to question him, never had charges filed.

23 minutes ago, houtiger said:

It's what happens when you get "put into the system".  Look at Lael Collins, he lost several million dollars just because the sheriff wanted to question him, never had charges filed.

nah, that was different.

sheriff said from beginning that he wasn’t a suspect, just wanted to ask questions. NFL teams got scared for no reason. 

this kid however had actually charges against him. serious charges and facing jail time. 

and then, “we was just fornicating with ya, move along now”

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

nah, that was different.

sheriff said from beginning that he wasn’t a suspect, just wanted to ask questions. NFL teams got scared for no reason. 

this kid however had actually charges against him. serious charges and facing jail time. 

and then, “we was just fornicating with ya, move along now”

Regarding Lael, how many times has someone gone in for questioning and police said they were not a suspect, and later they did become a suspect?  Enough times that no NFL team would touch him until the questioning was over and he still was not a suspect.  Then the draft was over and Lael was undrafted.  Lael did issue one threat to the teams, if he did not go by a certain round, don't take him because he would sit out the year and enter the following year.  That left him a free agent and he could pick his team, which was Dallas.  Jerry Jones has treated him fair.

Re: Ingram, it could be a couple of things.  Ingram's defense may have talked about a strong defense that the prosecutors backed off.  Or, the girls family may have wanted something more than they wanted a conviction, and just prior to the trial date, they got it and decided to drop the charges.

Archived