Gameday Tigers

Tigers in the NFL

houtiger

• 2 months later...

Jarvis Landry named Cleveland Browns’ Walter Payton Man of the Year

Jarvis Landry named Cleveland Browns’ Walter Payton Man of the Year

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Jarvis Landry celebrates after an NFL football game against the Buffalo Bills, Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019, in Cleveland. The Browns won 19-16. (AP Photo/David Richard) (Source: David Richard) 
By Randy Buffington | December 12, 2019 at 9:58 AM CST - Updated December 12 at 12:25 PM 

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - Jarvis Landry has been named the 2019 Cleveland Browns’ Walter Payton Man of the Year.

Landry was recognized as one of the NFL’s best players for his performance on the field and his dedication to the community.

“Jarvis brings such a great passion and energy to everything he does, and that has allowed him to not only be exceptional as a football player but also as a leader and as a man.” 
General Manger John Dorsey 

This year, Landry was a co-chair and emcee for the Greater Cleveland Food Bank’s Taste of the Browns.

A few weeks back he was among several Browns players giving back for Thanksgiving.

The event raised more than $350,000 and the equivalent of 1.4 million meals for Northeast Ohio families in need.

Cleveland Browns Walter Payton Man of the Year Award nominees since 1999:

1999 OG Jim Pyne

2000 LB Jamir Miller

2001 LB Wali Rainer

2002 RB Jamel White

2003 QB Kelly Holcomb

2004 DE Kenard Lang

2005 QB Trent Dilfer

2006 QB Charlie Frye

2007 WR Braylon Edwards

2008 K Phil Dawson

2009 WR Mike Furrey*

2010 OL Joe Thomas

2011 WR Joshua Cribbs

2012 OL Joe Thomas*

2013 LB Jabaal Sheard

2014 LB Craig Robertson

2015 TE Gary Barnidge

2016 OL Joe Thomas

2017 TE Randall Telfer

2018 LB Christian Kirksey

2019 WR Jarvis Landry

Buffalo Bills cornerback Tre’Davious White leads the NFL in interceptions

Following his two-pick night, Tre is on top!

By Matt Warren  Dec 16, 2019, 10:07am EST

Following his two-interception night against the Pittsburgh SteelersBuffalo Billscornerback Tre’Davious White is now tied for the league lead in interceptions. New England Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore also has six interceptions on the year.

White snagged two picks Sunday night, anticipating where Devlin Hodges was going to throw the ball and breaking on it. He also had two interceptions against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 3. He nabbed one each against the Denver Broncos and Miami Dolphins.

The former first-round pick is also third in the league in passes defended, which is a remarkable stat considering he’s not targeted all that much anymore. He’s been able to shut down big receivers all year from Cortland Sutton of the Denver Broncos to Odell Beckham Jr. of the Cleveland Browns

The last Bills player with six or more interceptions was Jairus Byrd in 2009 when the rookie notched nine interceptions. 

If this isn’t the year for White to make the Pro Bowl, the whole thing is a sham. He’s playing at an All-Pro level and the Bills are going to need to open their checkbook soon.

• Like 3

Jamal Adams Is Pro Bowl Bound For a Second Consecutive Year

Landis_Olivia-thumbnail

Olivia Landis

TEAM REPORTER

Jamal Adams is headed to his second consecutive Pro Bowl.

The NFL announced Tuesday that the Jets’ third-year safety earned his second Pro Bowl invitation after he elevated his game and became one of the top defensive players in the league. He leads all NFL defensive backs with 6.5 sacks — a single-season franchise record for DBs, and 1.5 shy of the NFL record held by former S Adrian Wilson (2005).

Although Adams has missed the past two contests due to an ankle injury, he has a team-leading 77 tackles, 14 QH and 2 FF and his 2 TDs rank atop the defense. In addition to the 6.5 sacks and 10 TFL, Adams has also registered 7 PDs and 1 INT. His efforts have helped push defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ unit to a No. 9 overall ranking (328.6 Yds/G) and they have been one of the top rush defenses in football, ranking first in yards allowed per play (3.34) and second in rushing yards allowed per game (88.8).

In an often injury-riddled defense, the Green & White’s No. 6 overall selection in the 2017 NFL Draft has been a consistent force and has produced his best professional season to date.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bucs LB Devin White named Defensive Rookie of the Month

Tampa Bay Buccaneers✔@Buccaneers

Devin White has been named @NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for December.

