Gameday Tigers

Moving On, Going Forward

Fishhead

I'm not talking about Arkansas, Rice, and TAMU

This looks a little like the 70s. LSU is a good team, LSU cannot beat Alabama. 

We've discussed the need of a legitimate offensive mind calling plays and developing QBs. 

What we've also realized is we have to find linemen capable of competing against the best in the country. Every year. It's the only way to win our own division. 

The problem is, those players exist in Louisiana, and they enjoy wearing crimson. 

Saban is a great coach, but a better recruiter. And as was stated in another thread, he's singling LSU out. Why? Because he more than anyone knows Louisiana is a gold mine of football talent and nobody else has a chance to get that talent but LSU. 

As for O, he knows talent as well. He offered Tua late in the process, like right when he was hired full time.  We complained, since it nearly resulted in losing brennan and/or narcisse.  Well, here we are. Brennan is a non-factor, narcisse is gone, and Tua is a national champ winning QB about to win the Heisman. 

Maybe O knows best? Walking into Tiger Stadium with Tua's little brother is bold. But if we wanna get out of the 70s, something has to change. Unfortunately, to the victors go the spoils is right more often than not. But I'll give O credit for having the balls to go after the big fish when nobody else will. The fact he's after the same guys Saban wants is positive. 

Gotta start reeling them in. 

10 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Maybe O knows best? Walking into Tiger Stadium with Tua's little brother is bold. But if we wanna get out of the 70s, something has to change. Unfortunately, to the victors go the spoils is right more often than not. But I'll give O credit for having the balls to go after the big fish when nobody else will. The fact he's after the same guys Saban wants is positive. 

Gotta start reeling them in. 

Yeah.

And, unfortunately, my recurring thought this morning is that we paid for a lot of recruits we want and need to attend the game for official recruiting visits only to show them how great Alabama is and how far behind we are.

7 minutes ago, Herb said:

Yeah.

And, unfortunately, my recurring thought this morning is that we paid for a lot of recruits we want and need to attend the game for official recruiting visits only to show them how great Alabama is and how far behind we are.

I had that thought last night. Knowing there were recruits there taking notes of why to go to Tuscaloosa U, instead, was the hardest part to stomach.

4 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

There were actually zero official visits last night. 

Really?

I thought I heard the announcers say there was a large number of recruits in for the game, including Tua's younger brother that Eaux walked onto the field with.

Were all of those just not "official"?

I saw an interesting interview with Tua.  They asked him how he made the choice to attend GumpTurds.  He said he did not make the choice, his father made the choice.  He said in the Hawaiian culture it is all about respect for your parents.  They are older and wiser and you know they have your best interests at heart.  So, his father picked GumpTurds for Tua to attend.  I don't think LSU has a shot at Lil Brother. 

this is a conversation that should have taken place in 2016, not November of ‘18. 

who are we, and who do we want to be?

the who are we:

we’re a pretty good football team. average somewhere around the 10 win mark. prolly go to a decent bowl game more often than not. but honestly speaking, we are not a legitimate threat to win a national title. 

Im not saying actually win it. I’m saying a true legitimate threat to win it.

who do we want to be?

do we want to be what i described above?

if so, we wasted a lot of damn money to still be what we have been for a while now.  And anyone who is truly being honest with themselves has to admit that’s our ceiling at the moment.

or do we want to be a true contender and threat to win titles.  to step on the field against literally anyone else in the country and honestly have at least a 50/50 shot at winning?

If the goal really and truly is to consistently field a championship caliber team, then WHOLESALE changes need to be made. But they needed to be made 2 years ago. Because now you’re in a spot where making any changes will not look good at all. 

What weve been doing hasnt worked. It will continue to not work.  Plain and simple. 

so our way of fixing it was to keep basically the entire staff (minus a couple) that put together they system that doesn’t work. 

SURPRISE!  the same basic staff we’ve had for several years now has us in the same place we’ve been for several years now.  Who would have every guessed that?

look, I love Aranda. I hope he stays here a long time. But we were so terrified of losing a DC that we short changed ourselves on the complete sweep that was needed.  

Saban absolutely has a machine going right now and for the foreseeable future.  No doubts or questions about that. 

Does anyone out there honestly and truly believe that we have come even close to building the right staff to even try to catch them? Or to really bring something to the table on the offensive side of the ball that puts us even in the conversation?

Thats a serious question. 

we hired a Head Coach with zero offensive background. 

our OC hadn’t installed his own offense since Bill Clinton was President.

a WR coach who had never been on a college staff

we brought in new offensive analysts. 3 of the 4 that were hired this offseason are currently in their 1st year ever on any coaching staff at the collegiate or NFL level. 

thats 60% of people we list as offensive analysts with ZERO coaching experience at all.

throw in Kragthorpe who has been in that role since 2011.  You know the guy who as been in that role during the entirety of our current Alabama funk.  

Thats 80% of our analysts.

Does this honestly look like the staff it takes to even TRY to catch Alabama?

23 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I saw an interesting interview with Tua.  They asked him how he made the choice to attend GumpTurds.  He said he did not make the choice, his father made the choice.  He said in the Hawaiian culture it is all about respect for your parents.  They are older and wiser and you know they have your best interests at heart.  So, his father picked GumpTurds for Tua to attend.  I don't think LSU has a shot at Lil Brother. 

