Gameday Tigers

Les Miles to KU?

Dru

Other details from the signed deal: Neither side has a buyout, meaning if Miles or KU wants out of the agreement early, it would owe the other side an amount equal to money remaining on the contract.

Miles also gets incentive payments for accomplishments like making the national championship game ($1 million), winning Big 12 coach of the year ($50,000) or having the football program’s GPA above 2.65 ($25,000).

Perhaps the most fascinating incentive is Miles receiving a “one-year, one-time, rollover extension” if he wins six games in a season.

I saw some of Les's intro new conference at KU this afternoon.  He mostly sounded good, but a couple of times, he wanted to express a thought, and he just froze up in front of the crowd, searching for the words to express his thought.  It was not pretty.  He has a strange pattern of speech that we got used to and liked, but I never saw him lock up the way he did today.  It could be he is out of practice, or something worse.  Time will tell.

4 hours ago, houtiger said:

I saw some of Les's intro new conference at KU this afternoon.  He mostly sounded good, but a couple of times, he wanted to express a thought, and he just froze up in front of the crowd, searching for the words to express his thought.  It was not pretty.  He has a strange pattern of speech that we got used to and liked, but I never saw him lock up the way he did today.  It could be he is out of practice, or something worse.  Time will tell.

I just watched the full presser...it looked like he was getting emotional to me and losing his train of thought. He steered it back to focus towards the end of the presser. One of the quesitons he stumbled on was with Dennis Dodd...might be interesting to see if he writes about that.

A lot more folks suspect something worse.  From a KU forum:

Right, I remember hearing the quote about Miles giving "bad interviews." But it never bothered me. Wasn't LSU in effect paying him to have bad interviews?

But now I'm concerned. Old people (usually much older than 65) with cognitive issues and short term memory loss are the only ones I know with those sickeningly elongated pauses, as if they are slipping through a hole, before finally landing upon, not the right word, but the wrong one, or something vague, like "things."

At the end of the miles-long pause, Miles says, ".....things."

http://boards.kusports.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2035820#Post2035820

Maybe I am wrong, but after the scare CLM had with fluid on his brain, he a) doesn't take chances, and b) understands the importance of family time.

If it were health, I think he would be taking care of that instead of looking for a coaching job. If it were early onset alzheimers (or something to that effect) I think he would opt for time with family.

Les loves Baton Rouge and LSU. He have a lot of support to other programs and to the city. I can see emotional to the point of having to stop talking. 

45 minutes ago, La Tigresse said:

Les loves Baton Rouge and LSU. He have a lot of support to other programs and to the city. I can see emotional to the point of having to stop talking. 

When watching the press conference and I got to that point in the tape, my 1st thought was that the enormity of the moment got to him and he lost his train of thought. There were really only 2 moments I saw in the interview where he "lost his place on the page".

I really hope that was all that it was.  Les is a good man and I think Kansas made a great hire.

13 hours ago, Herb said:

When watching the press conference and I got to that point in the tape, my 1st thought was that the enormity of the moment got to him and he lost his train of thought. There were really only 2 moments I saw in the interview where he "lost his place on the page".

I really hope that was all that it was.  Les is a good man and I think Kansas made a great hire.

It appears to be a more than losing his train of thought, he is completely of he rails. No sure what to make of it, could be exhausted from all the travel and negotiations surrounding the hiring, dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

Miles hires former LSU player Chevis Jackson to be DB coach at Kansas:

Les Miles makes first assistant coach hire: Chevis Jackson

BY JESSE NEWELL

jnewell@kcstar.com

December 02, 2018 11:01 PM

Updated 7 hours 43 minutes ago

LAWRENCE 

Les Miles certainly will have familiarity with his first assistant coaching hire as Kansas’ football coach.

Chevis Jackson, who played for Miles at LSU from 2004-07, will be the team’s cornerbacks coach next season. KU announced the move Sunday night, making Jackson the first official member of Miles’ staff.

Jackson spent the last three seasons coaching cornerbacks at Ball State. In 2017, he was chosen Mid-American Conference recruiter of the year by 247Sports.

“Chevis is one of the top young coaches in the game,” Miles said. “He works hard to make a positive impact both on and off the field with the student-athletes he works with. He knows what it takes to be successful on the greatest stage in college football and will help instill that mindset to our program.”

Jackson started three years at cornerback for LSU and was a senior when the Tigers won the national championship in the 2007-08 season. He also played four seasons in the NFL from 2008-11 with five different teams.

Miles has not hired any other staff members yet, meaning he is still in search of both an offensive and defensive coordinator.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Herb said:

Les Miles' first Kansas recruiting class on pace to be program's worst ever

It was a disaster when he showed up.  Article said they only had one commitment when Les showed up, late in the cycle.  He did good to sign 9 guys so far.  I wish him success also.

2 minutes ago, houtiger said:

It was a disaster when he showed up.  Article said they only had one commitment when Les showed up, late in the cycle.  He did good to sign 9 guys so far.  I wish him success also.

I remember his 1st recruiting class here.  The ranks was really bumped up by Perrilloux signing but it was arguably Les' worst class as LSU HC.

I wish him success also.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:00 AM, Herb said:

I remember his 1st recruiting class here.  The ranks was really bumped up by Perrilloux signing but it was arguably Les' worst class as LSU HC.

I wish him success also.

To be fair i believe we only signed 13 players in 2005

Archived