Gameday Tigers

Tigers in the NFL

houtiger

Some of Giants fans comments on OBJ trade:

"I'll take it. If he hadn't been so injury prone I'd be upset but the guy can't make it through a full season and his contract was franchise crushing. "

" Terrible compensation.  Very disappointed in losing OBJ, especially for this small return. "

" You were a polarizing player where fans either loved you or hated you. I always saw you as a passionate young man who spoke his mind and left nothing on the field. Some people don’t like an outspoken young man who doesn’t fit the profile. Apparently that starts with the Head Coach and the GM.

I can’t help but really like this young man. I didn’t agree with some of his antics but I saw an effort to grow as a man. He’s one of the best players to ever put on a Giants uniform. Just a lovable guy.

Ultimately he probably took a huge pay cut leaving the New York Market to go the Cleveland. Cousins live in Cleveland. Yet, with Baker Mayfield he may just have a career year and set receiving records.

I wish you well!
"

" I honestly think the Giants (and probably OBJ) would have been much better off if that one hand catch didn't turn him into a super star. "

" Crucifying OBJ for being a nut on the sidelines during the game is craziness. He was a nut, but he was our nut. Fans are treating him worse than LT, and Lawrence did much worse. Did OBJ exceed the proper ratio of improper behavior to accomplishment on the field to some fans? I could care less if he dressed up in drag and ran down the turnpike, as long as he was catching TD's on sunday and not hurting anyone. "

" I don't love or hate Odell. I think he's a great and exciting player and I didn't agree with some of the criticism he received here.

I understand emotions are high right now, but I think this has the potential to be a positive move for all involved. The Giants seem to be accepting that they need a real rebuild. Odell gets to go to play with his best friend and not waste his prime on that rebuild. "

Article on OBJ trade:

"He had become too much of a pain in the ass," said one source familiar with the situation. "And there was a real fear that eventually it would get worse."

That is as good an explanation for any for why the Giants sent the 26-year-old Beckham to the Cleveland Browns on Tuesday night for a first-round pick (17th overall), a third-round pick and safety Jabrill Peppers. It was "absolutely not a football decision," according to one team source. The Giants are well aware that replacing Beckham on the field might be impossible.

But off the field they had grown tired of dealing with his headaches, and as Gettleman explained to reporters at the NFL scouting combine two weeks ago, "part of the responsibility of a general manager is to eliminate distractions." Beckham had become a lightning rod in New York, and no matter how the Giants tried to manage him, they couldn't keep him out of the spotlight.

Also, they did not feel he was truly happy playing in New York and for a Giants franchise that was struggling, one source said. And after seeing the way Antonio Brown forced his way out of Pittsburgh over the last few months, there was a worry that in a year or two - especially if the Giants and their quarterback continued to struggle -- Beckham could go that route, too.

So they listened to offers on and off for the last year, hoping to get something close to two first-round picks in return, multiple sources said. The Browns only had one to offer, but when they were willing to throw in Peppers - a player the Giants loved in the 2017 draft - Gettleman convinced everyone it was time to move.

It wasn't supposed to happen this way, of course. After Shurmur was hired as the new Giants' head coach in January 2018, he did everything he could to build a relationship with Beckham at a difficult time in the receiver's career. Beckham was rehabbing from the ankle injury that cost him most of the 2017 season, and was doing it mostly in Los Angeles. He also wanted a new contract and negotiations hadn't gotten anywhere, which led him to be distant from the team.

Not long after that, the famous video came out of him in bed in Paris with a woman, a pizza, and what looked to many like marijuana. The Giants, from the owners on down, were furious at him. That's when they started listening to trade offers and refused to commit to him being on the 2018 team.

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/odell-beckham-jr-trade-why-giants-decided-to-deal-pain-in-the-ass-receiver/305138080

Former Bills DT Kyle Williams qualifies for U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 12, 2019, 12:26 AM EDT
gettyimages-1052132354-e1552363681286.jp
Getty Images

Just because he’s done playing football doesn’t mean former Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Kyle Williams is done competing.