1. Not the point. Point being O recognizes the best talent. 

2. Maybe the parents see living up to his brother's legacy at GumpTurds may prove too difficult. Who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

1. Not the point. Point being O recognizes the best talent. 

I think he does also.  And, he seems willing to put LSU in the hunt for the best kids in the nation.  He sees what we have to do to compete with GumpTurds.  He talked about Buggs on the GumpTurds DL, said he recruited him hard (I remember that), but lost him to GumpTurds.  He knows the challenge.  

But as they say, if you don't get in the batter's box, you can't hit a home run.

They showed a graphic last night on TV, GumpTurds has had 22 first round draft picks the last 2 years, all over the place on offense and defense.  That edge is why they beat us.  Do we have talent?  Yes.  Is it elite?  In isolated spots.  GumpTurds has elite talent in many more spots.

14 minutes ago, houtiger said:

They showed a graphic last night on TV, GumpTurds has had 22 first round draft picks the last 2 years

Nah, that's not even possible. 22 draft picks, not first rounders. But still...

But the effect is the same. LSU had the "problem" of losing too many to the draft until a few years ago, say 2012. We don't have that kind of talent at this point. 

17 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I think he does also.  And, he seems willing to put LSU in the hunt for the best kids in the nation.  He sees what we have to do to compete with GumpTurds.  He talked about Buggs on the GumpTurds DL, said he recruited him hard (I remember that), but lost him to GumpTurds.  He knows the challenge.  

But as they say, if you don't get in the batter's box, you can't hit a home run.

They showed a graphic last night on TV, GumpTurds has had 22 first round draft picks the last 2 years, all over the place on offense and defense.  That edge is why they beat us.  Do we have talent?  Yes.  Is it elite?  In isolated spots.  GumpTurds has elite talent in many more spots.

Saban and Alabama has lost 8 games since the last time we beat them. 

at least 6 of those 8 were against less talented teams (and arguably all 8).  Most had significantly less. 

we’ve lost the last 3 to them by a combined score of 63-10. 

we have had the lead for exactly 0:00 over that stretch. 

do they have more talent than us? yes. 

is it so ridiculously lopsided talent gap that we haven’t even been a threat to win since 2014?   fornicate NO!

sorry, but that’s a fact. 

Just now, Fishhead said:

You may have misunderstood me. I'm just saying their defensive line is way better than ours. Their linebackers and their defensive backs are not 

oh i agree they damn good.

and even being one of Saban’s weaker Defenses is not really a knock. They’re still very good, just not at the same level we normally see from his teams.

but we ended the night with 12 yards rushing. 

TWELVE. 

T

W

E

L

V

E

going into the 4th quarter, I had more rushing yards than the entire LSU offense.

and that not an exageration or a lie. 

Nutriaitch, who was in the Stadium but did not dress out, literally had more rushing yards against Alabama through 3 quarters than the entire LSU offense.

you will never ever ever convince me that the talent gap is that damn large. period. 

here is a list of teams that had more success running the ball against Alabama in 2018 than LSU did:

E425F289-DA76-4C0A-86F7-56063874233F.thumb.jpeg.b075b552b04e68d6aff568dff955af05.jpeg

now here is the complete list of those teams with better talent than LSU:

any other questions?

I think our defense with Aranda is holding their own.  We held them down pointwise even when gassed.  They scored fewer points on us than any other team.  We also kept them from scoring on first drive and gave Tua his first interception. We did that with our 3 and 4 stars.  But I totally agree we need a new Offensive staff and a head coach who can figure out how to scheme against them.  We got rid of a championship coach for worse results, as Nootch pointed out.  And we also need to start above said head coach in cleaning house.

9 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I think our defense with Aranda is holding their own.  We held them down pointwise even when gassed.  They scored fewer points on us than any other team.  We also kept them from scoring on first drive and gave Tua his first interception. We did that with our 3 and 4 stars.  But I totally agree we need a new Offensive staff and a head coach who can figure out how to scheme against them.  We got rid of a championship coach for worse results, as Nootch pointed out.  And we also need to start above said head coach in cleaning house.

i love Aranda. 

would love to keep him for a very very long time. 

but if we happen lose him as collateral damage during a clean sweep, i think we can still land another damn strong DC. 

hell he’s the 4 th different guy to produce a top 5 D at LSU in the last 15 years. 

On 11/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, Fishhead said:

What we've also realized is we have to find linemen capable of competing against the best in the country. Every year. It's the only way to win our own division. 

i re-watched most of the first half last night. mainly wanted to see a few plays from that half that swung the momentum.

LSU had just forced Alabama to punt on their first possession. That’s a win for us.

We quickly get a first down. We used quick slants and hitches. 3 steps and release. Things are looking great.

1st and 10, we call a screen to brossette, but it get sniffed out and joe throws it away. Not ideal, but still not terrible.

2nd and 10, we run a sweep to left side of the line. Alabama rushes 3 at the snap. TE and LT immediately engage the DE ; LG and C immediately engage the DT.  LB splits the gap untouched to blow it up in backfield.  4 guys to block 2. nobody saw or touched the free LB. Despite having the numbers advantage. No person was beat on the play. Just straight never saw him.

3 and 14. Burrow takes a 7 step drop. As he’s getting set, here comes the pressure. 4 seconds have ticked off the game clock betwee the snap and him coming out of his drop back to see the pressure.  THAT is entirely too much time for a play to develop.

we punt, GumpTurds responds with a TD.

Archived