Devin White Repeats as Rookie of the Month

www.buccaneers.com

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

DJ Chark heading to ProBowl.

Jaguars DE Josh Allen and WR DJ Chark Jr. headed to the Pro Bowl

Josh Allen and DJ Chark Jr. will join DE Calais Campbell at the Pro Bowl this year.

By Demetrius Harvey@Demetrius82  

NFL: Indianapolis Colts at Jacksonville JaguarsDouglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports

Both wide receiver DJ Chark Jr. and rookie defensive end Josh Allen are headed to the 2020 Pro Bowl, the team announced on Sunday. Both players are joining veteran defensive end Calais Campbell as the only three Jaguars to make the Pro Bowl this year. Campbell has made the Pro Bowl for three straight seasons.

View image on Twitter

Chark Jr. enters the game as a third-alternate, filling in for Kansas City Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill and two other players who will not be attending this season. Hill will be playing in the Super Bowl this season after defeating the AFC South’s Tennessee Titans. Allen, the team’s top selection in 2019, enters as a second alternate on the team after San Francisco 49ers’ defensive end Joey Bosa and Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Frank Clark.

Allen becomes the first Jaguars rookie in franchise history to make the Pro Bowl after notching 10.5 sacks in 2019 along with 44 tackles ( solo), 11 tackles-for-loss, 22 quarterback hits and two forced fumbles on the year. Allen was selected to the PFWA All-Rookie team earlier this week.

Chark Jr. gets a Pro Bowl nod after becoming the team’s number one receiver in 2019 — his second year in the league. On the year, Chark Jr. accounted for 73 receptions for 1,008 yards and eight touchdowns on the year. The former LSU standout, and rookie quarterback Garnder Minshew II quickly found chemistry quickly after Minshew replaced veteran quarterback Nick Foles only 11 plays into the 2019 season.

This will be the third-consecutive season the Jaguars have had multiple Pro Bowlers, last season the team had two in Campbell and former Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey. The 2020 Pro Bowl will air on January 26th at 3 p.m. EST., on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and simulcast on ABC and Disney XD.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When Tyrann went to the combine after sitting his Jr. year out, he had gotten himself straight with a little help from PP7.  Deion Sanders watched him work out, he spoke with Tyrann, and Deion said, the kid is solid and somebody is going to get a heck of a player.  Tyrann had success at Phoenix, was going to be the defensive rookie until he tore his ACL, tore the other one the following year.  He had terrific mental toughness to come back from that.  Went to Houston on a one year contract, they loved him, said he was great in the locker room, a leader.  Houston would not match the rest of the market for Tyrann, he landed in Kansas City, now the Chiefs are in the Super Bowl, the first for Tyrann.  The Chiefs say Tyrann is GREAT in the locker room, a leader.

Here's a great interview, Tyrann Mathieu with Deion Sanders:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-gameday-prime/0ap3000001097987/Tyrann-Mathieu-tells-Deion-he-celebrated-for-the-fans-after-K-C-s-AFC-title

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering what was happening in Jacksonville to our Leonard Fournette.  They fired last season's OC and bring in a new OC.

Jan. 22, 2020

The Jaguars announced on Wednesday that Jay Gruden will join coach Doug Marrone’s staff as the offensive coordinator.

Gruden, who was the Washington Redskins head coach for six seasons before he was fired this past October after an 0-5 start, becomes the third offensive coordinator Marrone has hired since 2018.

Gruden, 52, replaces John DeFilippo, who took a job with the Chicago Bears as quarterbacks coach after the Jaguars parted ways with him on Jan. 13.

Gruden emerged as the front-runner after Marrone interviewed former Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan on Saturday and met with former New York Giants head coach Ben McAdoo and former Arizona and Tennessee coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Gruden has plenty of work ahead installing his West Coast offensive system designed around quick-reads, play-action passing, end around plays and taking shots down the field.

The Jaguars struggled offensively under DeFilippo this season, ranking 20th in total offense (341.8 yards per game), 26th in scoring (18.6 average) and 31st in red zone scoring percentage for touchdowns (40.43).

A few years ago, Fournette was the Jags offense.  They went out and brought in Nick Foles and Gardner Minshew, but that didn't produce much last season.  If they can actually mount a passing attack, that could loosen things up for Fournette.  Whachathink?

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see Tigers giving back. 