Williams and playing partner Greg Berthelot earned a spot in the 2019 U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship at Bandon Dunes by combining to shoot an 8-under par 64 at the Country Club of Louisiana on Monday.

The four-ball championship is a relatively new addition to the USGA’s championship slate. The championship was first held in 2015 and is a two-man, best-ball format. It’s composed of 128 teams of two that play 36 holes of stroke play before the top 32 teams move to match play.

Williams shot a 6-over 78 while Berthelot shot a 3-under 69. Their 8-under combined score won the qualifier by two shots over three teams that combined for 6-under 66 scores. All three of those teams also qualified for the championship. The tournament is open to anyone with a handicap of 5.4 or better.

Williams announced his retirement from the Bills at the end of last season after 13 years with in Buffalo.

The 2019 U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship will be held May 24-29 at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort in Bandon, Ore. on the Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald courses.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How Raiders rookie Foster Moreau could make impact with run-blocking 

Raiders tight ends coach Frank Smith went to bat for Foster Moreau. He worked the LSU product out privately after seeing him up close in the Senior Bowl, and kept telling his bosses Moreau was worthy of a draft pick despite pedestrian college receiving totals.

Smith said he had great character and versatile talents capable of fitting in well with what the Raiders like to do offensively.

General manager Mike Mayock and coach Jon Gruden listened to Smith, and took Moreau in the fourth round of April's draft. Now that he’s in Silver and Black, let’s take a closer look at what Moreau could provide during his rookie year.

Foster Moreau

Draft slot: No. 137 overall (Fourth round)
Position: Tight end
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 253 pounds
School: Louisiana State

Skill set

Moreau wore the prestigious No. 18 at LSU, a great statement about his leadership and character. He’s a tough guy on the field, and a capable and committed in-line run blocker. He’s technically sounds entering the pros, with good footwork and functional strength to help in the run game. He can move well and make blocks down field as well, which should help in the Raiders blocking scheme.

He’s a competitive receiver, willing to fight for contested receptions. He’s not great creating separation in routes, lacking athleticism that other tight ends have in order to be a dynamic element of the passing game.

Training camp proving ground

The Raiders like Moreau’s willingness to do often thankless jobs, including special-teams work and run-blocking. He must prove a versatile talent and standout in a competitive position group with more deserving players than roster spots.

Moreau’s youth and draft status make him a virtual lock on the 53-man roster, but he’ll still have to earn his spot with a solid preseason and training camp by doing little things right to contribute along the offensive front. He'll also need to prove worthy of targets in the passing game.

Best-case scenario

The Raiders released chief blocking tight endLee Smith, and that important role must be filled. Moreau will have a chance to contribute right away there, assuming he fares better than the veterans of similar stature with more experience working in the trenches.

That would make tight-end roster selection easier if Moreau can play right away, and streamline a position group that might march into the regular season with only three members -- maybe four, at maximum.

He should step in on kick coverage, while working to develop as an offensive threat as an in-line player.

Worst-case scenario

Moreau struggles to establish himself in training camp and falls down on the depth chart. The Raiders should have several worthy players at the position, even though few have name recognition. The LSU product doesn’t want to rely on his draft status to land a spot, though it’ll help him if training camp doesn’t go well.

If he struggles in the run game right away, he might end up inactive on game days and a non-contributor in his rookie year.

Realistic expectations

The fact that Moreau’s a grinder and technically savvy should help his transition to NFL life. He should find ways to contribute right away, even if he won’t fill up a stat sheet. The Raiders don’t need him to, with Darren Waller serving as the primary receiving tight end.

Moreau can move around the formation, and could be a surprise third-down or red zone target, taking advantage of coverage focused elsewhere. Quarterback Derek Carr found Smith and Derek Carrier in those instances last year, meaning Moreau could get similar moments in the sun in 2019.

