Gameday Tigers

LSU nutrition program under Brian Kelly

houtiger

This is something we don't hear much about, but I remember when Kelly assembled his staff, he brought in a new guy, maybe with a couple of helpers.  I remember a few games through the Miles and O years where people said it looked like LSU got tired in the 4th quarter.  A couple of years I remember lack of depth was the issue and we were not able to rotate the linemen, on offense or defense.  Folks did question Moffitt at times.  But, could it have been the nutrition program.  It's something we have no insight into.  We heard Will Campbell gained 15 lbs. from Jan. to the start of spring camp, how much is weight lifting vs nutrition.

If you see an article or hear something, let us know.  Sounds like it was an area for improvement.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From Dandy Don today:

• Congratulations to LSU’s Will Campbell for making 247Sports’ Preseason True Freshman All-American team. “Campbell had a strong spring for the Tigers, earning a large share of the first-team reps, and that’s only continued this fall,” writes Chris Hummer of 247Sports. “The 6-foot-6 lineman has put on 25 pounds since arriving on campus (he’s up to 325) and has all the makings of a future all-conference player for the Tigers.

I'm impressed!  He arrived at 300 in Jan., started spring camp in March at 315 and some of the writers said he physically looked different.  Now he's at 325.  I'm going to assume it's all muscle.  Some of it he has to be genetically gifted, but I gotta believe some of the gain is due to the weight lifting program and the nutrition program.  I guess some of it is his age, at 18 you are still growing a lot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

From Dandy Don today:

• Congratulations to LSU’s Will Campbell for making 247Sports’ Preseason True Freshman All-American team. “Campbell had a strong spring for the Tigers, earning a large share of the first-team reps, and that’s only continued this fall,” writes Chris Hummer of 247Sports. “The 6-foot-6 lineman has put on 25 pounds since arriving on campus (he’s up to 325) and has all the makings of a future all-conference player for the Tigers.

I'm impressed!  He arrived at 300 in Jan., started spring camp in March at 315 and some of the writers said he physically looked different.  Now he's at 325.  I'm going to assume it's all muscle.  Some of it he has to be genetically gifted, but I gotta believe some of the gain is due to the weight lifting program and the nutrition program.  I guess some of it is his age, at 18 you are still growing a lot.

yeah definitely a combination of genes, still maturing into his adult body, and the new S&C and nutrition program

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think we have to say, it appears the strength, conditioning and nutrition appear to be helping out.  When LSU needed to ram the run down Ole Miss throat to end the game, they did it.  I don't think they could do that in the first half, but in the second half they were kicking ass, and as Charles Barkley used to say, the ass kicking business was good today!  BK has changed a lot about the culture.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I can remember games in recent years where LSU linemen had hands on hips and were gasping for air.  Sometimes, particularly against Gumps, it seemed we were not in as good a shape as our opponent.  I don't see that this year.  The team's conditioning has definitely improved in my eye.  BK made that happen, brought in new people, enforced some discipline on the team as to what they eat.

11 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I can remember games in recent years where LSU linemen had hands on hips and were gasping for air.  Sometimes, particularly against Gumps, it seemed we were not in as good a shape as our opponent.  I don't see that this year.  The team's conditioning has definitely improved in my eye.  BK made that happen, brought in new people, enforced some discipline on the team as to what they eat.

100% agree.

We are a much better conditioned team, thanks to the new strength and conditioning staff.  This is something you've brought up several times and I am just fully appreciating you pointing out the implications of this.

We have also had - as far as I can tell - significantly fewer injuries. That is something the S&C program has a direct hand in but also is a result of better coaching where players are playing with better technique.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herb said:

100% agree.

We are a much better conditioned team, thanks to the new strength and conditioning staff.  This is something you've brought up several times and I am just fully appreciating you pointing out the implications of this.

We have also had - as far as I can tell - significantly fewer injuries. That is something the S&C program has a direct hand in but also is a result of better coaching where players are playing with better technique.

At the beginning of the season I didn't know how this would work out, it was new.  But, I remembered our players looking tired in the 4th quarter in the past, so a change could be a positive and help us win a couple of games that we might have lost in prior years.  As it turns out, I could not have hoped for a better outcome.  That part of the staff seems to have done their job.  The team seems to still have plenty of fight left in them in the second half, and in the 4th quarter in particular they seem capable of kicking the other teams ass.

Geaux Tigers!!!

• Like 3