In first NFL offseason Greedy Williams is giving back

• Mar 3, 2020

Greedy10%, 20% … 60% 

In first NFL offseason, Greedy Williams is giving back

Greedy Williams makes his living in Cleveland, but this offseason he accomplished a goal of buying a house for his family in Shreveport.

"It was cool. It was one of my dreams, just buy a home for me and my family and my daughter, she loves it. She's running all through it and it's a gift to myself."

There's a lot that come with being a professional athlete, but Greedy says he appreciates the role, "I'm able to do things for my family. Just be one of those helping hands, one of the 'call ons' and like I said, it's a great feeling. Mom will call me and she got it, so it's kind of one of the reasons, that's always been my dream to take care of mom and do things for her."

A peek at that family bond was displayed at a Mudbugs game where his girlfriend, daughter and nephew helped in the Krewe of Clawed parade. And also at Greedy's Valnetine's Day event at Shriners hospital where that same nephew and a niece learned how to make an impact of other people's lives, "It's big man, just my niece and nephew and them just watching me and them just walking with me passing out the teddy bears and candy. Me just telling them what this if for and things like that. They're happy to do it and you build kids up like that and I'm pretty sure they'll come everyday and do it. That's the kind of heart they have."

Greedy is in the early stages of his professional career and has a message for those that hope to follow his path, "Just believe in yourself man and know the people that was there with you from day one and always give support back to the people that supported you. It's a great feeling just doing things for the people that helped you out. It's a blessing and it's amazing. What guy don't want to take care of his mom when he gets a lot of money and things like that so that's the message to you guys who's going to go through this phase, just take care of the people that was there for you since day one."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big Whit...

Report: Andrew Whitworth agrees to 3-year extension with Rams

ByBILLY EMBODY 5 hours ago 

Former LSU Tiger Andrew Whitworthagreed to a three-year contract worth roughly $10 million a season, according to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero on Wednesday afternoon. The 38-year old left tackle is a former All-Pro and this could be his last NFL contract before retirement.

"The #Rams are giving LT Andrew Whitworth a 3-year deal worth $30M, source said," NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said in a tweet, confirming the news. "He can get up to $37.5M — $12.5M fully guaranteed. It's the highest paying contract signed by 35+ year old non-QB in NFL history."

Heading into free agency, Whitworth said he'd listen to offers, but wanted to stay with the Rams, where he's made one Super Bowl appearance since joining the franchise.

"Obviously, anytime you're a free agent, you've got to listen to everything and figure out what's best for you," Whitworth said. "But of course, for me and my family, being a Ram would be No. 1, without question."

"I look forward to continue playing and play at a high level. Hopefully the opportunity will be here," Whitworth added after the season. "Obviously, anytime you're a free agent, you gotta listen to everything and figure out what's best for you. Of course, for me and my family, being a Ram would be number one on the list without question."

Rams general manager Les Snead also wanted Whitworth to return to the NFC West franchise, which missed the playoffs after losing Super Bowl LII to the New England Patriots.

"Whit has obviously said he wants to come back and play," Snead said after the 2019 season concluded. "We've got to sit down and discuss, 'Is that the best thing for the Rams? Is it not?' That will come."

In 2019, Whitworth posted a 94 percent Pass Block Win Rate, a metric created by ESPN which measures the rate at which linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer, ranking second among all offensive tackles evaluated this season by the metric.

His first 11 seasons were spent in Cincinnati, where he started 164 of 168 games played, earning two Pro Bowls and an All-Pro selection.

After the 2016 season, the Rams signed him to a three-year, $36 million deal. He went on to start 47 of 47 games played, missing only one contest.

One of Whitworth's teammates in 2019 and fellow former Tiger, defensive lineman Michael Brockers, agreed to a deal with the Baltimore Ravens earlier this week.

When Whitworth does decide to hang up the pads, 2018 third-round pick Joe Noteboom, who had season-ending knee surgery in mid-October, is one of the candidates to eventually take of the left tackle spot. He'll have to get healthy in the future before that happens.

Stick with Geaux247 as we continue to track former LSU Tigers and how they're navigating free agency.

• Like 1

Panthers part ways with Turner and Reid, two Tigers. 

Report: Carolina Panthers releasing safety Eric Reid

BySTEVEN TARANTO 14 hours ago 

Two years ago, the Carolina Panthers gave Pro Bowl safety Eric Reid an opportunity to continue his NFL career when not many others would have. But as the great purge of the Panthers continues, Reid is now back on the free agent market and once again looking for a new NFL team.