• Like 1

Who will be the Panthers’ breakout defensive star in 2019? Here’s my candidate

JULY 05, 2019 11:23 AM, UPDATED JULY 06, 2019 04:50 PM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Play Video

For the Carolina Panthers to exceed expectations this season, they must improve from within. 

Acquiring some key free agents has helped – center Matt Paradis, defensive tackle Gerald McCoy and defensive end/linebacker Bruce Irvin all could shore up the trenches. The Panthers will also get some aid from their draft picks.

But the way NFL teams really get better faster is for a number of young players to suddenly take a leap in the same season, the way Christian McCaffrey did in 2019.

So who could be this year’s McCaffrey on the defensive side of the ball?

I nominate cornerback Donte Jackson.

Entering only his second NFL season, Jackson is the Panthers’ speedy chatterbox.

“I’m always talking,” he said. “I’m very loud, very outspoken and just like to have fun.”

Jackson made a number of mistakes as a rookie starter in 2019, but he also made a team-high four interceptions. His starting cornerback counterpart James Bradberry got his hands on the ball more often (20 passes defensed for Bradberry, compared to only seven for Jackson). But Jackson made the most of his chances – his interception total was greater than the rest of the Panthers’ cornerbacks combined.

All four of those picks came in the Panthers’ first eight games, however, when the team went 6-2. Jackson didn’t make another one after that, and the Panthers plummeted to a 1-7 record in the final eight games and missed the playoffs for the second time in three years. 

“It was really tough,” Jackson said of the second half of the 2018 season. “We’ve got a team full of competitors, guys who want to win. So to come up short? It sucks.”

‘THE MENTAL ASPECT’

Jackson is a burner, with 4.3 speed in the 40 that impresses everyone. However, he also gets burned himself, either by incorrectly gambling on a route or not being clear on what the offense is about to do. The cornerback from LSU -- who finished second in a recent 40-yard dash tournament against other NFL players -- said one thing he wants to improve in his second year is “the mental aspect.”

“Knowing what to expect from certain formations and certain receivers,” Jackson said. “And probably trying to get my head in the (play)book a little more.”

Jackson started all 16 games as a rookie. He’s still trying to wrap his head around being called a veteran player now.

“Obviously, the guys ask for a little more out of me this year,” Jackson said. “I kind of have a bigger role in the defense, even though I played a big role as a rookie. The older guys are really looking at me like a veteran leader now. So that’s kind of something different for me to get used to.”

His advice for the 2019 rookies sounds a lot like the sort of advice Josh Norman used to give younger defensive backs when Norman was a Panther. 

“Just get your swagger,” Jackson said. “Most of the guys were the big guy on campus at their college. So now it’s really just trying to get that swagger and just bring that same confidence out here.”

LOOKING FOR ‘PICK SIX’

Jackson said he has spent much of the summer “chilling with my daughter,” who turned 1 in June. “She’s been running since she was eight months,” Jackson said. “I’m looking forward to one day getting her on somebody’s track team.”

In the meantime, Jackson will use his own speed and swagger. I love his potential – if he can cut down on the mistakes.

CLT_PANTHERS_SAINTS_13.JPG Carolina Panthers cornerback Donte Jackson had a rare “pick two” against New Orleans in 2018, scoring after he intercepted Drew Brees’ two-point conversion attempt. Jeff SinerJSINER@CHARLOTTEOBSERVER.COM

Speaking of potential, what was probably Jackson’s best play in 2018 didn’t even officially count as an interception because it was made on a two-point conversion attempt. But against New Orleans, Jackson had a rare “pick two” – intercepting a Drew Brees attempt and bolting 98 yards. 

Those are the only NFL points Jackson has scored so far. But with his speed, he seems like a good bet for a more traditional “pick six” at some point in 2019. It would be his first.

“I’d like to get a few more picks this year,” Jackson said. “But more than that, I’d like to get a few more wins.”

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Hope this Tiger returns to form...

