Gameday Tigers

Devin White Wins Butkus Award

LSUDad

Devin White wins Butkus award

By TigerBait Staff
December 4, 2018
Tweet

BATON ROUGE – LSU junior Devin White has been named the winner of the 2018 Dick Butkus Award, presented annually to the top linebacker in college football.

White was presented the 34th-annual Butkus Award on Tuesday afternoon in the Lawton Room on the LSU campus by Matt Butkus, son of legendary Chicago Bears linebacker Dick Butkus for whom the award is named.

White becomes LSU's first winner of the Butkus Award and winner of the school's 25th national award. White is the first LSU Tiger to claim a national award since Odell Beckham Jr.

A lot of LB have his size, strength, and work ethic.  Not many have his speed, and intellect.  Mike Singletary comes to mind.

At LSU, it sends me back to Michael Brooks in the late '80's for a comparable player.  And that is passing up a lot of fine LB!

Over the years, LSU has had some really good LB’s taken in the first round. White has a great chance to be taken earlier than these two Tigers. 

In 1977 AJ Duhe went in the first round the 13th player taken. 

1989 Eric Hill was taken in the first round, the 10th player taken. 

4 hours ago, LSUDad said:

In 1977 AJ Duhe went in the first round the 13th player taken.

Duhe was a very interesting player.  He played DT for McClendon at LSU, played the line for a year with the Dolphins, then moved to LB in the pro's.  He was very agile and had speed on the d-line at LSU, probably became the model of a 3 - 4 outside linebacker.

After being drafted in the first round (13th overall) by the Miami Dolphins in 1977, Duhe was named the 1977 Associated Press NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year after tallying 83 tackles and leading the Dolphins with seven sacks.

He switched to linebacker for the 1980 season, where he amassed 84 tackles with 5½ sacks. In 1981, he was second on the team with 110 tackles and added 7½ sacks and was named first team All-AFC by the UPI.

Duhe is perhaps best known for his legendary performance in the 1983 AFC Championship game against the New York Jets, during which he intercepted three Richard Todd passes and returned one 35 yards for a touchdown in a 14-0 win, sending the Dolphins to the first of two Super Bowls. He was selected All-Pro twice and was named to the 1984 Pro Bowl.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_84560354-8b0d-11e8-ba63-ef21cf2f6c76.html

Devin White lays out reasons for potentially returning to LSU

ANDREW OLSON | 6 HOURS AGO

Junior LB Devin White has a big decision to make whether to enter the NFL Draft or return for his senior season at LSU. With White being universally recognized as one of the best linebackers in the country, it might seem like his decision is made for him. It’s clear to anyone that has watched him play that he has a future playing on Sundays. That could very well start in 2019.

White, however, appears to be genuinely conflicted. Judging by what he told reporters on Tuesday, the Springhill, La. product feels he has some unfinished business in Baton Rouge.

“I said at media day I wanted to be the best linebacker of all time at LSU,” White said at a media opportunity. “I don’t know if I’ve reached that yet. I want to win a championship for Louisiana. I see the videos of guys like Matt Flynn kissing the trophy and wonder, ‘Why can’t that be me?'”

White is currently CBS Sports’ No. 8 overall prospect for the 2019 NFL Draft. Potential first-round picks are often advised to leave early.

Tigers coach Ed Orgeron told reporters Tuesday that White has not informed him of an NFL decision. He applauded the linebacker for committing to play in the Fiesta Bowl.

“He could have opted to not play,” Orgeron said. “He has not told me if he’s declaring. He has done what he should do and finish with his team.”

Archived