According to multiple reports, the Carolina Panthers are releasing Eric Reid, who they had signed early in the 2018 season before giving him a three-year contract last offseason. Reid, a former first-round pick out of LSU and a Pro Bowler in 2013, confirmed his release via his Twitter account.

"It’s been a pleasure Carolina! I enjoyed my time and the support I received from the fans, media, teammates, and staff there will be remembered," wrote Reid. "Looking forward to furthering my career in another city!"

Reid's release is the latest in an avalanche of moves by the Panthers to strip their roster down to its very bolts. After releasing longtime tight end Greg Olsenearlier this offseason and trading Pro Bowl guard Trai Turner to the Los Angeles Chargers. 

Report: Former LSU LB Kevin Minter lands new NFL contract

Adam Spencer | 5 minutes ago

Coming out of LSU in 2013, LB Kevin Minter was a Round 2 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, going to the Arizona Cardinals.

He played for the Cincinnati Bengals in 2017 and then came over to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 2018 season. He also spent the 2019 season in Tampa.

And, according to a report from ESPN’s Field Yates, his time in Tampa will continue at least through 2020. Per Yates, Minter has agreed to a 1-year deal with the Bucs:

The Bucs are re-sigining LB Kevin Minter to a one-year deal that qualifies for the new veteran salary benefit incorporated into the CBA. He's appeared in 21 games in two seasons with Tampa Bay.

In his 7 pro seasons, he has recorded 299 tackles and 6 sacks, to go with 1 fumble forced and 1 fumble recovery.

How will he be used in the 2020 season in Tampa Bay? We’ll see this fall.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bengals OC talks comparison of Joe Burrow, Patrick Mahomes

ByNICK KOSKO Jul 5, 11:20 AM 

Joe Burrow was pretty darn good if you were paying attention to the 2019 college football season. After a pedestrian 2018 season in his first year at LSU, Burrow exploded onto the scene last year throwing for 5,671 yards, 60 touchdowns and six interceptions while winning the Heisman trophy and a national championship.

The way Burrow took the college football world by storm is similar to the way Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes took the NFL by storm in 2018 during his first year as a starter. Mahomes threw for 5,097 yards, 50 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. This begs the question of who Burrow’s NFL comparison is: Mahomes, a standard pocket passer like Jimmy Garoppolo or no one at all?

Speaking with Bengals reporter Geoff Hobson, offensive coordinator Brian Callahan discussed comparing Burrow to any current NFL quarterback.

“We'll find out who he is,” Callahan said. “At the end of the day it sounds kind of ‘Coachish,’ but if we can get the best version of him, that's all that matters. I want guys to look at us and go, 'Man, I want Joe Burrow, that's what I want.' That's why I don't like to compare them. All these players are so different. It's our job to find things he does well enough, showcase that and it's the job of the guys around to help him by doing what they do best. I want Joe Burrow to be himself. Do what he does best and be himself authentically as a person and I think you'll get all that from him.”

Mahomes was also a human highlight reel in college, like Burrow in 2019. In 2016, Mahomes’ final year at Texas Tech, he threw for 5,052 yards, 41 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Heading into the draft, Mahomes was looked at as a highlight machine but someone who thrived in the offense friendly Big 12 conference while Burrow is considered one of the top quarterback prospects in recent memory due to his differing style of play.

However, Mahomes became the MVP in 2018 and won a Super Bowl with the Chiefs in 2019 in just his third NFL season, causing many analysts to consider him the top signal caller in the league. Certainly as a rookie, Burrow has a long way to go. However, Burrow got numerous comparisons throughout the draft process, including Tom Brady, but as Callahan points out, the Bengals simply want “Joe Burrow.”

To ensure early success, the Bengals will run an offense similar to what Burrow is used to, including LSU concepts and West Coast principles, similar to what the Chiefs run. Burrow won’t have an empty cupboard. Playing alongside star receiver AJ Green has its perks, as well as running backs Joe Mixon and Giovanni Bernard. In addition, the Bengals feature rookie wide receiver and Clemson alum Tee Higgns, as well as Tyler BoydJohn Ross and tight end Drew Sample.

The Bengals will debut the new crew week one on September 13th when they host the Los Angeles Chargers.