Derrius Guice, I agree.  I see he had a hamstring issue early in July, I don't think it was a very bad one, and he says he is looking forward to playing this season.  The Redskins have Adrian Peterson and Adrian is giving advice to Derrius on how to come back from an ACL injury.

• Like 2

Falcons sign former Jets safety to take Rashard Causey's place

210SHARES

By: Tim Weaver | August 2, 2019 4:06 pm

ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

44660c1540cb41198a431843ad7cf6a0.gifi.gif?e=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&s=8e-jUuUJ_e0BKaVxZ7qXsEUHTtgByRhombus.png

We have signed S Ronald Martin and have released DB Rashard Causey.

i.gif?e=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&s=ucZNIvWcbNGNHcFmm992fHivaXY

The Falcons have confirmed the news of rookie cornerback Rashard Causey’s release. The team also announced that they have signed former Jets safety Ronald Martin.

Like linebackers Deion Jones and Duke Riley, Martin is another product of LSU, a program with a reputation for producing excellent NFL defensive backs.

Martin went undrafted after college and first signed with the Seahawks in May of 2015. He was waived not long after though and got picked up by the Jets. Martin was on and off New York’s practice squad through the end of the 2016 season. From there, Martin signed with the Colts prior to the start of the 2017 season. He also had a brief stint with the Ravens, but he spent last season with Indianapolis on their injured reserve list. Martin has played in 13 career NFL games, mostly as a backup with the Jets.

Whether or not he makes the team will likely be decided by how well he plays during the preseason.

This is an enjoyable interview with OBJ and Jarvis.  OBJ sounds more settled, dare I say mature.  There is a lot of spotlight in NY.  OBJ was ditched in NY, and no matter what they say, it had to hurt a little.  Maybe he realizes he crossed a line.  Maybe it will do him some good. 

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/exclusive-interview-cleveland-browns-wide-receivers-odell-beckham-jr-jarvis-land

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the Patriots have waived rookie quarterback/wide receiver Danny Etling.

Last year’s seventh-round pick, he hung around on the practice squad as a quarterback, before they tried to transition him to receiver this offseason.

While it might have been an interesting story, he was always a long shot to make it at a new position, on a team with a number of new faces there.

Report: New team claims Danny Etling one day after his release from New England Patriots

Keith Farner | 6 hours ago

Danny Etling was without an NFL team for less than a day.

The former LSU quarterback, who started for two years with the Tigers, who was released Tuesday by the New England Patriots, was reportedly claimed by the Atlanta Falcons, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media. It’s not immediately clear which position he would play with the Falcons after Etling experimented at quarterback and receiver during his roughly one year with the Patriots, who drafted him in the seventh round.

00:05

The Falcons recently lost QB Kurt Benkert to a toe injury.

Etling saw only two offensive snaps in the Patriots’ preseason opener last week in Detroit, and didn’t make a catch.

• 1 month later...

Sept. 13, 2019

The Washington Redskins have placed running back Derrius Guice (knee) and defensive lineman Caleb Brantley (foot) on Injured Reserve, the team announced Friday.

On Thursday, head coach Jay Gruden said Guice underwent a "small procedure" on his knee, which he injured in the Redskins' season-opening loss in Philadelphia. Guice, who rushed 10 times for 18 yards in Week 1, had his right knee checked out by the trainers during the game before being cleared to return. However, Guice still felt sore on the bus after the game, prompting further evaluation.  

Last preseason, Guice tore his ACL in his left knee, which robbed him of his entire rookie campaign.

“I don’t have a concern with [Guice] getting back to full strength," Gruden said. "He came back extremely strong with the much more damaged knee last time. This is a minor procedure from what I’ve been told and he will be back. Great kid, works extremely hard, and eventually he’s going to show Redskins nation what he’s all about."

Per NFL rules, players placed on IR are able to return to the active roster after eight weeks. This means the Redskins could activate Guice and Brantley during their bye week in Week 10. Both players would then be able to play the next week against the New York Jets on Nov. 17. Teams are only able to bring two players off IR per year.